exclusive pumping

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

exclusive pumping

Postby h0ping » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 am

Anyone out there ep?
Image

Image Image
Image
User avatar
h0ping
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby Sgtfish129 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:07 am

No, but I heard if you only pump and the baby isn't on your breast anymore eventually your milk will dwindle down.
Me-31, DH-39, DS-13, DSS-7, DS-14months
IUI#1: BFP-Feb 2012 m/c @ 10 weeks :(
IUI#2:june 2013-BFN
IUI#3:august 2013-BFN
IVF#1:BFP!!!!1ST BETA @11dp3dt- 192. 2nd BETA @13dp3dt-469!

Image
User avatar
Sgtfish129
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:00 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby jessm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 am

Sgtfish129 wrote:No, but I heard if you only pump and the baby isn't on your breast anymore eventually your milk will dwindle down.


This isn't true if you are very consistent. I know Jacana28 has been successfully pumping exclusively for 16 months. You have to be consistent with your pumping, especially in the early days. Pump 8-10 times a day until you establish a really good supply. Then you can slowly drop pumps and you will get more milk per pump. I pumped at work for 8 months (until my son was 1 year) and I made plenty of milk until he got older and started solids. He wanted more milk than I was making, but I think he was over fed.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
jessm
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby h0ping » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:08 am

jessm wrote:
Sgtfish129 wrote:No, but I heard if you only pump and the baby isn't on your breast anymore eventually your milk will dwindle down.


This isn't true if you are very consistent

***This is what I understand - some people say your milk will dry up but a lot of people are able to do it if done correctly.
Image

Image Image
Image
User avatar
h0ping
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby h0ping » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:10 am

Jessm: Thank you!! I am trying to connect with any other mom's who EP. I have been doing it for 4.5 months and still make more than my DS needs :D I just know a lot of people don't do it and I would love to talk with other mom's who do - or have EP....

Thank you again for your reply!!
Image

Image Image
Image
User avatar
h0ping
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby jessm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 am

h0ping wrote:Jessm: Thank you!! I am trying to connect with any other mom's who EP. I have been doing it for 4.5 months and still make more than my DS needs :D I just know a lot of people don't do it and I would love to talk with other mom's who do - or have EP....

Thank you again for your reply!!


I don't EP, but I do know moms who do/have. A woman in my DDC has done awesome EPing. I'm always so proud of her. In addition to this breastfeeding site, there are EPers boards, but I'm not sure where.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
jessm
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby h0ping » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 am

jessm wrote:
h0ping wrote:Jessm: Thank you!! I am trying to connect with any other mom's who EP. I have been doing it for 4.5 months and still make more than my DS needs :D I just know a lot of people don't do it and I would love to talk with other mom's who do - or have EP....

Thank you again for your reply!!


I don't EP, but I do know moms who do/have. A woman in my DDC has done awesome EPing. I'm always so proud of her. In addition to this breastfeeding site, there are EPers boards, but I'm not sure where.


Thanks Jess..if you know of anyone you can point in my direction or me in theirs I would greatly appreciate it......I think I have been doing well for 4 1/2 months but would love to connect with other moms who EP....questions and concerns arise and some LC's are not supportive of EP!!!!! Crazy!! I figured they would be.....anyway thanks again!!!
Image

Image Image
Image
User avatar
h0ping
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby bethcoop » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:07 am

I will likely be EP''ing, my daughter is only 2 weeks old but due to weight loss and she is sooooo slow and sleepy at the breast her pediatrician recommended to stop nursing but pump. It has helped her weight. But I am likely not going to nurse. I won't feel comfortable just nursing because she is still so little. And once I do feel comfortable I wonder if she will latch again.
We'll see.
But maybe you can give me some advice. My nipples are killing me!!!
I use lanolin and I am trying a different size phalange(? Spelling) today.
Hopefully it helps because OUCH!!!
ImageMake a pregnancy tickerMe: Beth 38, DH:42
Miscarriage at 6 weeks in 2002
DS 2005:)
Chemical 7/2011

BFP 5/10/12
15dpo Beta=97
18dpo Beta=418
6 week US 5/25/12....perfect flicker heartbeat
9 week US was perfect
NT scan on 7/10/12 measured 1.3, nasal bone present
User avatar
bethcoop
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby jessm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:01 am

bethcoop: Definitely make sure you have the correct size flange. Also, you can put olive oil on your nipples before you pump. Your body will get used to it though.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
jessm
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3914
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby h0ping » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 am

