Yay!

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Yay!

Postby ashleybrooke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:50 pm

So, I know it isn't much, but I've pumped about 34 oz of milk in the past 5 days! So far, I've put 20oz in the freezer and plan to put the 14oz in the fridge in there soon, so I can pump in a couple hours! I'm not sure how much is in my "stock pile" now, I'm thinking between 60-70 oz, HOPING to get to 300 oz by the end of next month. (I know that may be unlikely, and at this rate, it will probably be more like 150-200 oz, IF I keep up with my 2 pump sessions per day) BTW, How can I increase my supply? *think I've already asked that question* the only way I can pump more than a few drops per session is if I only feed for 6-12 hours on one side, then I can get between 3-6 (or 7 if I'm lucky) oz per session...all from the engorged boob, still only a few drops, or half an ounce at most from the other side. Today or tomorrow, I will be going grocery shopping, (DH works on a drilling rig and for some reason, the crews are talking about maybe being off for 1-2 weeks unpaid during this rig move, I'm so hoping that doesn't happen or else my walmart budget will be very tight for the next month - BUT, if he doesn't have that time off, then I can spend about $50 on foods that will/should help increase my milk supply, and about $300 on groceries for meals.) I've heard gatorade is suppose to help and have it on my list as well as water and several gallons of juice, -sorry, but I can't stand to only drink water - I also have granola bars and oatmeal (even though I'm not a huge fan of oats) on my list. I think I'm going to ask DH if he'll clean out the deep freezer tomorrow on his day off so that I can start putting my milk in there, I know everyone said that it is good for 6 months in a side by side freezer/refrigerator, but I'm still worried about it going bad. AND, the freezer is pretty small, the whole top shelf is for my milk, the second shelf for ice packs, vegetables, and *snacks,* and the bottom two are for meats....so my freezer is getting pretty full anyways!
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Yay!

Postby h0ping » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi!! Not sure how much I can help BUT drinking lots of water will help (I am a person who doesn't mind water but I know a lot of people can't drink water all the time......try adding crystal light or other "flavors" to the water) I am not sure about juice or gartoade...it may help just because you are increasing your fluid intake......regular oatmeal is said to help (not instant) and there are a couple herbs you can take - fenugreek is the big one. We have a local health food store and they offer a few different products - one is from Dr. Christopher's called "Mother's Milk" it contains fenugreek and other herbs that are supposed to help increase supply. Also drinking oh shoot forgot the name - Mother's milk tea or something like that????? Sorry drawing a big blank on the actual name.....

Are you still nursing full time??? (In addition to pumping?) What you want to try to do is "empty" your breasts as often as possible - empty breasts give the body the signal to make more milk. Some ladies pump after each nursing session - time consuming but it will help. I have read a lot of ladies try to nurse on one side and pump on the other.......

I don't have any other suggestions at the moment for you but I hope this helps.

Also how old is your LO?

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby ashleybrooke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi, thanks :)

Yes, I nurse on demand. I try to pump the full side (that I don't feed him from for 6-12 hours) as well as the other side...but my pump is definitely no where near as good at getting milk out as my son is. If I pump after/during a feeding, I'm lucky to even get an ounce combined. He nurses A LOT. He will be 6 months old on February 8.
Oh, and I definitely notice an increase in supply when I drink more water and/or juice.
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrsg2008 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:24 pm

Definitely HYDRATE! I drink so much water it's ridiculous. The nurses in the hospital where I delivered were impressed that they didn't have to get after me to drink water. I've been told I'm TOO hydrated. Seriously, I drink a lot of water. :) I'd go for the low calorie Gatorade if you can; you don't want or need all that sugar.

Oatmeal is good, if you can find oatmeal with flax seed in it, that is extra good. At my Wal-Mart, by the instant oatmeal, there are these tiny boxes of oatmeal called Oat Revolution that have flax seed in them. And they taste really good!

