The end of pumping??

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

The end of pumping??

Postby mrsg2008 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:33 pm

We're about 5 1/2 weeks away from DD turning 1 (?!), and I am slightly torn about pumping. I pump twice a day at work, and I get anywhere from 8-12 ozs per day. DD eats 12-24 ozs a day when I work, so I'm definitely not pumping enough to keep up, but we do have a freezer stash, so we are ok for now. We BF when we are together. I'm really not sure if I want to or should continue pumping after the 1 year mark. I don't really mind doing it at work, even though it's kind of a hassle. I enjoy taking a little break and having some quiet time. DD is a really great eater when it comes to solids, but I'm not sure she's ready for it to practically sustain her. Another thing to consider is that I don't think my state has laws mandating pumping time be allowed past 1 year.

When did you stop pumping, or when do you plan to stop? Any suggestions? Do I taper DD off of drinking BM during the day, or how does that work?
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Re: The end of pumping??

Postby h0ping » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:48 am

Hi! Congrats on making it this far!!! I have one question - do you plan to introduce milk (cow's or otherwise) at 1 year? When weaning most start introducing milk around 1 year and from what I have read if still breastfeeding - do that when together and offer milk when apart (in addition to the solids) My lo just turned 10 months and I EP and plan to continue after 1 year if I can but when ready to stop or if my supply would take a hit for some reason I would then introduce milk (but for me I am thinking almond or coconut milk since LO has a dairy sensitivity.....) That is my plan anyway :D

Image Image
h0ping
Angel
Angel

Postby mrsg2008 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Yes, I am planning on introducing a bit of cow's milk, but I think I'd feel better if she still had some BM during the day. I talked to a supervisor at work today about extending my pumping past 1 year, and she said she didn't think it would be an issue, because the people who smoke take 2 15-minute breaks a day plus the 30-minute lunch, so I should be fine keeping that schedule. I may change my mind as we go along, too, and that's just fine as well. :)
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby carak21 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:31 am

I actually curious about this too. I know Jessm stopped at one year but I'm unsure of how she went about it...maybe she can give us some ideas

I also will introduce milk but plan to bf still twice a day. I don't want to pump after a year though. I despise pumping and proud of myself for making it this far lol.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding