Drinking?

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Drinking?

Postby mrsg2008 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:27 pm

I hope this is ok to ask here without judgement:
DH and I will be going out of state for a wedding next weekend, and I am still BFing. DD will be staying with my in-laws. I am planning on having more than a few drinks. This will be a one time occurrence. I have been trying to see if I need to pump and dump a few times or not, but have not been successful in finding anything. I am ok with doing this if necessary. I'm just curious if it IS necessary, or if I should just wait several hours (like 8-10) before pumping or nursing again. Does anyone know, or know where I can find information? If I do need to pump and dump, how long/how many times should I do it? TIA!
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Drinking?

Postby HappyBaby » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Alcohol will metastasize out of your milk at about the same rate that it does out of your blood. It doesn't "store" up in your breast which was the original idea behind pumping and dumping. I always made sure to feed my son before I had my drink, and then for the remainder of the night he got frozen or pre-pumped bm. By the time you sober up it should pretty much be out of your milk as well. If you are worried about it thoug there are alcohol detecting milk strips that work really well. I bought mine at Target and they have always worked to tell me when it was ok to bf again or if I should dump what I just pumped. If you feel too full and you need to pump but you still feel intoxicated then yes I would dump that milk. And don't feel guilty about any of it. You are an adult, you are having a nice weekend with your husband, and you are being proactive about trying to find out what's healthiest for your baby. ;) Enjoy yourself!
"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside"
HappyBaby
Angel
Angel

Postby carak21 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:19 am

We have went out one time to a concert and I drank. Not really as much as I had planned but enough where I had a buzz. My DS stayed with my mom overnight. I pumped in the morning to relieve engorgement but ended up dumping it just in case. As soon as we were home I nursed and all was fine. Enjoy your wedding :) Just like pp said, your an adult, if anyone feels the need to judge they shouldn't comment on your post.
Cara (28)
DH-Casey 36
DSS-Taylor-15
DS-Archer-1
DD-Aspen Claire born September 1st 7lb 1 oz

carak21
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:14 am

I totally agree with what has been said. I would only pump and dump if you're engorged and uncomfortable. I follow the rule of safe to drive, safe to nurse. As soon as you are sober enough to drive safely and legally, I would go ahead and nurse. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:32 am

stefanielynn wrote:I totally agree with what has been said. I would only pump and dump if you're engorged and uncomfortable. I follow the rule of safe to drive, safe to nurse. As soon as you are sober enough to drive safely and legally, I would go ahead and nurse. :)

That's my motto.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:43 am

You want to make sure you pump often enough to maintain your supply, but you only have to dump if you feel drunk. If you feel fine the alcohol is out of your milk. You can buy little test strips to dip into your milk as well that will tell if there is alcohol in the milk.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding