New to BF- A Few Questions

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

New to BF- A Few Questions

Postby MaybeLater » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

I didn't bf my dd so this is all very new to me. I have a few questions if anyone can help me out here.

1.) My baby is only a week old and I'm no longer engorged. I feel the letdown sometimes but my boobs are always soft. When I pumped in the beginning (to relieve engorgement) I was getting almost 2oz per boob. Now I'm barely getting 1oz. Is my supply drying up? Ds has plenty of poopy and wet diapers.

2.) When nursing on demand, do you wake your LO to feed or do you just wait for the signs (rooting,fist in mouth, etc.)? Sometimes ds will go almost 4 hours without a feed (at night). My ped told me he has to eat every 2 hours but online says whenever they want to just no longer than 4 hours. I'm always watching the clock to make sure he isn't going to sleep past a feeding.

3.) I have a cracked nipple and it makes the first suck soooo painful. The pain goes away after a few seconds but still- ouch! What can I do to speed healing? I put lanolin on after each feeding and let air dry but its still painful.

Sorry its a lot. TIA!
Me (Shan): 25
DH: 27
DD:5
DS: 1

Surprise :bfp: 6/25/13!

"Tomorrow is just a day away. " -Annie
MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Re: New to BF- A Few Questions

Postby litmajor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 am

1.) My baby is only a week old and I'm no longer engorged. I feel the letdown sometimes but my boobs are always soft. When I pumped in the beginning (to relieve engorgement) I was getting almost 2oz per boob. Now I'm barely getting 1oz. Is my supply drying up? Ds has plenty of poopy and wet diapers.

No, it sounds like your supply is starting to even out and you aren't overproducing. As long as he's gaining steadily, pooping and peeing, you are good.

2.) When nursing on demand, do you wake your LO to feed or do you just wait for the signs (rooting,fist in mouth, etc.)? Sometimes ds will go almost 4 hours without a feed (at night). My ped told me he has to eat every 2 hours but online says whenever they want to just no longer than 4 hours. I'm always watching the clock to make sure he isn't going to sleep past a feeding.

I didn't. I tried to get as much sleep as possible. I think if we had any health concerns like not gaining weight, I would have, but otherwise, let sleeping babies sleep! I also waited for her to cry at night- since I was sleeping, I didn't really have a way of knowing she was hungry until she made enough noise to wake me up (ie when she started crying). I know it's a late cue, but you need sleep and can't stay up all night waiting for the non-verbal cues.

3.) I have a cracked nipple and it makes the first suck soooo painful. The pain goes away after a few seconds but still- ouch! What can I do to speed healing? I put lanolin on after each feeding and let air dry but its still painful.

Never had this issue, so the only things I would know to do are the ones you are already doing. Hope it heals quickly for you!
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MaybeLater » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 am

Thank you for the fast reply! I feel so much better! I was worried because my baby is sleep all-the-time lol.....

MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Postby h0ping » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 pm

I agree with litmajor's post - your supply is just starting to even out and thats good - if you are wanting to make extra (to "stock" up in the freezer) pump after a few feedings each day so your body gets the signal to make more - if you don't want a freezer supply just nurse on demand!
If baby is growing and peeing and pooping I again agree about not waking him - he knows when he's hungry he may be a very good nurser and get enough at each feed to hold him longer than some babies and that's perfectly fine.
As far as the painful nipple I don't know what else can be done either - the only thing I can think of if its just one nipple have him start nursing on the other side first - he maybe sucking harder at first - if its both nipples though of course this won't help!!!

Hope things continue to go well for you!!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby mrsg2008 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:19 pm

I agree with the previous posts. How much you pump isn't a good indicator of your supply. As long as your LO has frequent wet diapers, he's fine.

I also did not wake for feeds. I let my baby tell me when she was hungry.

Ugh, cracked nipples are the worst! Mine cracked and bled, and were so painful. Like I said before, what helped me was letting BM dry on them. I know it hurts, but they will heal...hopefully soon!
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jessm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:44 pm

What's happening is your supply is regulating to what baby needs. This is perfectly normal. many women thing their supply is drying up around 6 weeks because their boobs never feel hard any more, they stay soft and at the same time baby goes through a growth spurt. It's okay that you are pumping less. As long as DS is satisfied after eating, plenty of diapers and growing you're golden.

Ah the waking a baby to eat. I did it for awhile. During the day I ALWAYS woke him in 2 hours. When we had weight gain problems, I woke him at night. After my supply came in and he started gaining I stopped waking him at night. If he sleeps more than 4 hours at night I would wake him though. The first few weeks are very important for establishing your supply, so make sure to feed feed feed.

I'm sorry you have a cracked nipple! ouch! Lanolin is the best stuff ever. Put it on often. It should heal soon. I had cracking and bleeding, but it didn't last long.

It's good to see you on this side! Congrats!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby BeccaM » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:58 am

You already got great answers, and I don't have anything much new to add, but I'll just chime in quick...

Everyone's level of engorgement is different. I think some people adjust quicker to demand than others. I was engorged for a few days, but by a 7 - 10 days afterward, I really didn't have much engorgment or discomfort at all.

As far as waking baby to eat, I really didn't have to worry about that too much. My first DS did not sleep in long enough stretches early on, day or night, to warrant any concern, LOL! He pretty much nursed every 1 - 2 hours during the day and every 1/2 hour - 45 min before bed... then 2 - 3 times a night. Yes, he liked to nurse! I guess if he was sleeping a long time during the day, I might try to wake him to nurse, so he wasn't up all night making up for lack of meals during the day.

I had a nasty crack (DS bit me with new teeth) later on, and that I just had to grit my teeth and get through. I did do lanolin and some antibiotic creme which I wiped off before feeding. Basically, it will heal up on it's own, but it's gonna hurt for a while, unfortunately!

Sounds like you are doing great!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:13 am

I will say that DD sleeping for too long at night was never an issue for us.. She was well over a month old before she slept 5 hours consecutively.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KJ511 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 am

I agree with all the previous posters. We were waking DD to eat every 2-3 hours at first, but our pedi said not to unless she stopped gaining properly. She kept on getting appropriately bigger so we stopped waking her!

I never had cracked nipples, so I can't help a ton with this. And I apologize for being a bit too lazy to read carefully, but I've heard (I think from MrsG?) that leaving a bit of breastmilk on the nipple and letting it air dry helps. Someone might have already mentioned that though! If so I'm sorry to be redundant!

I also want to say, way to go on BFing and sticking with it! It's tough but so worth it! You are amazing! :)
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MaybeLater » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 am

Thank you ladies! This was extremely helpful!

MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Return to Breastfeeding