My EP journey

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

My EP journey

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:17 pm

I saw that there was a there was a thread about exclusive pumping recently and just wanted to share my story. I've been going strong for almost one year now and had a lot of bumps along the way, but EPing is definitely possible!

To be honest, I hated EPing at first. I didn't think I could ever do it long term. Breastfeeding was such a nightmare for me though. DS was extremely sleepy and hard to keep awake during feedings the first few days, so my milk didn't really come in. Then, his bilirubin shot up and he started showing signs of dehydration, so I tried supplementing with a SNS at the breast. It was a royal pain and DS learned that formula came out of the tube, which made our nursing issues worse. I felt so defeated. When I lost my triplets, I got horribly engorged by day 5. Then, I finally have a baby that needs milk and I couldn't produce any! I also developed Raynauds in my nipples which was extremely painful and that was the final straw. My lactation consultant suggested only nursing 10 minutes of each feeding, then give DS a bottle, then pump. It got to be too much of a hassle after just a couple of days and I decided to just start EPing.

EPing was more tolerable with the Raynauds than actually putting DS to the breast, but I was only getting about an ounce total each time I pumped. I took fenugreek and blessed thistle and noticed my supply slowly increasing. Unfortunately, fenugreek didn't agree with DS and his reflux, so I had to stop it. I kept up pumping, made sure I was drinking plenty of water, and by the time he was a month old, DS was getting exclusively breast milk. No more supplementing with formula! A few months later, I was getting 48oz per day and started stocking up the freezer. It was an amazing feeling to see my son healthy and growing from my milk. By the six month mark, I was much more comfortable with things and kept pumping away.

DS will be one in just under two weeks now. I'm still EPing, but in the process of weaning. After everything I went through to build up my supply, I was actually having trouble trying to get it to dry up until I got my first bad case of mastitis last week which cut my supply in half. I'm down to just 10 minutes in the morning now and 10 minutes at bedtime for a total of 17oz per day. It has been an incredible journey through IF, losses, finally becoming a mother of a living child, and then losing the breastfeeding relationship that I hoped for, but I love my son so much am glad that I was able to provide breast milk for him :D Now, I'm ready to hang up my horns and start thinking about trying to add to our family again.
Me: 28 DH: 30
My blog: http://ttcwithpcosrpl.blogspot.com
8w3d :angel: 5w0d :angel: 4w3d :angel:
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

:hb: Our little miracle Mason arrived on February 22, 2012! :hb:

Expecting TWINS June 2014 after just one round of treatments! :shock:

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: My EP journey

Postby h0ping » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks for sharing :D

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby Jacana28 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 am

Congrats on making it to a year! I've been EPing for 16 months myself. It is a hard journey, but very worth it. My daughter was born 3 months early so breastfeeding wasn't an option for us. I always tell myself that if I had been EBF I probably still wouldn't be going...
Julia

DD: 9/27/11~ 26.2 week preemie
78 days in the NICU
Exclusive Pumper---Platinum!

DS: 3/16/15- 39.1 week termie

Jacana28
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jennellis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 am

thank for sharing this story.
Great to hear when things work out.
I remember turning in my pump after EPing for DS#1 I cried for days and didnt know if I was happy to sad to be done...
jennellis
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Jennellis: that's kind of how I've been feeling about weaning. As I've watched my supply drop, I've been a little anxious. Obviously, I know that it has to keep decreasing so I can quit pumping, but I definitely have mixed feelings now...relief and some sadness that I'm almost done. During the first few months, there were several times that I wished I could just let my milk dry up and be done. However, on another discussion board, one of the ladies shared that you should never make the decision to quit on a bad day. Bad days come and go, but things usually work out. Instead, you should quit when you are ready and at peace with things. I tried to follow that advice and I think it helped me get as far as I did.
19w4d :angel: :angel: :angel: Triplets lost to IC 1/7/11: Cadyn (with us for for 20 minutes), Adalyn & Mikayla (born sleeping)

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KJ511 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:56 am

yay, good for you! Way to stick it out--that's awesome!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby LaraE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:07 pm

You've done a great job!!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kitcantwait » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 am

That's an amazing story, great job momma, you should be really proud of yourself!
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HawkeyeGirl18 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks ladies!

HawkeyeGirl18
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 am

Awesome. EPers have my complete respect. I despise pumping and I've never had to do it for any amount of time. You rock. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding