Weaning during pregnancy

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Weaning during pregnancy

Postby MegsIsMommy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:28 pm

After seven cycles TTC we are pregnant! DD still is nursing many times throughout the day and night. What is the easiest way for her to get her to wean without causing resentment towards the new baby? She loves her "ninny"!
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Weaning during pregnancy

Postby KJ511 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:54 am

Have you told her you're pregnant? Maybe you can start the weaning process without working talk of the baby into it... I'm not sure, I'm only on #1 and she's just 12 weeks old, so no experience--just my thoughts!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jessm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 am

I only have 1 baby, so I have no experience.

I would start by night weaning. She's old enough to where you can explain to her that ninny goes night night when she does and she can have them again in the morning. Then I would cut down to just nap time, morning and night. You should be able to keep her busy playing/distracted for cutting out those nursing sessions. As you are ready to cut out the rest I would tell her she's a big girl now, and big girls drink milk from a cup. It's going to be hard. I wouldn't worry too much about resentment towards the baby, I don't think you'll get that until the baby is actually here, and she's going to be jealous no matter what.

I know a few ladies on here tandem nurse, that's an option also.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby oktober84 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Wish I could say there is some magic trick but alas here I am with my 3 1/2 year old daughter, pregnant with #2 and she is not ready to give up her Boo Boo's. If you figure it out let me know lol :) good luck mama.
ME-33 DD-7 DS-3 DD-1

March 19 2009 Haley Gianna Mikaela was born 5lbs 15oz. (39+3 WEEKS)
April 11 2013-Lucas Brian Alexander 6lbs 6oz (36+4 WEEKS)
May 07 2015- Tenley Grace Daenarys 6 lbs 4oz (37 WEEKS)
Baby #4 due September 07 2017
oktober84
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:31 am

My son was only a year and a half so maybe he wasn't so "set in his ways", but we just took one nursing at a time. Starting with nighttime, DH started going in at night and helping out so he wouldn't expect nursing. Then I started adding to our naptime routine book reading and a drink of milk or water, so then when I cut out nursing and just read a book he really wasn't that fazed. I tried to do it gently, but since he was showing less interest anyway, it really wasn't that hard.

If I were you, I wouldn't even mention the new baby. She doesn't have to make that connection between weaning and baby coming, just take it one feeding at a time. One thing I did is once we cut out a nursing session, I never went back, even if he cried. We just found alternatives. That way he would know that I wasn't going to be inconsistent and give it one time and not the next. Once it was gone, it was gone!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Stacette » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:51 pm

I'll be following this thread. I have an almost 3 year old (in 2 weeks), and she LOVES her milkies. She doesn't know I'm pregnant yet, but she'll find out soon enough. Tandem nursing is not something I'm interested in, so hopefully it's a smooth transition for us.

Good luck! To all of us!
Stacy
Emily - 12.19.07
Chloe - 12.20.09
Conley - 7.25.13
Baby #4 - EDD 5.20.16

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Stacette
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Breastfeeding