Need help with weaning my 15 month old

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Need help with weaning my 15 month old

Postby ktb0418 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:52 pm

Breastfeeding was such a challenge for both of us at the beginning, but man did we both get good at it.

When DS turned 13 months he was still nursing 5-6 times a day (plus 3 meals and a snack and milk in a cup). Since then I have reduced (pretty easily and comfortably) the number of feedings to 3. On Monday I hope to try and cut out the only day time feeding (11:30ish AM, before nap) and then only have first thing in the morning and right before bed. I do not nurse DS to sleep, thankfully he figured out with my help how to fall asleep on his own at like 5 months.

The reason I reduced feedings was to help bring back my fertility quicker and it seems to have worked. I got a BFP yesterday at just 10 dpo.

I really do not want to nurse throughout my pregnancy, I don't exactly know why, I think just that pregnancy is demanding enough that why add more into the mix. I do however feel like my son likes nursing and will feel guilty cutting him off if he is not ready.

A few questions:
- At how many weeks of pregnancy does your milk typically reduce? It seems like it may have happened, not that he complains, just seems to nurse a little longer. He hasn't seemed to mind the taste yet.

- Any strategies towards tackling the first thing in the morning or bedtime feed first? I think they will both be tough. He comes in the bed with me and lays down and nurses, so I guess avoiding our bedroom might be a start.

- Do you think moving nursing to before bath or pjs/book might be the way to start and then just kinda cut that out and see if he notices?

Thanks for your help!
Katie: 33
DH: 33
DS#1: January 2012
DS#2: January 2014
Baby #3: EDD 1/27/16

MC: March 2011 (6.5 weeks)
ktb0418
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Need help with weaning my 15 month old

Postby BeccaM » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:26 pm

We had started feeding him a snack and then reading books to our son before his naps and he really enjoyed those. He already went down for naps without being fully asleep, just relaxed. So all I had to do was eliminate one nap time feeding at a time, and since he wasn't that into nursing, it wasn't that hard for him. We just read extra books and had hugs and kisses before naptime. He dropped his last feeding, which was before bedtime at night, while we were on a trip staying with our inlaws. He fell asleep two different times in the car on the way home from visiting, so we just decided to not nurse him the next night and read books instead and he never seemed to notice. He was 16 months at the time.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding