Breastfeeding while pregnant

A *supportive* forum for mommies who are breastfeeding :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, saraspi

Breastfeeding while pregnant

Postby ashand888 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Hi, I just found out that I'm expecting another baby and our 2 year old is still nursing. I've nurses several babies but this is the first time that I've been pregnant while still nursing. I've heard some people say that continuing to nurse increases the likelihood of miscarriage- is that true? So far our little guy doesn't seem to notice the milk tasting and differently and so far I'm not very sore so it's been fine! Thanks for any help!
Ashlee
Daughter- 14 years (joined us through adoption)
Daughter- 7 years
Son- 5 years
Son- 5 years (joined us through adoption)
Son- 2 years
Due with baby #6 (another boy) in August!
ashand888
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Breastfeeding while pregnant

Postby Eren » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:57 am

My eldest was only four months when I fell pregnant with my second and I managed to continue nursing her exclusively until seven months, but unfortunately my milk supply dropped (probably because I lost quite a bit of weight from the morning sickness) and I had to supplement as she was still under a year. I managed to keep giving her my milk until I was about 7 months along and then after the birth I pumped for three months and gave her a full bottle a day for three months.

This time I am still nursing my four year old (ahem, lol) once a day before bed, but it's already starting to get uncomfortable. (Nursing was quite painful during pregnancy for me last time). I don't mind if she weans now, given her age. We'll see what happens....
me 37 dh 40
dd, 6
dd, 5

:angel: #4 9w1d "Akari" (light) Dec 2014
:angel: #6 15w4d "Melanie" Dec 2015
Eren
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ashand888 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:01 am

Hmm, good to know. So far it's not painful but I've read somewhere that nursing during pregnancy can lead to a higher rate of miscarriage? At the same time, doesn't make sense that my body would fall pregnant if I weren't supposed to be pregnant and nursing. For now, I'll keep nursing him and see how it goes. He's over 2 so I'm also not going to be terribly upset if he weans himself!
Ashlee
Daughter- 14 years (joined us through adoption)
Daughter- 7 years
Son- 5 years
Son- 5 years (joined us through adoption)
Son- 2 years
Due with baby #6 (another boy) in August!
ashand888
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Eren » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:36 am

I know lots of people who have nursed throughout pregnancy and tandem nursed afterwards. :)
me 37 dh 40
dd, 6
dd, 5

:angel: #4 9w1d "Akari" (light) Dec 2014
:angel: #6 15w4d "Melanie" Dec 2015
Eren
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby DaliaJesse » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:43 am

Make sure you get all the inputs and take necessary precautions then you will have a healthy pregnancy even while breastfeeding . If you are healthy enough then you can nurse both the babies after the second childbirth. Ask your gynecologist to guide you!!
DaliaJesse
Friend

Return to Breastfeeding