New to breastfeeding...

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

New to breastfeeding...

Postby love4life » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:37 am

'I'm very new to bf'ing DVD could use all the help i can get. Tips, stories really anything. My son is 6 days old, i feel like everything is going well. Just need some support. Thank you
love4life
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: New to breastfeeding...

Postby kiwifaire » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 am

Are you having any issues at all? I have nursed my two daughters for a combined total of 28 months!
kiwifaire
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby jessm » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 am

I"ve been nursing my son for 19.5 months now! We had a really rough start and if it wasn't for my LC I may have given up. It took 10 days for my milk to come in. However, once everything clicked it got really easy. Around 3 months it was a breeze. So much easier than dealing with bottles. I hated washing those dang things when he went to daycare!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby love4life » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Not really, how do i keep him up to finish a feed or want the second breast? He's rearing well and gaining great..i just want him to be getting all he needs and not wanting to feed all the time because he always falls asleep!
love4life
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby love4life » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:45 pm

He's eating* well
love4life
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby kiwifaire » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:32 am

When my first daughter was younger she would often fall asleep at the boob. I took to feeding her on one side, when she fell asleep I would take that opportunity to change her diaper. She would wake up and then I would finish her feed on the other side.
kiwifaire
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby love4life » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:09 pm

That's what i do. And sometimes it works really well. But sometimes he only feeds for a few minutes on each side and wants to eat an hour later. Is that Okk?? I just want him on a good schedule and me to have a good milk supply. So far everything seems to be working out Ok.
love4life
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:14 am

A big thing with EBF babies, especially very early on, is that scheduling is not going to happen, at least not without some potential complications (failure to thrive, low milk supply, etc). Some fall into every 2-3 hours pretty easily (my son did) whereas others want to nurse what feels like constantly (my daughter) for the first three months. Both are normal. My son was a sleepy baby, so to keep him awake I would strip him all the way down to his diaper during a feed. If he was really not wanting to stay awake, a wipe or damp wash cloth down his back or wiggling his ears would help. I also did the diaper change between sides. For my constant eater (DD) I would wear her in the Moby around the house so I could still get housework done and spend time with my older child.

The first few weeks are honestly the hardest. Once you get through the sleepiness and both of you learning (and your hormones leveling out) it gets so much easier. There will also be growth spurts, typically every 2 weeks for the first couple of months and then every couple of months after that. During those times, baby will nurse all the time for a few days. It's how they get your milk supply up for their upcoming growth. It's completely normal and as long as baby is gaining weight and peeing and pooping, it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you or supply.

It's also normal for them to go through a period of fussiness at night. I don't know why it happens, but a lot of babies go through it. Just be prepared that if that happens, you will be sitting and nursing for a few hours each evening. My son didn't do it but my daughter did. She incidentally slept through the night from 2 weeks to 7 months (and then woke like a newborn for the next 18 months...sigh...) and my son didn't sleep through until he was 18 months old, so maybe it's their way of filling their tummies before a long sleep? I honestly have no idea, just a theory.

You're doing a great job! Congratulations on your little guy!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:48 pm

Their tummies are so little when they are newborns, so it's normal for them to be hungry often. Just nurse him whenever he's hungry, and you'll do great! :)
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby love4life » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:03 am

Thank you ladies. I feel like everything is going very well :)) he's a very good baby!
love4life
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby BeccaM » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:13 pm

So glad everything is going well!

Definitely agree with what Stefanielynn said--erratic patterns in the first month or two are totally normal! They just want to cluster nurse sometimes, and sleep a lot sometimes. If he's really sleepy and not getting enough to eat, you might have to try waking him up, but otherwise, don't worry about it. I never had that problem with either of my kids. They were super alert from the beginning, and they both nursed every hour sometimes! They also had a really fussy period before bed, but then slept pretty well once they nursed a lot...

You'll get in a rhythm soon. Congratulations!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby momoftreasures » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:31 am

I have breastfed 7 babies for a minimum of 18 months each. My advice is to do WHATEVER your baby wants for the first year. It helps to try to nurse as soon as the baby wakes. Schedules can be detrimental to milk supply especially in the first 3 or 4 months. I once had one nurse for 7 hours straight. Just kept switching sides. Growth spurt? Upset tummy? Who knows, but we got through it. You'll do great as long as you listen to your baby.
momoftreasures

Return to Breastfeeding