Bethcoop: Hi!!! I would be happy to offer any help and suggestions that I can.....I was new to pumping also......I am now almost 5 months in :D a little back story.....I started pumping due to extreme pain during nursing and also my son kept falling asleep on the breast also.....it was recommened that I try pumping even just for a few days to allow my nipples to heal.....but pumping was working well and DS would actually eat instead of falling alsleep!! (well sometimes lol!!!) and I also knew I would eventually have to pump when I returned to work....

for you - I agree - you need the correct size flange and I second what Jess said - try olive oil for awhile to make things easier - I never tried it but I have heard that from lots of people as well as the LC at our local hospital. How often right now are you pumping (times per day - time spent pumping)
How old is your LO???
Again, I am happy to offer any help and suggestions if I can - I am in no way an "expert" lol but do have some experience......

Hope we can talk!!!!
Image

Image Image
Image
User avatar
h0ping
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby KJ511 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 am

I'm not EPing, but my SIL is and she has twins. They are 4 months old and she has SO SO SOOOOO much milk! She and DH had to buy an extra freezer to store all her milk. She pumps every 3 hours except at night she skips a pumping so she can get an extra stretch of sleep. You can totally do it!!!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

Image

Image
The Zebra family! :)
User avatar
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby h0ping » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:49 pm

KJ511 wrote:I'm not EPing, but my SIL is and she has twins. They are 4 months old and she has SO SO SOOOOO much milk! She and DH had to buy an extra freezer to store all her milk. She pumps every 3 hours except at night she skips a pumping so she can get an extra stretch of sleep. You can totally do it!!!


Thanks - I've been at it almost 5 months (pumping) and it's going great - it's funny since so many people told me it would NEVER work!!!!!
Image

Image Image
Image
User avatar
h0ping
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby KJ511 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:49 am

h0ping wrote:
KJ511 wrote:I'm not EPing, but my SIL is and she has twins. They are 4 months old and she has SO SO SOOOOO much milk! She and DH had to buy an extra freezer to store all her milk. She pumps every 3 hours except at night she skips a pumping so she can get an extra stretch of sleep. You can totally do it!!!


Thanks - I've been at it almost 5 months (pumping) and it's going great - it's funny since so many people told me it would NEVER work!!!!!


I hate when people are negative! I admire your dedication--keep it up, mama! You are wonderful!!!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

Image

Image
The Zebra family! :)
User avatar
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby h0ping » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:55 am

KJ511 wrote:
h0ping wrote:
KJ511 wrote:I'm not EPing, but my SIL is and she has twins. They are 4 months old and she has SO SO SOOOOO much milk! She and DH had to buy an extra freezer to store all her milk. She pumps every 3 hours except at night she skips a pumping so she can get an extra stretch of sleep. You can totally do it!!!


Thanks - I've been at it almost 5 months (pumping) and it's going great - it's funny since so many people told me it would NEVER work!!!!!


I hate when people are negative! I admire your dedication--keep it up, mama! You are wonderful!!!



:D Thanks - so sweet :D
Image

Image Image
Image
User avatar
h0ping
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:00 am

Re: exclusive pumping

Postby Jacana28 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:33 am

Awww Jess! Thanks for the kind words :-)

hOping--I'm the 16 month Eper that Jess mentioned. I started EPing the day my daughter was born at 26 weeks and 2 days back in Sept. 2011. Since she was so premature, I no option but to pump. Breastfeeding just never worked out for us and it was important for me to know exactly how much she was getting at each feed. My original pumping goal was 15 months when DD turned 1 adjusted and we could start to introduce whole milk. Well that day came and I wasn't ready to stop especially with flu season being so bad...so here I am. I pump 3x per day about 30-40 minutes each time. (morning, after work, and before bed). It's manageable with my lifestyle and I enjoy the "me" time now. I don't make enough anymore to give DD 100% BM, but enough to give her 3/4 BM and 1/4 whole milk. I have a nice freezer stash too! DD is doing great and I attribute that to her receiving BM since birth :-) Please PM me anytime if you have questions or want to talk.
Julia

DD: 9/27/11~ 26.2 week preemie
78 days in the NICU
Exclusive Pumper---Platinum!

DS: 3/16/15- 39.1 week termie

Image

Image
User avatar
Jacana28
Star Member
Star Member
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 am

Next

Return to Breastfeeding

cron