Fenugreek can help. Just be advised that if you don't have a supply issue, and you start trying to increase production, your boobs can get SUPER engorged and painful.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 am

Yeah...I don't drink a lot of water at all :/ mainly because I'm weird and only like to drink it out of bottles. DH always just buys 2.5 gallon jugs of water to make tea with, (which I don't drink) since most people advise us not to drink the tap water here. BUT, when we do get bottled water, I try to drink 3-4 bottles a day as well as juice...which I know isn't exactly good for me lol... I will be buying at least 2 cases of water today.

DH was too tired to go to walmart last night, so we will be going some time today. I will look for that type of oatmeal. I'm not sure what Fenugreek is, but I'll look it up real quick. I do not have a supply issue, he definitely gets enough, but if I pump like every 3 hours, I'm lucky to get a 1/2 ounce combined...I'd like to be able to pump about 20 oz a day. I've only been pumping 2 times a day and have been getting 3-6 oz each time (except yesterday, I could only get 2 oz even after only feeding from one side for at least 6 hours.) I'm willing to pump 4-6 times a day, but not if I'm only going to get 1/2 an oz. I'd like to be able to get 3-6oz per session. (I currently freeze the milk in 4-5 oz portions) Also, what are some good bottles? I ended up pouring most of that 5oz bottle out a few days ago because DS just wasn't having it :/ he'll either chew on the nipple or just refuse it. I use the Medela bottles. I think I need a bottle with a smaller, softer nipple. Any suggestions?
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby litmajor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 am

We don't do bottles often, but when we do, DD seems to prefer the Tommee Tippee ones.

I also drink tons of water (my preference, always have, had excellent amniotic fluid probably due to this), and I also like the low-cal Gatorade. I actually find that the low-cal stuff tastes better to me than the regular Gatorade- but this might also be tied to my preference for water to begin with. Good luck! I'm super jealous of your stash! Mine consists of 4 oz right now.. :(
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby h0ping » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:33 am

Yes - water is always your best friend lol while breastfeeding/pumping - I am also a big water drinker and can tell if I am not able to drink my usual amount. As far as being able to increase the amount you are pumping I am not sure - all I can say is what I said before - is to empty the breasts as often as possible but since you are nursing full time also I am not sure.....And since I EP I am not really sure what to tell you.....

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 am

Maybe you need to train your body to make a little extra milk. Pump for about 5-10 minutes after each feed. You won't get a lot at first, but eventually your body will realize it needs to make more milk. I nurse Lorelai on demand, and yesterday I went back to work for the first time, and I pumped 16 ozs in 3 sessions. I don't know if it will always be that good, we'll see. Luckily I have about 250 ozs of frozen stash, but that was months and months of me pumping 4-8 ozs. every day.

Has Damien taken the Medela bottles before? Every baby is different when it comes to bottles. I don't have good suggestions for bottles, as DD started hating them about 3 months ago. I have the wide neck Dr. Brown's and The First Years Breastflow, but she doesn't like either one. I bought her a sippy cup this weekend, and I guess she prefers that to bottles.

Also, you could filter your water with a Brita pitcher or something. It is a lot less expensive than buying bottled water, and a lot less wasteful because you don't have to deal with the plastic bottles.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 am

Damien has taken the Medela bottles before, but only once, he "willingly" took one. (didn't fuss too much or take 3+ hours just to eat 4oz lol) Due to moving and visiting family and everything, he's been given about 10 bottles total during his first 2 months, then he started refusing them. I tried giving him one at thanksgiving, and again just a few days ago, and he drank a couple oz out of the most recent one. When he was 3 days old, I tried to hand express some in a bottle I received from the hospital (got 1oz out) and I don't know if it was because he was hungry or what, but he took that just fine lol. I'm waiting for DH to get up so we can finally go to walmart, we definitely have to go today because he has work at 6am tomorrow....I will look at bottles a bit and see if I can find a couple that I think may work. I'm not too worried right now because I rarely try to give him a bottle...but I do need to use about 20oz of my frozen milk within the next couple of months at least. When my friend watched him last month, she used one of her daughters bottles and said he took it just fine (I didn't know if he'd take a bottle from her since she breastfeeds as well)...I'm not sure what bottles she uses and I can't ask her right now because she moved 2 days ago and hasn't been online or anything. (and don't want to bother with texting)

