OS/ OALD and comfort nursing....

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

OS/ OALD and comfort nursing....

Postby Nikkijames » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm

So my nursling (3 weeks tomorrow) seems to be more of a boobie baby than my son was (well he got attached to nursing around 10 months old) Anyway she likes to comfort nurse, and I have a VERY strong letdown. Her nursing so much in the evening I think is causing me to make more milk. She'll basically latch on, pop off when the milk starts spraying, and then latch back on. It's definitely a different suck when she is actually drinking. So I guess my question is will nipple stimulation increase oversupply even though she's really not draining the breast at those times? This is new because DS would nurse in 5 minutes and be done....
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: OS/ OALD and comfort nursing....

Postby h0ping » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I am in no means an expert but I believe any nipple stimulation will cause your supply to increase even though lo is not draining the breast......cause I thought that's what they tell you if you want to increase your supply - to let lo comfort suck.....again I'm not sure but I think that may be what's happening.....

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby Nikkijames » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:51 pm

That's what I thought, I do seem to be drenched in milk perpetually. But she also had a growth spurt the other day so maybe it will calm down soon.
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm

It should calm don a bit in the next few weeks. Are you block feeding at all? I believe that can help with oversupply.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MegsIsMommy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 pm

mrsg2008 wrote:It should calm don a bit in the next few weeks. Are you block feeding at all? I believe that can help with oversupply.

My dd was a huge comfort nurser and my supply was always crazy a lot until around 10 months. That's seriously when I stopped wearing breast pads asi was not always leaking!

When I started block nursing it helped too.
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:59 am

It should calm down. My son was a comfort nurser, especially at night. Cluster feeding is really common. It actually helped him to sleep better.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby kitcantwait » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am

I had exactly this with DD, who has always been a huge comfort nurser. I started block feeding as soon as I could (engorgement lasted forever with us and then I'd not be able to latch her on if I'd only fed from one side the previous feed) and it helped a bit, but tbh my OAL took months to calm down and I was still leaking at the end of her first year, which isn't really helpful to you. But that was partly because she also never took to sucking her fingers or anything else for comfort (and we didn't offer a paci) - any of those would no doubt have helped in the long run. But as far as the early days goes, growth spurts definitely made it worse, and the rest of the time was messy but manageable after the initial shock to the system! GL!
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KJ511 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:52 am

I agree with PPs, your supply should regulate. I didn't stop wearing nursing pads until DD was probably 5 months old. I still have to sometimes hold my hand over my other breast to stop the crazy letdown though! I got tired of always buying them and washing the reusable ones. Plus the reusable ones didn't stop the leak anyway--still got milk all over my shirt!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Breastfeeding