Ds won't take a bottle

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Ds won't take a bottle

Postby Greystreet » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:30 pm

So I have been EBF for three months now except when I was 6 wks pp I had to have my gallbladder out so ds took bottles of formula for 24hrs bc the anesthesiologist scared the crap outta me even though now I read it's not that bad but at that point my pumped stash was pretty pathetic, but now I have a good stash of breastmilk and I wanted dh to start giving him a bottle every once in awhile and I want a few date nights where a grandma can watch him, and low and behold he will not take a bottle, he absolutely refuses it to the point of gagging, choking and screaming..... Nbd in the sense that I'm a stay at home mommy with all the time in the world to bf BUT I need to know I can have a date night or whatever and now I feel hopeless any suggestions?!?! I thought since he took a bottle so well at 6 wks pp that whenever we tried again it would be fine I don't get what happened
Greystreet
Angel
Angel

Re: Ds won't take a bottle

Postby litmajor » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Have you tried a faster nipple flow? We were so confused that my DD seemed so anti bottle before realizing we were trying to use a newborn nipple on a 9 month old..
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mrsg2008 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 am

Is it you that's trying to give your DS the bottle? Some EBF babies won't take a bottle from mama, but will take one from others. Or maybe try a different type of bottle? My DD took one for about 2 months, then just flat out refused. We did still get out a few times, and she'd take about an ounce or two from her grandparents...just enough to sustain herself until I came home! Around 5/6 months, I introduced a sippy with BM, and she took to it right away!
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Greystreet » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:29 am

I have never tried giving him the bottle, he took it from dh at 5 wks old and my mom at 6 wks old and recently it was my MIL who tried while we were out to see a band play and I ended up having to come home and feed him an then go back out lol! But I love love love the suggestion of a faster nipple bc we only have the newborn nipples still and he's almost 4 mos old so I think I'm going to go out and buy a different kind of bottle plus faster flow nipples! And I also love the idea of a bm in a sippy cup if worst comes to worst just two more months and we can try that!
Greystreet
Angel
Angel

Postby Greystreet » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 am

Oh and since that night dh tried a couple more times and he was still refusing so I know it's not a fluke with the MIL that he refused........
Greystreet
Angel
Angel

Postby armywife1980 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:43 pm

I was told that you should always use the slowest flow nipple possible with breast fed babies. I never went up in nipple flow for my girl. She also would only take an Evenflo Bebek bottle. I tried Playtex, Mam, Breastflow and several others. She was also very picky and would only take it VERY warm.
Brandie (33) DH (32) Twin Boys (15) DD#1 (11) DD#2 (1yr)
Alyssa Marie 7/20/12 @ 7lb 11oz & 21in long
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Greystreet » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Armywife thanks for the advice on nipple flow! I am currently doing a "bottle boot camp" every morning before I feed him I try a bottle of breastmilk only about an ounce and if he refuses I let him breastfeed a little then try again and we do this throughout the whole feeding and so far I have been able to get him to take an ounce lol! But he's also not fighting or crying and just after two days he was trying to hold it himself and the one problem I noticed is the nipple flow was too fast so I went back to the slow flow and he seems to like that better, maybe bc it's harder to get out just like it is breastfeeding! However I don't like the tommee tippee bottle we have been using so I'm gonna try the one you suggested and see if that makes a difference as well :)
Greystreet
Angel
Angel

Return to Breastfeeding