Freezer stash

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Freezer stash

Postby carak21 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:33 pm

My freezer is slap full of milk and I'm curious if I will ever really use this milk. I'd hate for it to go bad so I was looking into becoming a milk donor or just finding someone who needs the milk I'm saving and not really becoming an actual donor. Anyway, I don't want to donate the milk if I'm going to use it in the future. I have over 300 ozs froze and just pumping twice a day I'm getting 14 ozs. I have plenty to feed the baby with while I'm at work(starting back Monday) as he only eats 3-4 ozs every 3 hours.

And if I should donate do any of you know any good websites I can find more information.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Freezer stash

Postby mrsg2008 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:43 pm

I have over 250 ozs frozen, and I use it when I send DD to her grandparents' house, when DH watches her, and when I go to work. I've only been back to work 1 day, and I pumped 16 ozs while I was there. My freezer is also FULL of milk, and I don't know if we'll ever use all of it. I don't have a milk bank near me.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Freezer stash

Postby h0ping » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi Cara - I am not sure about milk donation but I would suggest holding on to it for a little while atleast.....it lasts I think 3 months in a regular freezer and 6 months in a deep freezer - in case your supply would dip a little or if you would get sick or something - you just never know!!! and you can always use the frozen milk and then freeze the fresh milk and keep "cycling" and then either quit pumping early or use it beyond the 1 year mark (or however long you were planning to BF)

Otherwise I would suggest asking the hospital or WIC office (if you have one...) about donation....

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Return to Breastfeeding