transitioning from pumping to BF

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

transitioning from pumping to BF

Postby miaowington » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:28 am

My baby was born seven week premature due to pre-eclampsia. I started pumping right away with a hospital-grade pump, & I was pleased to discover that the only supply issue I might have is an OVER-abundance of milk. My baby is now just over three weeks old & it looks like she's going to be released from the NICU on Monday. She's been getting breast milk from the start through her feeding tube, & I have been putting her to the breast several times a day for close to two weeks. For the last few days, she has been getting bottles of breast milk when I'm not there to BF her directly.

Now that she's coming home soon, I'd like to exclusively breastfeed. The problem is that she only takes about 50ml per feed, but I pump between 150 & 200ml per session. & even that doesn't empty me. The lactation consultants say I will have to keep pumping after she comes home just for the sake of my own comfort. I'm okay with that, but I need to taper off eventually. I can't afford to keep renting this pump forever, & I don't want to get into the bad habit of seeing her struggle at the breast (because she is still pretty tiny & doesn't have the easiest time with my huge engorged breasts, even right after I pump) & thinking, "Oh well, I'll just give her a bottle."

Any tips? I've been pumping seven or eight times a day--every three to four hours around the clock, for fifteen minutes at a time. Should I shorten my pump sessions? Decrease frequency? How do I balance that with her feeds at the breast?
me: 33
my dude: 32
:future baby girl: Ramona Astrid is here!

BFP on 5/1/12
19DPO beta: 1638
21DPO beta: 3764
:hb: 5 weeks: 124
:hb: 7 weeks: 146
:hb: 7 weeks 5 days: 168
:hb: 12 weeks 6 days: 147
:hb: 19 weeks 6 days: 141
born via emergency Cesarean on November 30, 2012!
4lbs., 11ozs., 17.75 in.
miaowington
Star Member
Star Member

Re: transitioning from pumping to BF

Postby DueInMayMamma » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 pm

I wish I had some advice for you...but I just wanted to pop in and say well done!!!! You've done a tremendous job getting milk for your little one when most would have thrown in the towel by this point. Are you a SAHM or a working momma? If you're a SAHM, then your supply should even out a little bit after you bring baby home (by a little bit I mean a few weeks from what I've heard) but if you're a working mom, it might be worth it to buy a pump. I work and DD is almost 8 months old, and I STILL make way more milk than she needs and I get engorged. Best of luck, please post updates!!
**It's a Girl!**
Sairsha Sophia, born May 4th, 2012 @ 8:28 a.m.

DH: 25
Me: 21

DueInMayMamma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby litmajor » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:55 am

I loathe pumping with the fire of a thousand suns, so no useful advice for you there, but as for her struggling at the breast.. Have you tried a nipple shield? Sometimes the feel of them helps, as it's closer to the bottle. It might help her transition.

Also, I lurk the DDCs and saw your birth story on there.. Sounds like you guys have had a tough few weeks, but glad she's coming home and things are going (relatively) well! She's a cutie :)
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby miaowington » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:52 am

Update: Turns out part of the reason Ramona was struggling at the breast is because she had a natal tooth! It popped up the day after we got her home. It was rubbing on the bottom of her tongue during feeding & hurting her. Apparently she could fit her tongue around the nipple of the bottle in a way that didn't hurt. We had the tooth extracted but she's still not so good at the breast. I think it could be an over-supply issue. Trying to drink from the breast is like trying to use a fire hydrant as a water fountain. She does better with a nipple shield but still not great.

I don't really mind pumping at all, so I am kind of wondering if maybe I will end up exclusively pumping/giving her BM in bottles. It's not what I expected AT ALL, but I guess that's the nature of motherhood. You can't predict anything.
me: 33
my dude: 32
:future baby girl: Ramona Astrid is here!

BFP on 5/1/12
19DPO beta: 1638
21DPO beta: 3764
:hb: 5 weeks: 124
:hb: 7 weeks: 146
:hb: 7 weeks 5 days: 168
:hb: 12 weeks 6 days: 147
:hb: 19 weeks 6 days: 141
born via emergency Cesarean on November 30, 2012!
4lbs., 11ozs., 17.75 in.
miaowington
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jessm » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:48 am

I would say gradually reduce the amount of time you pump. Your supply should regulate. You could eat peppermint which is supposed to lessen supply?
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding