freezing/thawing milk

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

freezing/thawing milk

Postby ashleybrooke » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 am

I have probably 20oz of milk that is a few days past the 3 month mark, (I freeze the milk in a side by side refrigerator/freezer) so I have to use it within the next few days. Milk is good in the fridge for 24 hours AFTER it's thawed, right? I put 5oz in the fridge at around noon yesterday (now 8:45am) and it's still about half froze, I want to use it tonight.

Also, (I forgot to ask in my other post) for those that EBF, did you start solids at 6 months? I kind of want to wait until my son is 8-9 months. (He's 5.5 months now)
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: freezing/thawing milk

Postby h0ping » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:59 am

Hi! From what I understand yes bm is good in the fridge 24 hours after its thawed.....

As far as solids my ds is ebf and is 4.5 months and has been in solids for about a month. In our situation though the doctor recommended it for reflux and now ds LOVES to eat :D (you wouldn't know it he's so tiny) he is very interested and gets upset if I eat and don't give him any which of course I don't give him table food but he gets upset if he doesn't get to eat....I think you should do what you feel is best if your LO isn't showing interest I wouldn't start they get all they need from bm.....

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby Sgtfish129 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 am

My lactation consultant told me that breast milk in the fridge, whether it's thawed or fresh, is good for 3 days...and frozen in a side by side freezer is good for 6 months. If you get one of those big separate freezers it is good for one year. Not sure about the solids. My son is only 6 weeks old and I don't remember when I started that with my 12 year old lol
Me-31, DH-39, DS-13, DSS-7, DS-14months
IUI#1: BFP-Feb 2012 m/c @ 10 weeks :(
IUI#2:june 2013-BFN
IUI#3:august 2013-BFN
IVF#1:BFP!!!!1ST BETA @11dp3dt- 192. 2nd BETA @13dp3dt-469!

Sgtfish129
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jessm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 am

Breast milk is actually a lot more stable than we thought previously. They did a lot of research immediately following Hurricane Sandy. So many women (myself included) had to dump all or portions of their stashes. I luckily only had to dump some.

It is 24 hours after it is completely thawed. It can be kept in the fridge if pumped fresh for 8 days, and it can be frozen on the 8th day. Also, you can rewarm breast milk. If baby doesn't finish the bottle, you can put it back in the fridge for up to 8 hours and offer again. Only once though.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby ashleybrooke » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:35 pm

Okay, thanks everyone!

I actually didn't get to use the milk from the fridge yesterday, I checked it this morning though and it was still pretty slushy, (our fridge stays really cold and actually freezes some of our stuff lol) I'll have my husband give it to DS in a bottle tonight while I cook dinner. And yay...I guess I'll leave the rest of my milk alone for a few more months unless I need it before then!
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby KJ511 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:48 am

jessm wrote:Breast milk is actually a lot more stable than we thought previously. They did a lot of research immediately following Hurricane Sandy. So many women (myself included) had to dump all or portions of their stashes. I luckily only had to dump some.

It is 24 hours after it is completely thawed. It can be kept in the fridge if pumped fresh for 8 days, and it can be frozen on the 8th day. Also, you can rewarm breast milk. If baby doesn't finish the bottle, you can put it back in the fridge for up to 8 hours and offer again. Only once though.

Thanks for the info, Jess! Makes things a lot easier on DH if DD doesn't finish her bottle while I'm at work! :)
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 pm

I didn't know that you could keep the same bottle for 8 hours either! I've always read to pour out what baby doesn't eat after 1 hour.
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Breastfeeding