Pumping at work

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Pumping at work

Postby carak21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 am

My son is 2 months old on Saturday and yesterday I went to work to fill I for a teacher. I only worked 730-200 so I only pumped one time at 12. When I did, I only got around 4 ounces of milk. Well in that time frame my baby ate around 5 ounces. I don't understand why I didn't get much milk when after a feed in the morning I can pump and get close to six ounces even after he nurses. Will this get better with time or should I start pumping more? To give you some information, I will be going back the first week of February working 7-2 or 3 but I cannot pump between the hours of 8-12 because that's is my teaching times :-/.
Any advice ladies?
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Pumping at work

Postby mrsg2008 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 am

Supply tends to be higher in the morning, so if you pump in the afternoon, you may not get as much. Maybe try to work a few pumps in during the afternoon before you go back to work so your body learns it needs to make more milk at that time.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jessm » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Pumping is tricky. You were in a different environment, probably a little stressed and that can affect it. Don't stress over pumping exactly what baby eats. That just hurts matters. Things will even out. I ended up having to supplement with a little formula starting around 5 months, but I made it to the full year of pumping at work. I just stopped. It's hard work and I applaud you!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby KJ511 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:21 am

Sometimes when DD takes bottles (maybe once per day if that) she sucks down a ton of milk, and sometimes she only takes 2-3 oz. at a time. And when I pump I get anywhere from 2-6 oz. on a side. It really just depends! You'll be fine and so will your precious baby! You are doing the best thing for him--you deserve major props! :D
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:24 pm

I pumped for my 2 older kiddos until they turned 1. I wasn't usually able to pump as much during work hours as my little ones ate during the day. This was not necessarily a supply issue, but mostly because I couldn't pump as often as they ate, stress, and having trouble getting my milk to let down. My milk pretty much lets down instantly when I nurse, or sometimes even just seeing my baby and realizing he hasn't eaten for a while, but my boobs are not quite as responsive to the pump! It helps to see a picture of your baby while you pump, to relax as much as possible, not to watch the clock, and not to worry about how much milk you're getting.

Are you building a freezer stash for when you go back to work? This is really what helped me on those days that I just couldn't get enough milk. I also would pump in the morning before work while I breastfed my baby (pump from one boob, nurse from the other) to have an extra bottle ready for the day. I was able to get both kids to a year old without ever having to supplement with formula, but it was definitely a commitment! I'm hoping I'm able to do it again this time around, but I don't have nearly as much time to pump and build a freezer stash as I did before with my 2 older kids running around so we'll see!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding