Nipple Confusion

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Nipple Confusion

Postby MaybeLater » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:36 am

Sorry ladies, I know I'm asking a lot of questions :oops:

My dh has been SUPER jealous that he can't feed the baby. We've even had a few arguments about it. The LC at the hospital said to wait a min of two weeks before introducing a bottle. I know that this is a bonding time and I don't want him to feel left out. He says I booby hog the baby :roll: ......My question is- when did you introduce the bottle and did your LO have nipple confusion ? I would be really hurt if he never wanted to bf again.
Me (Shan): 25
DH: 27
DD:5
DS: 1

Surprise :bfp: 6/25/13!

"Tomorrow is just a day away. " -Annie
MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Re: Nipple Confusion

Postby litmajor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:28 am

She got a soothie pretty much immediately, but no bottle until 3 weeks old. The only confusion we had was that she thought the bottle was a pacifier and was none too pleased until milk started coming out. She also does not get bottles often at all (can't remember the last time, but well over two months ago- probably had less than 10 total), so very little chance to get confused.

She also hasn't had an issue with going from boob to pacifier, so I sort of think she just doesn't have problems in that area at all, which isn't the same for all babies.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby h0ping » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:38 pm

It's ok to ask questions :D we were all new to this at some point.....

My ds was given a paci right away and a bottle at 2 days old I now ep so he only gets a bottle but I did breastfeed on occasion until he was about 3-3.5 months old (he is now 5 months) honestly every baby us different mine could switch back and forth no problem some can not really all you can do is try.....

Sorry I can't offer much more!

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby carak21 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:51 pm

We introduced the bottle a little before 4 weeks, I was worried about nipple confusion too. And my dh was the same way yours is lol. The girls in my DDC gave me some great ideas to get him to bond with the baby. Let dh burp the baby after you feed him or let him do bath time. Something that gives him a routine to follow along with the baby and that is dh's responsibility. But once we introduced the bottle, DS had no trouble transitioning.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:51 pm

I was also told to wait a minimum of 2 weeks, so I started around 2 1/2-3 weeks. At first, it was great, DD had no problem at all with confusion, and went from breast to bottle with ease. Then, around 2 1/2 months, she started refusing a bottle, and we were giving them a few times a week so she'd stay used to them. She still fights the bottle, and will not take one if I'm in the house. I just introduced a sippy cup, since my mom said I did better going from breast to sippy when I was a baby, and DD seems to like that better. Apparently DD eats just enough milk when I'm not around to get by (1-4 ozs. over an 8-10 hour period), and just makes up for it when I return.

My DH isn't jealous that he can't feed the baby. He did enjoy it when she was taking one, but he does plenty with her now. He plays with her, changes her, and he gives her baths. She prefers baths with him over me, actually. Daddy is for fun, and Mommy is for business. :)
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Like other ladies said, there are plenty of things DH can do to bond with your baby other than feed. But to be honest, these first few weeks with a breastfed baby are all about mom and baby and your DH just kind of has to accept that. This is my 3rd breastfed baby and my DH just knows by now that baby really just wants mommy for a while and that is totally ok. Now at a month old, my baby is smiling and being a bit more interactive (although still needs mom a lot) and my DH is able to enjoy him more.

My older kids we waited until 4 weeks to introduce a bottle, my youngest got his first bottle at 2 weeks old because I had to be gone for an hour and apparently he didn't want to wait that long for me! But I have no interest in my DH regularly giving him bottles because it's just too much freakin work to pump and wash bottles. If he wants to bond, he can give baths and change diapers!!

Nipple confusion is very real. This happened to my best friend with her baby (and her baby had been an awesome nurser up until she gave him a few bottles) and he would never breastfeed again.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 am

I would wait at least 3 weeks. It is so important to establish breast feeding. Also remember that if baby gets a bottle, you have to pump at that time. We had to introduce the bottle early because my ped wanted me to supplement, and then he wouldn't latch. I cut the bottle out right away and waited until 6 weeks to let daddy feed baby.

He can bond other ways. Encourage kangaroo time with daddy!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby KJ511 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 am

DD takes a pacifier only when she's sleepy and spits it out when she's ready to fall asleep. I introduced a bottle to her I think between 2-3 weeks, and she is still sort of hit-or-miss with the bottle. But she looooves the boob!

I think DH struggles because when babies are so little they don't really do much besides eat, poop, and sleep. Once your baby is a little older that will ease up for him--I know my DH just has so much fun playing with DD now! Plus now he can help with diaper changes, bathtime, etc.
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Nikkijames » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:03 pm

To be super honest, I would not introduce a bottle so that DH or others can feed the baby (but then again I am very jealous myself and don't think I could stand anyone feeding her while I was home!) In any case, nipple confusion can definitely happen. Also, babies given a lot of other sources of sucking tend to wean earlier. Not to mention, as one of the pp mentioned, you MUST pump for the missed feedings or your supply will suffer. So it's certainly not saving you any work. Personally, these early weeks are for mama to establish breastfeeding and there are other ways for dad to bond- baby wearing is one way my husband uses. Remember your DH will naturally bond as he gets more interactive. This is exactly what happened with my husband and our son, who nursed for 20 months. Oh and he felt like he bonded well with Dylan because we co-slept....
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MaybeLater » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Thanks for all your help ladies! We gave ds a bottle Saturday (2 days before he turned 3 weeks old) and he is still doing good on the boobie! I'm so happy that I can give him a bottle if have to and not worry about nipple confusion. Dh has been really understanding lately and ds only gets a bottle if I'm not around which will be rare.
Me (Shan): 25
DH: 27
DD:5
DS: 1

Surprise :bfp: 6/25/13!

"Tomorrow is just a day away. " -Annie
MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Return to Breastfeeding