starting solids with EBF baby, questions...Help!

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

starting solids with EBF baby, questions...Help!

Postby Norton99 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi gals,
Have some questions. I never bf my dd so this is a first with my ds. He is 5 months old, EBF. When starting solids im a bit confused due to the bf. I plan on bf first and then giving some solids once a day, about an hour after nursing, (evening probably), then after a while of that introduce it to twice a day, same thing, after a nursing session. My confusion is.... what the heck happens when more time goes on and he is eating more at the meal, how does this affect your nursing sessions? Will some be less during the day? WIth my dd I gave her a bottle after she had food, to "wash it down". Formula, then juice after she was older. I gave it during too, to have a few sips with her food. But what the heck do you do with the bf baby?! lol I'm not goin to give him "sips" of the boob. and if I nurse him beforehand that would be a pain in the butt to do it again after food, plus have low milk since I just nursed him. This is so confusing to me lol
What were your schedules like at 6months and older, as far as adding in solids. like what time of day and how did it fit with nursing? ALSO- do you ever skip a nursing session all together for solids, and what age is that at usually.
THANKS A BUNCH :)
Norton99

Re: starting solids with EBF baby, questions...Help!

Postby kitcantwait » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 am

This is going to sound awful, lol, but I've actually already forgotten what exactly happened when with the whole weaning process, though I remember asking myself all the same questions you are. I think, in the end, DD was actually pretty slow to take to it all and so for the first four or more months she was really only having solids for fun/to taste/to get used to the idea. During that time, and really until she was at least 1, BF remained her main source of nutrition, at least for us, and I didn't drop any feeds. If I was keen for her to eat something, I'd BF after the 'meal', but mostly I played that one by ear and followed her cues. It was only a good while after she turned 1 that BFing during the day started tapering off, I'd say, but again that depends on how interested and hungry for solids your LO is. I think I started giving sips of (initially boiled) water to wash down food if I couldn't BF, maybe again around 10 mos, but really it was all about the BFing for us for a really long time. I'm sorry this is all a bit up in the air and not very concrete - I'm sure other people will remember more clearly - but for us, I just followed her lead really.
Me: 33
DH: 48
DD: Born 22/01/2011, at 39+2, 6lbs 3oz.

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
kitcantwait
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:10 am

So I always nursed first and offered a little bit of water in a sippy if he wanted it. DS never really needed water to wash down baby food since it's not something that really makes you thirsty. He did get good with the sippy pretty quickly though. As time went on I started offering finger foods and by 9 months I would give him bits of what we were eating, or puffs, cheerios, teether cookies etc. Now he eats pretty much everything, with a cup of milk with lunch and dinner. No milk at breakfast because he nurses right before breakfast, so I give him water with breakfast and snacks. I just gradually increased it based on his needs. Honestly he mostly nursed when we were together,even on weekends for months after we started solids. I mostly sent the solids to daycare.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby LaraE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:14 am

When i started my DD on solids at 5.5 months, i continued to still BF her every 2.5 hrs throughout the daytime hours. So my nursing sessions werent impacted and i kept up with every 2.5 hrs nursing until she weaned at 11.5 months.
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:11 pm

We were EBF until just about 6 months, and have been doing solids for about a month now. I nurse on demand, and mostly offer solids when I eat breakfast or dinner. So far all nursing sessions have remained the same, we have never skipped a session. I imagine once she's older, she will drop the sessions on her own. I also offer water in a sippy cup with solids. DD likes solids and thinks they are fun, and likes to play with her food and learn about taste and texture, but she still loves her milkie above all else! :)
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 am

We kept our regular nursing schedule. We did baby led weaning with our daughter, so we just offered her whatever we were having starting around 6.5 months. It took until around her first birthday for her to have what I would call "meals", which I was fine with since "food before one is just for fun." Breast milk should still be your son's primary source of nutrition through his first birthday. I did give my daughter a small sippy of water with her food, but she didn't take it until around 8 months. I didn't worry about it, just offered the boob again after solids if I thought she might need some liquids to help.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:28 pm

I honestly don't remember details either!! (And my DS is only 2 1/2) I remember we started around 5 1/2 months with just little tastes of softened carrots, peas, avocadoes and bananas. Mostly to keep him from throwing fits while we all ate! That first month or two, he still nursed as normal and didn't really drink any water. Around 6 1/2 -7 months, he started refusing the spoon so at that point I just went to a more "baby led weaning" approach, and offered little bits of what we would normally eat--egg yolks, cheese, meat, cheerios, fruits and soft veggies. I would feed him yogurt, oatmeal and cottage cheese with a spoon. He took off on that pretty quickly,once he could eat on his own. For several months, we just kept up a pretty regular nursing schedule of every 2 1/2- 3 hours, regardless of snacks. Around 9 months, he started showing less interest in nursing and we went through a time when I was almost forcing it on him, LOL! By around 10 months, he was eating 3 full meals of solids a day and nursing around 5 times in a 24 hr period, I think. I think he started drinking more water on his own around a year old. Before that I would have to help him drink some, in addition to the fluids from nursing. We didn't do juice or regular milk or anything much until he weaned fully. When he was a year old, I slowly, like every month or so, would drop a feeding, starting with nap times. He dropped the 5 am feeding on his own after a while, and then at 16 months, he decided he wasn't too interested in his bedtime feeding (the last one to go). So that was the end of nursing! If I had wanted to nurse longer, I suppose I could have pushed it on him longer, but he often, after the 9 - 10 month mark, was not super interested in nursing and I would have to go out of my way to get him to sit still long enough to do it. So I am happy that we made it to 16 months. Every personality is different!

ETA: As he got older, like 10 months? I started offering lunchtime and suppertime before nursing. I nursed before breakfast and for snacks though.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding