Pump recommendations?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Pump recommendations?

Postby TheNewMrsM » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:22 am

Hey ladies! We are expecting our first at the end of February, and I'm planning on breastfeeding her. :) I'm so confused about breast pumps because I've heard soooo many different and conflicting things about them. Which ones to you all recommend? I appreciate your help!!!!

Take care,
Katie
Me (Katie): 39
DH: 36
1st BFP: 6/17/2013!!! :D

TheNewMrsM
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Pump recommendations?

Postby tdarrow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:03 am

First of all congrats on your lil one!!! I did not have the money to purchase an electric pump. So I have used the Advent hand pump (about $45) with both of my boys. So far it works great. I have not had any troubles and it is easy to use and clean. :-) I have been pumping 3 times a day at work 5 days a week since the first week of March and so far so good. I plan on Breastfeeding/giving breastmilk to my little one until he is one. I want to bypass the formula bit if possible. Anyway, this pump has worked and is working for me. Good luck and God Bless!!
tdarrow
Angel
Angel

Postby bazil323 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Well, I'm still preg so haven't actually tried any yet, but I hear great things about the Medela and the Ameda Purely Yours. The Dr Brown's Double Electric Breast Pump seems to be a new pump so haven't seen a lot of reviews but most seem pretty favorable. Apparently, it has softer flanges than a lot of other brands so may pinch less, although I've read lots of reviews that said the Medela, etc. were just fine too.

If you can get a hospital grade pump, I hear the Hygeia is awesome. The advantage to them is that they are supposed to be more efficient and you can resell them when you are done because it's a closed system so no chance of breastmilk getting into the motor or anything. Just have to replace the tubing, etc. and the next mom is good to go.

If you are going to be pumping regularly, the most people say to go with an electric double pump because it's faster & more efficient than a handpump. I guess you can also damage milk ducts if you use a handpump too often or incorrectly, but I don't know that for sure, just heard a rumor somewhere.

You might be able to get a pump through your insurance too. Mine covers pumps at 100%, but I have to get a Dr's prescription and get it through a medical supply company after baby is born. Some people can just buy a pump and get reimbursed all or a portion of the cost, but you should check with what your insurance company covers and when (most cover pumps only after baby is born and some only within the month after baby is born or something like that).
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby unaffected » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:58 am

My insurance covered my breastpump completely! I have a Medela double electric pump, and I love it! I've used it several times daily for 7 or 8 months now (I went back to work when baby boy was 10 weeks old), and I've never had any issues. It is a workhorse! I highly recommend it. Plus, parts are easy to find (Target, online, etc).
Me (Kara): 31 DH: 31 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby TheNewMrsM » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:18 pm

So it turned out that my insurance is getting me a Medela Pump in Style. Right now, I am using a rental (Medela Symphony) that I was given at discharge (our little man came early!). I'm exclusively pumping while he's still in the hospital, and hopefully, when he gets nice a plumped up (lol), we can switch to breastfeeding only.

TheNewMrsM
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby MommaR » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 am

Insurance can cover the breast pump?!?!? What?! I have priority health... hmmm... I think I should make a phone call :) Im due in July and it sure would be handy to have a pump at home.
Me: 30
DH: 28
DS 1: 5
DS 2: 3
Angel Baby: August 31, 2013 (6 weeks)
BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD July 8, 2014!
Beta: 49.2 (12 dpo)
Beta: 143 (14 dpo)
Ultrasound November 11, 2013 - Saw baby and heartbeat (122)!
Ultrasound at 8 weeks 6 days heartbeat was 164!
H.b. at 13 weeks was 148!
Elective Ultrasound 16.2 weeks - IT'S A GIRL!!!
Ultrasound 18.6 weeks - STILL a girl!!!
Ultrasound 20 weeks - S.T.I.L.L. a girl!!! :)
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
MommaR
Star Member
Star Member

Postby TheNewMrsM » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:03 am

Definitely check with your insurance!! Make sure to ask them if they want you to use a medical supply place and found out which one. It helps to do the leg work yourself instead of relying on the drs office to do it for you. I had to provide the medical supply place with a prescription and my insurance information and that was all. I'm just waiting for it to get here now. :) Good luck!

TheNewMrsM
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Breastfeeding