Nursing while pregnant

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Nursing while pregnant

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Just wondering if anyone can share their personal experiences. I cut our daytime feedings when I found out I was pregnant, so we are just doing naptime (okay, technically a daytime feeding),before bed, and if she wakes at night. My hope is that she will wean before baby comes since I don't feel up to tandem, but I'm just going to take it as it comes.

I know it gets painful for some. When did the pain start? I also know some babies self wean during the pregnancy or the milk dries up. If either of those things happened with your lo, can you tell me about when? And if not of that happened, I'm interested in that as well. Thanks!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Nursing while pregnant

Postby victoria_1024 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:53 pm

I got pregnant while BFing when both my kids were about 14 months old. With my first son, he wasn't really affected by the pregnancy. He continued to nurse until he was 20 months old when I (gently) weaned him. We had already been cutting back feedings so it was a slow process. I just couldn't stand nursing anymore at that point... I was 7ish mths pregnant and it was uncomfortable to nurse and it caused contractions. With my daughter, she self-weaned when she was 17 months old. So I was around 4ish months pregnant. I was pretty bummed because I didn't feel ready to be done nursing, but glad she did it on her own terms. I never really had nipple pain when nursing.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:01 am

Thanks for your response! Dd just turned 22 months when I found out. I still haven't had any nipple pain and I'm not even having breast tenderness at 6 weeks, though super sore boobs weren't really a symptom in my first pregnancies either. If I could avoid the pain part and she could wean on her own, that would be amazing.
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MegsIsMommy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 pm

DD was nursing many times a day until the last couple of weeks when I noticed my milk quickly drying up as she started suddenly sleeping through the night (though still cosleeping) and nursing less and less at each session.

My nipples were sore around ovulation and then again around 8ish weeks and then faded until my milk started drying up and now they are so sore every time she latches. :-(

I have no desire to tandem but want dd to wean herself so minus a little encouragement of trying to offer water or food when she wants to nurse I do not deny her if that is what she is determined to have. Each session I old her tightly wondering when it will be the last one as I do to want to miss it. :-( Makes me soooooo sad to think about not nursing my baby girl anymore but know it is a phase that is coming to an end. I have thoroughly enjoyed this special time. Looking forward to a new nursing relationship. :-)
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:25 am

I'm now getting shooting nipple pain, almost like she is biting, at initial latch on, but thankfully it fades quickly. The big issue that I'm having and I didn't anticipate is that my stomach is already uncomfortable. She has been really wiggly while nursing lately, and if she puts pressure in the right (wrong!) spots it's painful.
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kitcantwait » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 am

Congrats on your pregnancy! I got pregnant when DD was 17-18 mos and she turned 2 at the end of Jan. Like you, I still BF to sleep (at nap and bedtime) and on waking up in the am (we co-sleep), but otherwise only if she's sick/hurt/upset. For her nap, she just has a couple of sucks before she's out, but bedtime and esp. early mornings can be looooong sessions, especially since we dropped the night feeds earlier in the year.

Like you, I had no breast tenderness in the early weeks (though I did with DD) and, again like you and other posters, I started getting the stabbing latching-on pain at around 8 weeks. Plus some serious irritability LOL. I spent those early weeks biting my tongue a lot! That lasted, if memory serves, for most of the first tri and then disappeared completely. I'm afraid the pain's back now (though not the irritability) though, came back at around the 30-wk mark for me, which is also when my milk proper went away and was replaced with a sticky, pale liquid that's more like colostrum in consistency but not in colour, if that makes sense. Some strange transitional thing, I'm guessing. And since that's been happening nursing sessions have been pretty uncomfortable, esp. in the evenings for some reason. I thought she might wean for a while when we dropped night-time feeds, but tbh I don't think she's quite there yet, and with all the upheaval of having a new sibling etc. I don't want to force any changes on her she's not ready for. So I'm just sucking it up and letting her call the shots. But it's tough, and I feel you on the uncomfortable stomach too, though oddly that's got better since I've got larger. Maybe because there's simply no choice and we just feed lying down a lot.
Let us know how you're getting on! (((hugs)))
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby PixieB » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:35 pm

It's been a long while since I visited tww but saw this thread and thought I'd pop in :)

My first was about 1.5 years when I got pregnant with my second. I nursed through the pregnancy in its entirety and tandem nursed for some 18 months til my oldest daughter was 4y 2m.
The first trimester was all about the toe curling pain on latching. Ye gods that was horrid. It did pass with the end of the 1st tri but it was an effort not to cry sometimes. Re-latching would usually help a bit.
Around the 20w mark my supply dropped significantly. She was pretty much dry nursing but she still wanted it and I wanted to try tandem. We'd offer her a drink of water or 'fridge milk' after nursing to make sure she'd get some extra calories (prem with oral issues so weight gain was important).
Over the third trimester I just got irritable with nursing. There was this primal urge to push her away, just being done with it. I managed to push through the urge and keep nursing anyways, mostly just morning and night.

Then my second daughter was born, my big girl (2y 4m then) came to visit and meet her new baby sister. She marvelled at the new baby for a little while then I offered her mum-milk and she accepted. She transitioned beautifully to being a big sister, I think partially because she still had our nursing relationship, we still got our special snuggles so the baby wasn't robbing me away from her.

I got semi-engorged once with V. And that once was happily helpfully resolved by my elder daughter. No nipple pain because I hadn't stopped nursing. No bad latches. No oversupply.
It was worth it, but it was hard work. I also acknowledge that it's definitely not for everyone, you've got to sincerely want it to push through all the pregnant nursing woes. I lucked out that I had a few online mamas doing the same thing.

My big girl is now 5.5 and at school. My baby is now 3y 3m and still nursing. I don't know that we'll go for a third, and I don't think I could push through nursing whilst pregnant again.
Talia Grace: born Friday 13th of July, 2007, at 27w4d gestation, 700g/1.5lbs. Nursed for 4 years
and Violet Joy: born Thursday 19th, VBAC waterbirth, 39w2d, 3.35kg/7lbs 6oz, still a booby monster, just shared it with her big sister for 18 months.
http://pics.livejournal.com/littlebutto ... y/0000scpq
PixieB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding