Unusual newborn patterns--FYI

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Unusual newborn patterns--FYI

Postby BeccaM » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Just thought this info might be helpful for anyone who has a newborn who doesn't follow the normal eating and pooping patterns, LOL :)

My now 4 month old son was born at home, in a lovely homebirth, the end of March. He was born with a strong suck and allowed to nurse right away. He was fussy and wanted to nurse all.the.time, but no big deal to me, since it was my second and I expected it. He didn't really want to stay latched on too long, 15 min max. He just wanted it frequently during the day, and especially like every 45 min- 1 hr in the evening.

By the time he was a week old, he was sleeping 5- 6 hour stretches at night, but he was nursing like 12 - 14 times during the day, and a bunch before bed, so my midwife (also my breastfeeding mentor) was not concerned. For the first month, he did NOT have the typical amount of poopy diapers. I know they always say 2 - 4 poopy diapers a day until they are over a month old, blah, blah... so I was a little concerned, but this child seriously only pooped 2 or 3 times a week right from the beginning! And then they were mudslides :D He had lots of wet diapers, though. When he was weighed in at 1 and 2 weeks old, his weight gain was phenomenal. He was (and still is) between 95 - 99th percentile in height and weight both for his age.

So he gained a huge amount of weight while only a few minutes at each session, and having far fewer poopy diapers than is considered normal.

After reading the LLL book and other info, I realized his patterns were definitely not typical for a newborn. So I just wanted to mention this, as reassurance to those who have these issues, don't worry like I did! I think probably the best indication of whether newborns are getting enough to eat is weight gain.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Unusual newborn patterns--FYI

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:08 pm

Neat to know. Every newborn I've seen (including DD and my niece and nephew) have all pooped every single time they ate for at least the first few months! I didn't know this.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Unusual newborn patterns--FYI

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:53 am

NotBarbaraBush wrote:Neat to know. Every newborn I've seen (including DD and my niece and nephew) have all pooped every single time they ate for at least the first few months! I didn't know this.

That's how my first son was. So I was a little concerned this second time, but he seemed to be thriving so I gave up worrying!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Breastfeeding