Two Week Wait

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)
Post a reply

Increasing Milk Production

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Hello Ladies,

I'm currently onto month 7 breast feeding my son and have had wonderful success with it. :-) I nursed my 1st son 8 years ago until he got teeth around 6-7 months. He was a biter. OUCH!!! Anyway, I'm trying to bypass formula all together with this one. So, I'm wanting to BFeed my new LO until time for regular milk. I just noticed over the past several days that my milk production has greatly decreased. I pump 3 times at work during the day. I usually would get 6-7oz from the first pump and then 4-5 for the next 2 pumping sessions. Now I'm barely getting 10-11 oz from the 3 combined. This past wekend we were at a ball tournament and I was unable to keep my regular feeding schedule with my son. He is thriving well and has plenty of wet and poopy diapers. I have read about fenugreek and I bought some yesterday from GNC. I took 2 pills yesterday. 1 at 5pm and another before bedtime then another this AM around 6am and one at 2pm today. I also bought some Mothers Milk tea and I drank one cup yesterday evening and one this morning and OMG, YUCK!!! How long does it take for this stuff to work and does it work? Anyway, does anyone have any advice/opinions/stories on what worked for them. I'm hoping that this is just a temorary decrease in milk due to the "off" weekend. Plus I think I'm getting ready to have a visit from AF. Been kind of crampy the past 2 days and it is time for her visit. Oh JOY!! I read that sometimes a few days before AF comes your milk production can decrease then once you start things pick back up. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. God Bless!!

Re: Increasing Milk Production

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:56 am

I was Going to say it sounds like AF is going to show. Right before I start I notice a decrease. I've never done any of those things for milk production but I heard the fenugreek should work in a couple days. I pretty much just make sure to eat a bowl of old fashioned oatmeal everyday and that keeps things going. Also you could just be overthinking the situation because you had a few slow days of pumping. Your son is probably still getting plenty! Around this time your milk supply definitely knows what to do so your boobs are no longer "full" feeling so it could all be combined. As long as he has plenty of wet dipes I wouldn't worry, even though being a mother has its fair share of worries! Congratulations for making it so far :)

Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:11 am

Thanks for the reply. Right after I posted the thread I went to the bathroom and low and behold AF was here. YAY but AAAHHHH!!! LOL I think I'm going to take the fenugreek for the next couple of days until things get back to normal. Good news is that this morning I pumped 5 ozs. Which is good considering I was only getting about 2-3 ozs the past couple fo days when I was pumping in the morning. I usually pump between 6-7 oz. So things are leveling back out Thank GOD!!! I need to mark my calendar so that next month when AF comes I can start taking some fenugreek a couple of days before hand to combat the possible decrease of milk. Again, thanks for your reply. Good luck to all of you breast feeding mommas. Hope maybe this thread will help someone who might have the same issue. God Bless!!!

Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Yes, my milk supply went down a few days before AF arrived and bounced back again after she was in full force :) i got my cycle back at 3 1/2 mos PP with my first son, and it's threatening to come back soon with my second, who just turned 4 months. So I have had some supply issues around AF, since my AF came back unusually early and my babies weren't even taking solids yet, and I EBF. I found I sometimes had to supplement here and there with some frozen BM. Other than that, I just nurse more often and also I will drink several cups of Mama's milk tea a day, if it feels like my supply is really down. Typically I have very good milk supply, so it's all hormonal, and quite frustrating :x --fortunately it doesn't last long!

ETA: The Mama's milk tea really works, but it seems more effective if you drink it for a few days and let it kind of "build up" in your system. It's really good for you all around--it cleanses your liver and kidneys and provides lots of vitamins and nutrients, as well as boosting milk supply. If you add some lemon juice and honey, it makes it taste b etter. I am so used to it now, I just drink it down as is, but I agree, it's pretty blech :)

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 am

BeccaM, thanks for the response. For the past week or so I have been taking Fenugreek and that has seemed to help. Things have picked back. Thank God! Right before AF I'll probably add in some tea also just for a little extra help. Just not going to give up on the BFing yet. My goal is to keep at it till he is ready for regular milk. As long as he is growing and is happy I'll do what I have to do. took him to doctor for a checkup on Friday and he is weighing right at 22lbs and he is 7 months old, so he is for sure growing just fine. :-) God Bless!!

Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:55 am

tdarrow wrote:BeccaM, thanks for the response. For the past week or so I have been taking Fenugreek and that has seemed to help. Things have picked back. Thank God! Right before AF I'll probably add in some tea also just for a little extra help. Just not going to give up on the BFing yet. My goal is to keep at it till he is ready for regular milk. As long as he is growing and is happy I'll do what I have to do. took him to doctor for a checkup on Friday and he is weighing right at 22lbs and he is 7 months old, so he is for sure growing just fine. :-) God Bless!!

Sounds like he's growing very well! Great job, and glad things have improved for you!
Post a reply
IsoFresh
PregEase
Milkies Milksaver
PeaPodPrenatal
Milkies Milk Trays
DreamBelly Butter
Nursing Blend