When will supply equal demand?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

When will supply equal demand?

Postby unaffected » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Ok, I'm new to this whole breastfeeding gig. Henry is 10 days old, and I'm just wondering when my supply will equal his demand? Right now I seem to have more milk than he cares to drink, which makes for some incredibly painful downtime between feedings. Yesterday he was wanting to eat every hour, which was awesome. Today it's every three hours, which leaves me wincing in pain after about hour two. I talked to a lactation consultant a couple days ago when my left breast became incredibly engorged and had me in tears. She mentioned cabbage leaves, and I've used them twice today but not to any real relief. I know pumping is an option, but I want my supply to regulate, and I don't really want to make my body think I need that much milk quite yet.

Thoughts or advice? I would really appreciate it!
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Re: When will supply equal demand?

Postby h0ping » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Hi!!! Your supply should even out soon....until then you can also try warm washcloths or hot shower let the water hit the breast (I did it from the side not directly on the front but do what s comfy for you) and if you have to pump ...nit much a half ounce or so whatever it takes to just relieve the pain and pressure if you don't empty the breast your body won't get the signal to make more.....you can then freeze the small amount you pump (again just enough to relieve pain) or dump it its up to you......

I am only 4.5 months onto this bf thing myself but happy to help if I can!!!!! Good luck

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby mrsg2008 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:37 am

I agree with the pp. Warm washcloth or shower will make it feel better. You can pump or hand express just enough to relieve the pressure, and it won't affect your supply. I think my supply was regulated within 2-3 weeks, so it shouldn't be too much longer. Hope you can get some relief soon! The first few weeks of BFing really are the hardest, and it does get better! :)
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby litmajor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 am

I'm also only 4.5 months in, but I second the warm washcloth thing. It definitely helped. Also, is he emptying your breast/s at each feeding?
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby luvin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:52 am

For me it took a few months. The thing is, he will go through some growth spurts that are going to totally throw your balance off for the first few months. What I would recommend is to pump, but not often or much. Pump till you get a letdown, and then just get some off your breast. Don't pump very long, just to get some relief. Doing this a few times won't affect your supply very badly. I had oversupply with both kids during the beginning pretty badly. This is what I found helped the most with DD, and it kept me from being too miserable following a growth spurt. Do you know about kellymom.com? It's an excellent resource for breastfeeding mothers and helped me a ton. I have a 12 month old and never thought I'd still be nursing her, but here I am, and it's all because of the articles on that website, especially in the first few months. :) I'd avoid hot showers, I am easily stimulated and even a hot shower seemed to up my milk production! And for me, oatmeal causes me to make a ton of milk. So avoiding those things in the days following a spurt helped.
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:25 pm

I agree kellymom.com is the best website out there. I had terrible engorgement on day 4 & 5 when my milk came in. So bad that Abby couldnt even latch on. It was like trying to latch onto a blown up beach ball lol

My LC suggested putting bags of frozen veggies (i used frozen berries in ny freezer) between feedings and that really helped. I also took Aleve
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 am

I've definitely been hitting up kellymom.com for info!

Luvin - Hmmm good tip about the oatmeal. I've been eating a lot of oatmeal recently, so I am going to cut that out for now.

litmajor - I'm not really sure if he is emptying my breast(s)...! After he's done at one (and that's just my guess if he's done or not.. still trying to figure that out), it feels much softer and a bit deflated. I'm assuming that means it's empty?
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby jessm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 am

If your breast feels soft again it is empty-ish. Your breast is never TRULY empty as your body is constantly making milk.

Most women's supply regulates in a couple of weeks. You can pump to relieve the discomfort (just a little bit) or hand express. Just until you aren't oh so uncomfortable any more. You'll be happy you have this much milk in the next couple of weeks when he starts eating more. By 6 weeks his milk intake is what it will be for as long as he breast feeds, until it starts lessening when you start solids. I know it sucks at this point, but you'll feel better soon. Don't let yourself get too engorged. Especially if you are pumping at work, you'll be happy to have a little bit of over supply, to build a stash and pump at work. Most women's supply completely regulates by 6 weeks. I had the opposite issue, my milk didn't even come IN for 10 days. :shock:
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby BeccaM » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:12 am

At least you have a good supply of milk! What I did was pump a little bit with a hand pump so that he could at least latch on, during those early days. I froze the extra milk I pumped, so I really didn't mind having a little extra since it was going to be put aside as "back-up". I don't remember having quite as many issues with engorgement and swelling, but then... my hungry little monkey had a fast metabolism and nursed every 1 - 1 1/2 hours most of the day and a couple times at night, so I never had a lot of time for it to build up :)

I do remember when he was around 10 - 12 weeks old, he suddenly started sleeping longer stretches at night and then I was in a lot of pain. I ended up pumping once in the morning and freezing that milk as well.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!

The day after posting this, Henry must have started a growth spurt, because he wanted to eat every hour. That really helped with the painful, full feeling in between feedings. And now, things are really great. I get that full feeling if he goes 3+ hours, but that doesn't happen too often.

It's crazy to me what a difference a day can make in the early days of breastfeeding! :)
TTC#1 since 2007
FET#3 - BFP!
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby jessm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

It is. I promise it gets much easier around the 6 week mark. Well after the 6 week growth spurt at least!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby KJ511 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:47 am

So glad it is going better for you! I had the same thing for a while. No fun to have rocks on your chest! :)
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Breastfeeding