So I think I nursed my son for the last time this morning

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

So I think I nursed my son for the last time this morning

Postby ktb0418 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:43 am

DS just turned 18 months, did I ever think I would be nursing an 18 month old? No way! I just found nursing so hard in the beginning and didn't know how we would survive.

I started weaning DS around 13 months where we dropped from 6 to 5 feedings and then down to just 2 feedings at a little over 15 months. I mainly did this as I wasn't ovulating and wanting to get pregnant. We dropped the night time feed a week ago with no issues at all. Now it's just the morning one and DH and I are gonna try not having me nurse him in the morning (DH is just gonna bring him right downstairs and get breakfast going instead of to me in the bed).

I am nervous, I don't want him to feel rejected and I am also a little sad. I teared up as I was feeding him this morning realizing this could very well be the last time. But I think we are both ready and I am 15 weeks pregnant and nursing has become kind of uncomfortable in the last 2 months plus I really don't want to tandem feed. I find feeding a newborn demanding enough.

I am proud and sad but I am sure I will get over it if DS seems to be totally cool with weaning, that is really all that matters to me.

Thanks for listening!
Katie: 33
DH: 33
DS#1: January 2012
DS#2: January 2014
Baby #3: EDD 1/27/16

MC: March 2011 (6.5 weeks)
ktb0418
Star Member
Star Member

Re: So I think I nursed my son for the last time this mornin

Postby litmajor » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:38 am

Congratulations on making it this far. It does sound sad, but bittersweet. Hope it is all going well for you!
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Oh, you did great nursing that long! You will find that your relationship will just adjust as you wean and he becomes a "big boy"! My 2 1/2 year old weaned at 16 months. I would have gone longer but he was a busy boy, and not too interested once he was able to run around everywhere :-) I am with you on the tandem nursing. I really don't have interest in that either. Congrats on your pregnancy!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:56 am

Congrats! I'll be sad too when my son weans. I can't decide if I want him to wean during my next pregnancy or if I really want to make it to the 2 year mark.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding