Bound and Determined

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Bound and Determined

Postby shay620 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:14 am

So I have spent the last several weeks researching breast feeding with flat nipples... This is baby #4 for us and come hell or high water I am going to do this! Here is how it has gone so far:

DD1, now 13: nursed for 2 weeks but was young and immature about it so I did not continue despite being a milk factory. I had to wrap a sheet around my breasts and avoid any stimulation just to get it to stop

DD2, now 3.5: nursed right after section and then they discovered the dr has cut my bladder during the c sec and I had to have many tests done with a chemical not safe for milk so they had me pumping and dumping. When I went back to trying to feed 3 days later, I could not get a good latch. I kept trying and pumping and home but my milk supply dissapeared and after 6 weeks of breast milk and supplemental formula, I gave up.

DD3, now 16mos: I was ready but no one told me the extreme uterine cramps that would come with having babies close together and breast feeding. I found myself in tears all the time and again not latching. I had consulted a lactation consultant who told me not to use a shield and that my nipples would toughen up and the cramps would diminish. 4 weeks later, no luck on either, I was cracked and bleeding, cramping to tears and my baby was starving so to formula we went.

Now this is our last baby and although my DH thinks I am crazy, I am determined. This is supposed to work, I am supposed to be able to do this for my baby :(

Any tips or tricks for working with very flat nipples would be appreciated!

Me-34 DH-34
DD1- 3.1.00
DD2- 8.26.09
DD3- 12.19.11
EDD #4- 10.26.13!!!

shay620
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Bound and Determined

Postby jessm » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:13 pm

I'm going to do a little more research and get back to you, but it IS completely doable. For one, whoever told you a shield is bad...a shield is specifically for people who have flat nipples. They also make these things that you can wear on your nipples in between breastfeedings that bring them out. I definitely recommend a GOOD IBCLC, a Breastfeeding USA group or La Leche League. They can be a huge help. The cramps will suck since it's your fourth baby, but that won't last long.

Congrats!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby BeccaM » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:19 am

I am not familiar with BF'ing with flat nipples, but I have a friend that with her first daughter, she had a really hard time with that problem. She ended up using a nipple shield for the first few weeks. She went on to nurse her daughter for a year! So I know it can happen! If you're determined, you will be able to do it :)

As a side on the cramping after delivery--my midwife gave me an herb tincture after this birth called "After-ease" and man, was that stuff amazing!!! It worked really well at helping the pain from cramps, and it was all-natural. I didn't have to take any ibuprofen this time, which I did with my first baby.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shay620 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:58 am

Thanks Ladies!!!
Me-34 DH-34
DD1- 3.1.00
DD2- 8.26.09
DD3- 12.19.11
EDD #4- 10.26.13!!!

shay620
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:27 pm

OH,I found it helped my first son latching on at first (he was jaundiced, had a high palate and my nipples weren't all the way drawn out) by pumping for a minute and then latching him on. It seemed to make it easier for him.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding