Drinking Mother's Lactation Tea

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Drinking Mother's Lactation Tea

Postby PiscesPassion » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Is it safe to start drinking this during pregnancy??? I'm trying to find safe ways I can start preparing for a good milk supply before baby is born, any suggestions?? :mrgreen:
Jennifer (33) Michael (35)
Michael William born 9-5-08 after 3 years TTC
Kylie Elizabeth due on 6-27-13 after 15 months TTC

ImageImage

PiscesPassion
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Drinking Mother's Lactation Tea

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:55 am

I don't think it would make sense to drink it while pregnant. Your milk doesn't come in for a few days after your baby is born, it doesn't build up while pregnant. I would wait until about 2 weeks after you give birth, to see what kind of supply you have, then you could take something to help your supply if it truly isn't up to par. Unfortunately there is no way to prepare for a good supply. The best thing you can do once the baby is born is drink LOTS of water, and put your baby to breast often. It's the suckling action that tells your body to make more milk. Do you have a lactation consultant at your hospital? They are a great source of information on BFing. Otherwise, you can get help/advice from La Leche League:
http://www.llli.org/
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Drinking Mother's Lactation Tea

Postby jessm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 am

I hear women ask this question a lot on some breastfeeding groups I'm in.

There really isn't anything you can do to make sure your milk comes in during pregnancy. Try not to stress. Remember 99% of the time the milk will come in. Don't fall prey to the "booby traps" (linked below) and you should be alright. Nurse often, lots of skin to skin and demand to see an LC. If you have issues pump nurse pump nurse pump nurse. It'll all be okay :)

http://www.bestforbabes.org/what-are-the-booby-traps
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding