Dairy Free Mamas?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Dairy Free Mamas?

Postby h0ping » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Anyone dairy free while breastfeeding???

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Re: Dairy Free Mamas?

Postby unaffected » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 pm

h0ping wrote:Anyone dairy free while breastfeeding???

Me! Well, I am doing eggs in moderation. I think my little guy is sensitive to cow's milk protein, but I don't think he's allergic. When I have cow's milk, he turns into a little gremlin monster devil baby, so I'm doing without :) It's been pretty difficult, and I can't say I'm eating the healthiest. Oreos and Pop Tarts are staples in my diet... ugh.
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby h0ping » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi Kara!!! How are you? How is your LO?

I cut out all "obvious" dairy - milk cheese etc but "re-started" and cut out EVERYTHING.....its hard but I did the "restart" a month or so ago and def. see a huge difference!! I don't think Kyle is allergic either but must be sensitive....My older son was also sensitive but has grown out of it.....I get not always eating the healthiest....I find myself eating lots of carbs and feel like I have gained weight :( I know others say they lose when they go dairy free or just lose in general while bf'ing but I don't feel that way!!!

What are your "usual's".........besides pop tarts and oreos lol???

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby unaffected » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Henry is doing well, thanks for asking!! He's gaining weight and turning into a real chunker :) Every day seems to be a new thing... lol. Probably seems like that b/c I'm a first-time mom, idk! He hasn't pooped in two days, so I'm just realllly hoping he goes soon.

For breakfast I either do the dreaded Pop Tart or some oatmeal. I've been doing sandwiches at lunch (just had ham, turkey, mayo and mustard on a pretzel roll), and for dinner I try to do protein, veggies, starch. Tonight I am making a pork tenderloin, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans. Cheese has been the hardest thing to eliminate for me! But I am making it work. Last night we had BBQ, and the night before we had take-out from a Japanese steak house.

I'm still trying to lose all the weight I gained while being pregnant, so I have no idea how this dairy-free thing is affecting me. I seem to be plateauing, and I'd like to think this would help, but I know it won't if I keep up with the Oreos!

What have you been eating? Any exciting meal ideas to share??
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby h0ping » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi :D let me just say first my little Kyle has gone several days without pooping before and its no issue (I formula fed my first child so a lot of this is all new since Kyle is breastfed.....) they can go over a week without pooping no problem as long as they aren't uncomfortable and poop is "normal" when they do go.....it went crazy the first time Kyle went like 5 days without going!!!! He had been going 1-2xday then all of a sudden nothing....nothing...nothing!! But he is fine!!!

For breakfast I usually have whole wheat toast with peanut butter or oatmeal or eggs, toast and sausage (eggs are perfectly fine for dairy free since eggs are not dairy) I usually only do the eggs 1xweek or so since during the week I have no time since I need to get myself and 2 kids out the door on time!!!
Lunch is either leftovers from the night before or a sandwich, or soup and crackers (ritz crackers are dairy free as are saltines) or a sub from subway - no cheese of course - but their bread is dairy free!!! I like the turkey sub on 9 grain honey oat bread with lettuce and spinach.....
Dinner kinda stuck with a few main things but my favorites - spaghetti, meatballs (hamburger mixed with some uncooked minute rice then put 1-2 cans of Cambells tomato soup on top YUMMM!), "crunchy" pork chops or chicken (pork chops (or chicken) with shake and bake on them bake for 30-ish minutes YUM!), and veggies......I of course mix in other things but those are some favs that everyone likes. We also do Subway for dinner some nights or chinese food since most all chinese food is dairy free....
Snacks a big one for me is beef jerky, fruit, salty - Baked lays chips (almost all chips have milk!!! its crazy!!!) sweets - I love laffy taffy :D

Its hard to add in new things since I am always worried I will "mess up" what I have done so I tend to stick to things I know are ok - same with going out anywhere I would rather just stick to a few basics and I read somewhere that most fast food places do not use much dairy compared to a regular restaurant - we don't do either very often but in the last few months when we do pick something up its been Subway or chinese usually which everyone likes anyway so its been fine.....

What about you?

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby MaybeLater » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:55 am

How do you know if your baby is sensitive to cow's milk protein? I've had a feeling that ds might be but I'm not sure. He has silent reflux (he's taking zantac now) and is always very gassy. A rash also appeared all over his body a few days ago. And his poops are always loose and watery looking. He will be 8 weeks tomorrow and he still poops multiple times a day.
Me (Shan): 25
DH: 27
DD:5
DS: 1

Surprise :bfp: 6/25/13!

"Tomorrow is just a day away. " -Annie
MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Postby h0ping » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:29 am

Hi :) my little guy was always very gassy and just seemed uncomfortable (and my older child was also dairy sensitive - same tummy issues - now all is ok but no dairy until 1 yr old then I did very limited dairy if he had too much he was gassy and complained of a tummy ache....this got better around age 4-5 ) so with this lo i thought I would give it a try and noticed a big difference but still had some issues so I cut out ALL dairy and now he is even better!!!! My thought was its not gonna hurt to try but it can take 2-3 weeks for dairy to be out of your system.......and some people can get away with just cutting out "obvious" dairy....

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby MaybeLater » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks! I'm going to try and go dairy free for a few weeks to see if it helps. I feel so bad, he's always super uncomfy because of all the gas. His belly is so big and he squirms and cries.

MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Postby h0ping » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Good luck! It can't hurt to try just make sure you note down when you start and wait atleast 2 weeks to evaluate.....are you going to try cutting out everything or just the obvious?

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby MegsIsMommy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:16 am

I too was dairy free (and gluten and peanut free) when my dd was little. She seemed to have outgrown it all around a year though when she eats cheese (we don't drink cows milk so really cheese is the only milk) she breaks out on her face and bottom. :-(

Lots of protein and veggies which is probably why I lost my 30 pregnancy pounds plus an additional 20 in the first few months pp! Yeah gained 10 back but pregnant again and wondering how this nursing will be with all the good stuff...

It is hard but totally worth it. :-) Trial and error and eliminate/introduce one thing at a time to watch for sensitivities.
Megs {29} DH {32}
MegsIsMommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MaybeLater » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:52 am

Yes I'm going to try everything. I did mistakenly eat feta cheese yesterday so I hope it doesn't mess anything up. But its been almost a week with no dairy and I've already seen an improvement with his rash. I've been dying without my chocolate chip cookies though lol.....

MaybeLater
Angel
Angel

Postby h0ping » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm

That's a great sign if rash is already improving!!! With some people after going dairy free for a little while you can slowly add things in to see what is tolerated...for mine NOTHING is tolerated right now - but if he follows in his brothers foot steps then by age 1 he'll be able to tolerate a little and it will very very slowly get better from there - by about age 4 or so my older son's sensitivity was gone.....

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Return to Breastfeeding