Question about pumping at work

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Question about pumping at work

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 am

Next week I will be back in the office 2 days a week, and working from home the rest of the week. Right now I'm feeding on demand, and my LO eats every 1-2 hours. I will be gone from her almost 12 hours during the day, during which time period she's normally eat 6-12 times. However, I am only allowed to pump 3 times a day at work. Will this affect my supply, or should it not matter much since it'll only be happening 2 days a week? I haven't had any supply issues so far, and I'm really hoping to avoid them. Any advice at all would be appreciated.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Question about pumping at work

Postby h0ping » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi...I am not sure if I can offer much advise but do you know how long you are going to be able to pump each time? I don't *think* you should have any supply issues since you will be able to pump a few times - I would just try to pump long enough to "empty" your breasts. Do you have an electric pump?? Double or single? I have a double electric pump and it really does work great. Have you started pumping yet to get used to it?

Sorry I can't offer much advise - I have been EP since my DS was a few days old - I do BF on occasion but sadly not very often anymore. But so far I have been succesful with EP (have not had to give any formula) and I am only able to pump once while at work (I work 8 hours).

I am happy to help if I can.....

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 pm

I have a Medela Pump In Style double electric pump. I started using it back in September when I bought it, mainly because I had an oversupply, and it helped relieve my engorgement. I pumped for months, and have a nice freezer stash built up, around 250 ozs. I will be able to pump 15 minutes in the morning, however long I need at lunch, and 15 minutes later in the afternoon. I stopped pumping simply because my freezer is FULL of milk, and as of right now, DD refuses a bottle. I'm hoping she'll take to it more since she'll have to when I'm at work...or she may just be one of those babies that only eats when Mom is around. I was going to try introducing a sippy cup in a few weeks if the bottle continues to be an issue for her.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jessm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:16 am

I think you will be okay. I have stopped pumping at work and only nurse 3x a day during the week (my son is 1) and I still am able to nurse him during the day at home on the weekends. It is only 2 days a week, so I don't think your supply will take a huge hit.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby h0ping » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 am

I think you will be fine - as you said it's only 2 days per week you will be working. Just make sure you pump as much (time - wise) as you can to empty your breasts as best as you can each time that should help.

As far as LO not accepting a bottle - will she take one if you are not there at all??? She might get better as she gets used to you being gone on occasion but she may not. A friend (her oldest is 10 like my DS1) and her baby refused a any bottle and would only nurse.....poor guy and tiring for her!! But he is just fine and if your LO simply won't take a bottle she will be ok....but she may change her mind!!!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby mrsg2008 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks, ladies!

It really depends on her mood. I know she absolutely will not take one if I'm in the house. Since this refusal began, I have left her for a few hours with my mom, and she took down 4 ozs, and I have left her with MIL for 8 hours, and she only took 1 oz. I think she'll be ok. I just miss when she would take a bottle from anyone, anywhere, anytime. *Sigh* I count myself lucky that it's the bottle she refuses, and not the breast. I love nursing. :)
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby h0ping » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:20 am

I think LO may adjust when you are leaving her on a more regular basis......but as you said at least she is not refusing the breast!!! My LO even though takes a bottle of BM almost exclusive still hardly eats when I am at work......I think he would just prefer to eat when he's with me.....good luck!!!!!!!!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Return to Breastfeeding