Storing pumped milk

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Storing pumped milk

Postby carak21 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:16 pm

I have been EBF for 4 weeks now and I am ready to introduce a nighttime bottle for DH to feed the baby. If I pump right before he gets home for that feeing I wont have a problem, but if I start my pumping earlier in the day, is it ok to let the milk sit out or should I refridgerate it?

Also how do I go about warming up milk after I take it out of the refrigerator?

And one more question, if he is done eating and there is more in the bottle should I dump it or can I use it for another feeding?

I try to find all this info online but nothing tells me anything good :( any help is much appreciated.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Storing pumped milk

Postby Jacana28 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:59 pm

As an exclusive pumper for the past 14.5 months here is what I did/do

--Breast milk can sit out at room temperature for up to 8 hours and still be ok for baby to drink. However, I have never done this and always refrigerated it after I was done pumping.

- After you take it out, you let it sit out on the counter to warm to room temp or can you place it in a cup of hot water to warm. Do not microwave breastmilk. I did this in the beginning for DD, but after a while she preferred it cold right out of the fridge. She won't take it warmed up now.

--I have always used any unfinished breastmilk for the next feeding. I just rinse out the nipple of the bottle and put it back in the fridge or I would dump it into the next bottle.

--Another word of advice.....always try to stay one bottle ahead of your LO. This way you have something to offer when they are hungry and screaming and they don't have to wait while you pump a bottle for them.
Julia

DD: 9/27/11~ 26.2 week preemie
78 days in the NICU
Exclusive Pumper---Platinum!

DS: 3/16/15- 39.1 week termie

Jacana28
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jessm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 am

You can re-offer breastmilk as long as you put it back in the fridge and offer it within I think 8 hours? I have always done this. That stuff is liquid gold.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:45 pm

I've also been EPing and have let milk sit out if the next feeding will be within 8 hours. DS has never had a problem with it. If the next feeding that I'll need the milk for is longer or I pump more than I need, I put it straight in the fridge. If I need fridge milk, I warm it in some hot water. Every other day, I take the milk from the fridge and add it to my freezer stash. So far, I've saved up about 2500 ounces that way.
Me: 28 DH: 30
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
8w3d :angel: 5w0d :angel: 4w3d :angel:
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

:hb: Our little miracle Mason arrived on February 22, 2012! :hb:

Expecting TWINS June 2014 after just one round of treatments! :shock:

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby carak21 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:04 pm

That's a great idea to add it to the freezer stash. Do you combine ounces together? I read somewhere that you should add fresh BM to already frozen but I didn't really understand why.

Thank you for all the tips ladies. I feel so clueless about a lot of things.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:58 am

You can only combine milk that is the same temperature. You have to cool it first if you want to add to your fridge. Freezer, once its frozen that's it. I usually would pump into the same bottles for up to 6 hours, I still do that at work.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding