Some days I just want to quit!

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Some days I just want to quit!

Postby MohawkPrincess » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Hey ladies,
I don't post much around these boards anymore but used to when my first born was a baby! (she'll be 6 in Jan!!) Anyways, I came here because I know this was a great place for support when feeling down.. Anyways, I have a 5 year old, P, 3 year old, I, and our precious 5 month old, M, whom I am nursing.. My husband works out of town for 10 days and is home for 4 :( Life is busy and I'm doing it all by myself (big high 5 to single moms) I've come to a point now where it would be so much easier for me to give M a bottle and have her be full than constantly cluster feeding b/c she is so distracted by everything, I've tried nursing her in another room but with the other kids sometimes that just isn't possible.. She gets distracted by shirt or a receiving blanket on chest, LOL! I give her a bottle of formula in the evening before bed b/c that is what I call "witching hour" and the other 2 go crazy and then M sleeps from 630pm-3ish! With her going for so long the temptation of breaks during the day is looking good! I'd be able to cook dinner at a regular time instead of doing bits and pieces throughout the day, I'd be able to take the clothes out of the dryer and fold them before they get wrinkly! But then, when I see people post pictures of newborns with bottles I get so proud that I breastfeeding.. But then, come morning when I've been up since 3am feeding her every 1/2 and having the get the kids ready, the formula idea pops back in my head.. Help! Advice, tips, something?!?
DD- Jan 2007
J- Dec 2008 :angel:
DS- Oct 2009
DD- July 2012: our anti c baby, enjoyed 6 days in the NICU
MohawkPrincess

Re: Some days I just want to quit!

Postby jessm » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 am

It could just be a phase. Growth spurts are evil, but only last a week or so. Every time your baby gets breastmilk is better than not. If you really feel you can't do it exclusively, what about using formula or pumped milk at night and nursing regularly during the day?
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Re: Some days I just want to quit!

Postby BeccaM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:27 am

I never used formula, but I have to admit, sometimes I longed to do something differently when DS was about that age (5 mos). We had some major struggles around 5 months, but they DID get better!! He started cutting teeth then, plus he got a lot more distractible and fussy at the breast and so on...

Like Jess M said, could you pump sometime during the day when he goes longer between a feeding and then feed her that in the night? Also, she is getting older. She could start a little bit of solid food soon. I have read that things like egg yolks cooked and softened with breastmilk are a great first food, or avocadoes or bananas. Better than rice crereal.

I encourage you to keep going! It will get better soon!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding