Miscarriage and breastfeeding while pregnant

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Miscarriage and breastfeeding while pregnant

Postby jacslove » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:20 am

I have been reading such conflicting information about this topic the last few days. I have a history of miscarriage...I had 2 miscarriages after my first son was born ( 32 and not breastfeeding) and have had 2 more this year (39 and breastfeeding my 2 year old). I nursed my son throughout my last pregnancy (I was 37 when my daughter was born) and had no problems at all. I even tandem nursed for about 6 months. I am now 5 weeks pregnant and wondering if i should wean my little girl to decrease my chances of a third miscarriage. She is no where near ready and I don't really mind. Its a way for me to have some quiet time and her to go to sleep easier. Also nursing an infant was so much easier when I had nursed throughout pregnancy. I had very little nipple tenderness and my milk came in so much faster than it had with any other baby.
So the short story is that I'm needing the advice of others who have done more research than I have on this subject. Thanks for reading!
Me: Jacquie 39
DH:35
DS1: 7
DS2 5
DD1 2 1/2
DD2 Due July 3, 2014 :)
jacslove
Angel
Angel

Re: Miscarriage and breastfeeding while pregnant

Postby litmajor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am

I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that breastfeeding can affect ttc, but not necessarily pregnancy. So if you are already pregnant, you've passed that hurdle. FWIW, my OB office did not seem concerned about BFing while pregnant either.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jacslove » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks litmajor!
Me: Jacquie 39
DH:35
DS1: 7
DS2 5
DD1 2 1/2
DD2 Due July 3, 2014 :)
jacslove
Angel
Angel

Postby jessm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:17 am

I would talk to your OB about your personal case. I think it depends on the actual cause of your miscarriage. I know for some women with a history of PTL it can be an issue, but I don't think miscarriage is an issue with breastfeeding.
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby Kryssy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:22 am

I had three miscarriages while trying to get DS1. So I have a history of them. I nursed DS1 until he was (15 months) and I was 9 weeks pregnant with DS2. With DS2 I nursed him until he was (14 months) and I was 6 months pregnant with this one. I never had any issues other than really sore nipples. I did not lose either of them. I know my mom and MIL both thought I was crazy and couldn't believe you could nurse while pregnant but I wasn't about to give it up lol
Me: Kryssy 32
DH: 28
DS: Born Dec. 27, 2010
DS: Born Aug. 30, 2012
DD: Born Dec. 12, 2013
5 Angels.

ImageImage
Kryssy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby DaliaJesse » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:06 am

There is no concept that breastfeeding while pregnant leads to miscarriage. You should be healthy enough, should take proper care and precautions to have a healthy pregnancy even while breastfeeding , ask your caregiver to guide you.
DaliaJesse
Friend

Return to Breastfeeding