Refusing to nurse

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Refusing to nurse

Postby linds28 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Ds has been breastfed from day 1. Dh gives him one bottle of pumped milk once a day which he has been doing for weeks now. All of a sudden the past couple of days ds will nurse for only 5 mins and then just scream his head off and refuse to latch back on...or he latches back on for a sec and then pulls right back off and starts screaming. I thought at first he was just getting an air bubble from letdown so I would burp him but it was no help. After he did this all day I finally offered him a bottle of breastmilk as a last reaort and he chugged it down! I know that supply is not an issue so what gives? I don't know what to do anymore! I really don't want to have to pump and guve him bottles for the next 10 months!
Me - 27
DH - 31
DS1 - 5
DS2 - 19 months
Baby girl due April 17th!

linds28
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Refusing to nurse

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:05 pm

Hmm. I'm really not sure about this. I think my first action would be to stop giving a bottle every day, at least until he starts nursing more normally again. He could be developing a preference for it. This could also just be a phase that he's going through and he might stop on his own shortly. Do you put him back on the same side or on the other side when he initially pops off? Both of mine went through periods where they'd nurse a few minutes on one side, fuss, nurse a few minutes on the other side, fuss, repeat repeat. Two months (guessing at age based on the pumping for ten months comment) is also a growth spurt, so the fussiness could be related to that as well.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kitcantwait » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:53 am

I agree with Stefanielynn that it sounds as if your clever LO may have worked out that taking a bottle is less like hard work but gives him the same yummy stuff that comes out of mommy, so perhaps try reducing the bottle feeds for a bit and see if that makes a difference. But I also second the fussing/possible growth spurt theory. Try popping him back on on the other side and see if he keeps going. GL!
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 am

Is he 2 mos old? Mine started a fussy nursing phase around 2 months where he would scream, latch on, pop off, etc. It was so frustrating! I think I figured out that he didn't like my fast let down. At any rate, after I started some of the following, he grew out of that phase... here is what I tried: Nursing reclining back, letting down a little into a burp rag first, nursing lying down on my side (which I did quite a bit, seemed to help).

Later on, when DS was 5 - 6 mos we had another challenging fussy time, where he was mad because I wasn't letting down SOON enough! He didn't like to have to work at nursing for a little while before getting all the milk. It was making me frustrated and anxious as well, delaying let down further. I finally figured out if I stimulated a let down on myself first, then put him to the breast, he was much happier.

Ah, the joys of nursing (especially an active, impatient, intelligent little guy like mine was/is!).
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:46 am

Becca, I could have written your post. DD had a choking on the boob phase a while back from my letdown, and now she whines when it doesn't come fast enough. So annoying!
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby linds28 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:13 am

Yes he will be 2 months old in a few days. I do have oversupply issues and a fast letdown but its weird because he will nurse for a few minutes after letdown and then starts fussing and refusing to nurse around the 5 min mark. If it were due to a fast letdown wouldn't he be doing this right away? Oh and I forgot to add when he wakes at night to nurse he nurses perfectly! It is just during the day.
Me - 27
DH - 31
DS1 - 5
DS2 - 19 months

linds28
Star Member
Star Member

Postby litmajor » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:14 am

Hm, if he nurses fine through letdown and then whines after, maybe he's impatient and wants more milk to come. Or maybe if he's already eaten for a good five minutes, he's done?
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 pm

Yeah, he might just be really efficient. My son could nurse forever, my daughter never went over ten minutes, but wanted to feed more often. How does he react if you end the session when he starts fussing?
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:56 pm

My DD went through a phase like that at 2.5 months, only around that time, she also started refusing a bottle. She went back to nursing normally after a few days, but never willingly took a bottle again. Hope it passes soon for you!
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jessm » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 am

Maybe try switching breasts when he starts fussing? I agree with PP I would try to limit bottle feedings. That will just encourage nipple/flow preference.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby linds28 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Well turns out he has a milk allergy which is causing reflux. Ughh. So I guess he was doing better with the bottle of bm because he was more upright. So now I have been eliminating all dairy from my diet. It is crazy all of the things that have some type of dairy in it! Hopefully he will start feeling better soon tho :(
Me - 27
DH - 31
DS1 - 5
DS2 - 19 months

linds28
Star Member
Star Member

Postby kitcantwait » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:09 am

Oh no, poor sweetie! I hope things improve for him now, even if it's tough for you :( Do you know why it was worse during the daytime? (((hugs)))
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Oh no, I am sorry! Limiting dairy is hard, but at least you have a reason for his fussiness. I've heard that if you go on an elimination diet for a while, you may be able to introduce some dairy back in. Probiotic, cultured dairy like plain yogurt or kefir is safer to eat (and full of good bacteria for you and him) than things like milk and cheese. Just a suggestion for the future!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby linds28 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 am

Thanks for the replies. I have no idea why he does ok at night! Eliminating dairy is a lot harder then I expected! It seems like almost everything has some time of dairy in it. It seems like a lot of snacky type foods have whey in them so it has been hard to find safe foods for snacks...and of course I am craving choc and junk food!
Me - 27
DH - 31
DS1 - 5
DS2 - 19 months

linds28
Star Member
Star Member

Postby KJ511 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:55 am

My DD had this as well--it turned out she was a really gassy baby! She still sort of is but we know what to do about it now. When babies breastfeed it stimulates their digestive tract to contract and force out the old stuff, and that's why she'd pop off. It was literally hurting her to nurse. Plus around that age their bacteria in their digestive tracts is starting to change, which causes more gassiness too. But we started giving her gripe water, rubbing her tummy, applying heat packs, giving warm baths, etc. Eventually their digestive systems regulate and things settle down. So maybe that's it? I was afraid I'd have to start a horribly restrictive diet too but thankfully not!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Next

Return to Breastfeeding