Do they have those types of filters at walmart? I guess I'll have to look. We have an old filter on our faucet, (we don't use it because it makes our water ever nastier...needs changed) but most people around here won't even drink the water with a filter...DH used to drink it but then his dad told him that it's poisoned and now he won't drink it (unless I boil it, which I only do to cook and for tea)
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am

Yes, they do carry the pitchers and filters at Wal-Mart. We used to buy ours there before we got a refrigerator with a built-in water filter.

I think you could ask your local water department for a report on your water if it's such a concern. The report would have a breakdown of exactly what is in your water.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:27 pm

We have test strips (DH bought them for our pool we had last summer) and we've tested our tap, refrigerator, and store bought filtered water and there was definitely a difference between the filtered water and the other two. (DH says our refrigerator filter has to be changed every 3 months?) Also, the oatmeal you mentioned, (DH said he wasn't feeling well, so our trip to walmart has yet to happen...we just got a few items from our local grocery store...he's promised to take me to walmart after rig move..which should be tonight or tomorrow night..we'll see) can DS eat it, too? I don't know if you're like me and put a little butter, sugar, and milk in your oatmeal lol. I didn't know if he could eat it with a bit of breastmilk and maybe some banana or something to sweeten it. (unless it's already sweetened?)
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrsg2008 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:02 pm

The oatmeal I mentioned is sweetened and flavored (like Strawberries and Cream, Apple Cinnamon, Peaches and Cream, etc.) , so I wouldn't give it to your DS. I'd make him plain oatmeal, and maybe put some mashed banana and BM in it like you mentioned.

I think that's about right, most refrigerator filters need to be replaced either every 3 or 6 months, depending on what the manufacturer suggests.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm

I finally got to walmart! I got some oat revolution oatmeal. (6 boxes - well one says better oats like the others, but not oat revolution?) I haven't tried it yet. Actually after I posted the first post, I haven't pumped, has felt like I have no milk!! Well, I've been drinking a lot of water and gatorade for a few days and my supply has definitely increased! I will likely pump tonight. Also, anyone have problems with medela milk storage bags? One of mine busted/tore (in the freezer, I'm assuming...I've never had a problem until now) and I lost 5oz of milk down the sink while trying to thaw (well, I managed to "save" some...and gave it to my cats lol! I couldn't see it all go to waste) I bought some Nuk bags to try.
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mrsg2008 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 pm

I hope you like the oatmeal! I love it, and eat it almost every day. I also love how you can measure the water right in the little packet. So easy!

Glad to hear your supply increased! Stay hydrated!

I've never used the Medela bags. I've only used Nuk up until recently, and I had one tear once, but I think that just happens sometimes. I just bought the Up & Up Target brand because they were cheaper, we'll see how I like those.
Married since 10/11/08
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby ashleybrooke » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:42 pm

I still haven't tried the oatmeal yet! lol hopefully tomorrow or maybe tonight as a snack.
I've definitely been drinking a lot of gatorade and water. I didn't buy my "normal fruit punch" juice this time...I bought Apple Juice and Orange Juice instead, as well as 4 cases of water. I did pump 4 oz last night...can't pump too much more until I get some food moved into my deep freeze. DH and I just bought a ton of meat so our freezer (attached to our fridge - where I store my milk currently) is COMPLETELY full! I can probably squeeze about 10 more bags of milk in the top shelf though.

My Medela bags that I have only hold 5 oz and the NUK bags hold 6oz I believe...which may be better. Damien is starting to eat more and I actually got him to take a 5oz bottle a couple days ago :D
ashleybrooke
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Breastfeeding