first pp cycle??

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

first pp cycle??

Postby ashleybrooke » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:12 am

Okay, so part of this question doesn't really concern breastfeeding, but I was wondering about the first pp cycle while EBF.

I EBF my 5 month old son and have not had any bleeding except for pp bleeding that lasted 5-6 weeks. On December 28, I went and got a tattoo and piercing and that night, I had light pink bleeding and nothing for the rest of the night. The next day for part of the day I had light red bleeding and the last half of the day it was light brown...nothing since then. Only about a day and a half of bleeding. Do you think getting the tattoo/piercing kind of triggered something? Or maybe because my son had breasts milk in a bottle for 6 hours and I was not able to pump during that time and maybe my body thought I was starting to wean him or something?? (Didn't think it would trigger a reaction that fast though lol)

Anyways...how far pp were you when you got your first cycle? And was it like a regular cycle?
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: first pp cycle??

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 am

If you went an extended period of time without nursing, it might have triggered the spotting. Some women's bodies are more sensitive to that than others.

I got my first PPAF at 17 months with my oldest and it was a nightmare. It was very heavy to start with, and then I spotted/bled for NINE weeks before I finally went on hormonal BC to make it stop.

With my second, I got it at 16 months and it was completely normal, but a bit heavier than usual. I've had 5 now and while there is no real regularity to them (varying from 30-48 days between) when they do come they are pretty normal.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 am

Had my first PP AF around 3 1/2 - 4 mos PP. I started temp charting before that and noticed a dip around O and then bleeding a couple weeks later. I can't remember, but I think it was slightly lighter than normal but pretty normal? After that I had them regularly, but not as close together as I normally would. I think my next one was 6 - 8 weeks later and the next one 5 - 6 weeks after that and then they pretty much settled into my typical pattern. They were all pretty normal in heaviness and duration. I was still EBF'ing totally (though DS did sleep 7 - 8 hrs a night for a month stretch around the time I got it back).
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 am

I still haven't gotten my first PP AF (knock on wood) and we've been EBFing for almost 5 months, and my DD STTN for 7-10 hours a night. I think everyone's body is just different. A girl in my TTC group has a son a few weeks older than DD, and she got her first AF since him, and she said it wasn't so bad, not super heavy or painful...but I've also heard women say it was the worst they've ever had. Just depends on your body.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:59 pm

I'm EPing and down to just three pumps per day with a 10 hour stretch overnight (trying to cut down to two), but still haven't had my first AF yet since having my son last February.
Me: 28 DH: 30
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
8w3d :angel: 5w0d :angel: 4w3d :angel:
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

:hb: Our little miracle Mason arrived on February 22, 2012! :hb:

Expecting TWINS June 2014 after just one round of treatments! :shock:

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 am

I got it at 11 months.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby ashleybrooke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 am

So, I guess it was the start of my first cycle last month :(

Yesterday I started heavy bleeding and bad cramping for a while, still bleeding today, but no cramps as of now....worried my supply will drop, so I'm going to try to pump at least 2-3 times a day as well as feed on demand. I usually have very regular 28 day cycles (except the cycle I got pregnant on with DS and now my pp cycles) Last month it started on December 28, this month, it started yesterday, January 22....and no mid cycle bleeding, so hopefully they will regulate soon. I am not (and don't plan to ever be) on BC, DH and I want to have another baby in the near future. We will likely begin "trying" (between co-sleeping and DH work schedule, we barely dtd lol) again within the next 6 months.

Any ladies that BF and have babies close in age?

Also, OT, I'm hoping to do BLW, I have been reading on several sites, but if any of you ladies have any safe/healthy recipes that baby (and DH and I) can eat, would you mind sharing??

Some of the sites I already read on are:

babyledweaning.com
wholesomebabyfood.com (or maybe it's wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com - can't remember, probably both the same site lol)
There's another that I've read on, but can't remember the name of it.
I also read the BIB facebook page, and get some ideas off Pinterest.
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:06 am

Ashley, for BLW, I recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Led-Weaning- ... 337&sr=8-1

The authors also made a cookbook (which I'm going to buy in the next few weeks):
http://www.amazon.com/The-Baby-Led-Wean ... gy_b_img_y

I'm told the recipes in the cookbook are for 2 adults and a baby :)
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks, Mary Beth! I will check those out. I may have to order a cook book, too. Hastings (I'm not sure if you're familiar with the store, I wasn't until my husband took me to it lol) may have some good cook books, as well. My husband doesn't want DS to have store bought baby food (yay, glad he agrees with me on that haha - and hopefully this homemade stuff works out for us so we won't have to resort to store bought food for baby boy!) I'm somewhat excited, but still kind of not to start him on food! Partially because I am really proud of breastfeeding (even though he'll obviously still be BF mostly) and also because I will have to completely modify my meal plans.
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 pm

The whole point of BLW is that you don't have to modify your meal plans. Baby eats what you eat. Unless you aren't eating healthy foods, or are eating pre-packaged things. BLW encourages lots of fruits and veggies. Plus, baby should still be BFing the same amount. You feed the baby when he isn't hungry, so that way he'll be less fussy about it, and will still be getting all his nutrition from BM. During the first several months, they don't eat a lot anyhow. It's just to get them used to different tastes and textures in their mouths.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:07 pm

That's the problem lol....we don't really eat healthy :/ and we do eat some "box" meals. I know on some of the sites I listed, it tells what foods are safe for baby at what age and also gives recipes. We tend to eat a lot of greasy foods and rarely any fruits/vegetables (well, not fresh anyways). I think the healthiest meal I make is Shepherd's Pie! That's sad! But I read that "white potatoes" (assuming that means anything but sweet potatoes?) are a no-no until at least 8-10 months old

And I know that a lot of meats are fine for him to eat, but I'm weird and paranoid about giving him any meats for a while! (I am not a very good cook and I won't even eat a lot of the meats I cook)
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Jacana28 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:41 am

I was 12.5 Months PP when I got my first AF. At that time was was exclusively pumping 4x per day. Since that time, I have gotten one every month or so (anywhere from 24-44 days), I'm hoping once I wean they will become more regular.
Julia

DD: 9/27/11~ 26.2 week preemie
78 days in the NICU
Exclusive Pumper---Platinum!

DS: 3/16/15- 39.1 week termie

Jacana28
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Breastfeeding