another question--constant nursing

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

another question--constant nursing

Postby BeccaM » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Even though this is my 2nd time and I already have quite a bit of experience nursing, this is just such a different nursling, I seem to have lots of questions! :)

So LO is 4 days old. He started off nursing with a bang, with a good latch and very strong suck.He loves to nurse! For the past 2 days, he has been on the breast constantly, worse in the evenings (I know this is cluster feeding). Unless he falls asleep nursing, if I take him off, he immediately gets fussy and tries to get back on. I seem to have lots of milk--I can hear him gulping for a long time but when I take him off, he fusses and he roots on his hands. I have given him a pacifier a couple of times, and he likes that too, though he likes the breast best. I don't want to use a pacifier unless absolutely necessary, it's just that he only seems truly content if he's either sucking or sleeping. His periods of wakeful contentedness are almost nonexistent! :)

I'm wondering if this is "colic"? Could he be gassy or in pain in some way? Nursing seems to solve all of his woes, but I honestly can't nurse 100% of the time. DH is going back to work on Monday and I have a 2 1/2 year old to take care of. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: another question--constant nursing

Postby jessm » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 am

This can be normal newborn behavior. He is having enough dirty and wet diapers and gaining weight well yes? I don't think colic would appear this early. Sometimes, just because they're gulping doesn't mean they are gulping milk, they could be gulping air which would lead to gas too. He may have been a baby who sucked his fingers and hands a lot in utero too. How long is he sleeping at a stretch after nursing?
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby BeccaM » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:39 pm

He sleeps well--actually he gave us 2 four hour stretches last night! :D It's just 90%o of the time he's awake, he wants to suck, nursing, pacifier or even our finger if nothing else, LOL! And yes, I had several u/s near the end of my pregnancy due to complications, and he was always sucking his fingers or feet. So maybe he is just addicted to sucking!! It's just very time-consuming right now, and I won't have as much time to just hang out and nurse after DH heads back to work... :?
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 pm

My second was the same way. My first was pretty good about nursing every two hours, was content hanging out or with a pacifier between feedings. Easy peasy. My second, however, wanted a boob in her mouth all the time. If she was awake, she wanted to be nursing. No pacifiers, no hanging out in a swing or bouncy. I got pretty good at using the Moby around the house so I could still be spending time with DS and getting housework done while appeasing her constant need to nurse. I want to say it got better around 3 or 4 months.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:44 am

If he's gaining well and not having an issue with switching from breast to pacifier and back, then I don't see a problem with a paci.
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby KJ511 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:43 pm

Hahahaha! I love the sucking in utero! What a sweetie! And congrats on the birth of your DS! :D
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby BeccaM » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:28 am

So far, so good. We're settling into a routine now. Nursing every 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours all day long, and then constantly from about 6 - 10 pm, LOL! But then he sleeps a 4 - 6 hour stretch and then another good stretch after that. So he must be stocking up all day... I've only been using the paci if I am desperate to keep him peaceful for a few minutes at a time in the evenings. Don't want to make it a habit. He has plenty of pee and poop diapers and will be weighed again today to see if he's gained his birth weight back. I think he's doing okay! :)

We noticed something funny too... that he needs to be sucking in order to have a bowel movement? I read somewhere that some babies are like that. So if he gets fussy right after eating and acts hungry again, we try the paci or our finger in his mouth, and then he's able to have a bowel movement. Funny the quirks babies have. Thanks for all your help! Those first few sleep deprived days or weeks can make even a second-time mom question herself and her milk supply!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:34 am

The cluster feeding is the main thing I don't miss!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby KJ511 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 am

BeccaM wrote:So far, so good. We're settling into a routine now. Nursing every 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours all day long, and then constantly from about 6 - 10 pm, LOL! But then he sleeps a 4 - 6 hour stretch and then another good stretch after that. So he must be stocking up all day... I've only been using the paci if I am desperate to keep him peaceful for a few minutes at a time in the evenings. Don't want to make it a habit. He has plenty of pee and poop diapers and will be weighed again today to see if he's gained his birth weight back. I think he's doing okay! :)

We noticed something funny too... that he needs to be sucking in order to have a bowel movement? I read somewhere that some babies are like that. So if he gets fussy right after eating and acts hungry again, we try the paci or our finger in his mouth, and then he's able to have a bowel movement. Funny the quirks babies have. Thanks for all your help! Those first few sleep deprived days or weeks can make even a second-time mom question herself and her milk supply!

Definitely--I think the first few weeks of her life DD would poop during every feeding! The doctor said that the sucking stimulates their intestines to contract so they can get rid of the old stuff and let the new stuff come in!
Me (Kelli)-28
DH-31

The Zebra family! :)
KJ511
Addicted
Addicted

Postby BeccaM » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 pm

KJ511 wrote:
BeccaM wrote:So far, so good. We're settling into a routine now. Nursing every 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours all day long, and then constantly from about 6 - 10 pm, LOL! But then he sleeps a 4 - 6 hour stretch and then another good stretch after that. So he must be stocking up all day... I've only been using the paci if I am desperate to keep him peaceful for a few minutes at a time in the evenings. Don't want to make it a habit. He has plenty of pee and poop diapers and will be weighed again today to see if he's gained his birth weight back. I think he's doing okay! :)

Definitely--I think the first few weeks of her life DD would poop during every feeding! The doctor said that the sucking stimulates their intestines to contract so they can get rid of the old stuff and let the new stuff come in!

Interesting! This little guy does not poop every feeding. He saves up 2 or 3 each day and they are MESSY!! Anyway, the midwife weighed him today and he's gained 5 oz over his birth weight--11 oz from his lowest point. That's over 2 oz a day! 8O So I guess I can stop worrying now, LOL.

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby unaffected » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 am

jessm wrote:If he's gaining well and not having an issue with switching from breast to pacifier and back, then I don't see a problem with a paci.

I agree with this! My little guy was very similar to what you are describing, Becca, and the paci saved me! He never, ever had any type of nipple confusion, and continues to be a champion nurser. We've even added bottles in to the mix, and still no issues.

Congratulations on your little one!
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby BeccaM » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 am

unaffected wrote:
jessm wrote:If he's gaining well and not having an issue with switching from breast to pacifier and back, then I don't see a problem with a paci.

I agree with this! My little guy was very similar to what you are describing, Becca, and the paci saved me! He never, ever had any type of nipple confusion, and continues to be a champion nurser. We've even added bottles in to the mix, and still no issues.

Congratulations on your little one!

Good to hear! I have tried the paci off and on when I need a break, but he's beginning to think it really doesn't hold a candle to Mommy... so he has been spitting it out the last couple of days. Oh well! He has stopped nursing quite as constantly as before, and his digestive system is regulating a bit, so I might not even need the paci long term. I hope to try introducing a bottle for occasional bottle feedings at some point. When did you try that?

BTW, I think Simon and your little man actually look a little bit alike, like brothers! How funny!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:48 pm

We had to do a bottle for supplements pretty early on because my milk too TEN (you heard me. TEN) days to come in and my son was about to be diagnosed with failure to thrive. However he didn't latch like AT ALL after trying the bottle so I used an eyedropper to supplement until my milk came in. We started introducing the occasional bottle around 8 or 9 weeks. I was hesitant with it because we had fought so hard to get breastfeeding to work that I didn't want to do anything that could hinder it. In your case I think I would say wait until he is 4-6 weeks.
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding