weaning

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

weaning

Postby jessm » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:30 am

I think we need to wean soon. I don't feel completely ready and I know my little guy isn't, but I also don't want to tandem nurse. I know some people do it and that's great for them, but I don't think it's for me. I've been hoping he'll wean on his own, but my supply seems to have stayed fine. He's gotten ultra attached to it in the 2 weeks I was home with him when I had some time off work. IDK, I really have no idea how to go about this. Any thoughts?
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Re: weaning

Postby litmajor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:38 pm

The don't offer, don't refuse thing worked for me. That's when I kind of realized that I was initiating most nursing sessions, not DD. Might be harder if he's demanding it. As for your supply, I don't think anything really started to change much until second tri, that I noticed anyway. What I did notice as we got closer to the end is that she and I both felt more and more impatient with nursing sessions- then we'd drop another, and be fine. Then it would start again, etc.

Does he have set nursing sessions? If so, you could try to knock those out one by one. Slowly though, they aren't kidding! Woke up with terribly sore nips one morning after I tried to drop a feed too quickly. I tried to massage it as DD happened to sleep in that morning and think I bruised one instead :(

Good luck!
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:53 am

Yes, he nurses in the morning, before bed and on the weekends before nap. My current plan is to drop the morning nap this weekend. I told him today "This is the last morning nurt, tomorrow no nurt" and he whispered "okay". Break my heart why dontcha? I don't think I have much of a supply left any more to be honest.
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby mrsg2008 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:30 pm

I have no advice, but I wanted to wish you luck! You have done an awesome job nursing for 2 years! :)

I am not looking forward to weaning. DD is about 17 months, and she always asks for "moey"...she eats like a horse on top of constant nursing. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Me & DH: 32
Married since 10/11/08
DD Lorelai Raye born 8/14/12
mrsg2008
Addicted
Addicted

Postby jessm » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:01 am

It's going okay so far. We cut out the morning nurse this weekend. Saturday morning he was really upset (DH got up with him and I slept in) and then Sunday he didn't even ask for it. He asked for it this morning and I gave him warm milk with a little ovaltine in a disposable coffee cup (with a lid). He thought he was big man on campus and kept telling me "hot" and "my cocoa. my cocoa". Next weekend we tackle the nap time nurse.

mrsg- DS nursed quite a bit more at 17 months than he does now at 24. He naturally cut down to the morning, nap and bed (and only nap on the weekends). I think he probably would keep nursing until he was 3 if I let him though.
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Return to Breastfeeding