Should we allow talents in the b/s/t sticky?

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Yes, I think it should be allowed.
69%
No, I don't think it should be allowed.
31%

Total votes : 29

Postby Kelly13 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Several people have put up their talents for their 'IHA' in the b/s/t sticky, and I've gotten a few PMs about whether or not we should allow this.

I've talked with a few other people, and honestly, I'm not sure. To me, this is almost like advertising a business. I could list that IHA t-shirts, and that I could trade for them, and that doesn't seem right. On the other hand, I think I wouldn't mind trading something to get longies, or doubles, or embellished items ;)

I exchanged a good PM with someone about this and instead of trying to duplicate her post, I'll just post what she said, as it makes a lot of sense and sums up my point exactly ;) Hope they don't mind :D

What I like about the idea:
- we're all kinda like a family, and it's nice to swap out our talents in exchange for other things
- it would give those who are unable to purchase expensive woolies and who can't knit/sew a chance to own these things without paying a lot
- it gives the sewer/knitter a chance to get feedback on their work, and some good practice

I'm inclined to think it would work best as a trade system - if you have a diaper I want, I'll knit you a soaker in exchange for it. That way there is less $ involved, and the two can simply exchange back if they're not happy. The problem is it's soooo subjective and it could lead to an imbalance in the products being traded.

Example: What if Sewer A sews a diaper in exchange for something Trader B wants. Sewer A finishes it, posts it for Trader B to see, but Trader B isn't happy with it. Now Sewer A has put work into something (time, materials and effort) that Trader B doesn't think is worth what she's trading.
Same goes with just straight cash for the product. If Trader B doesn't like the final result, and doesn't want to go through with the trade, then there will be bad feelings.

I guess it could work if the sewer/knitter does the work FIRST, then offers it up if anyone wants it? But then it's like having their own HC right on TWW, which I think everyone agreed was not fair.

So, the question is, are we going to allow this is the b/s/t thread? Are people allowed to list things they've made or things they will make for the interested party?

We'll work the details out based on the answer.

Thanks for the input.

Oh, and no one should feel like they are being called out. It's just hard to bring this up without it seeming like that, you know?

And, please don't list your HC/Esty in your post. Any links like that will be deleted.

Everyone who will be participating, please vote! You don't have to respond if you don't want to!
Kelly13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby **Tasha** » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:17 pm

:bump:
ImageImage
Mommy to:
Kaiden: 06/22/07
Elizabeth: 08/19/2008

**Tasha**
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dontletstart » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:19 pm

What if it isn't explicit? As in, from various threads in this forum it is pretty easy to know who makes or sells items and so it could be part of the trade negotiation that happens in the PMs without it being stated in the IHA?

Not that I personally could do it anyway, you all have seen I have lots of wool to keep me busy in whatever free time I can find :wink:
Cindy (33) & Brian (35 - SAHD)
Donovan 11.17.06 ~ 7lbs0oz :hb: Everett 10.26.08 ~ 7lbs7oz

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper and eat vegetarian and organic

Image Image
dontletstart
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby **Tasha** » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:23 pm

yea, im pretty sure she is just talking about listing it in the "IHA" section.
ImageImage
Mommy to:

**Tasha**
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LSUspingirl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:23 pm

i'm inclined to think that's just a chance you take, that you may not be happy with the merchandise you get. that's under ANY circumstances, though. as far as the amount of time and materials spent...i do see how that's a problem.

that having been said, i'd ABSOLUTELY trade talents for items! mind you, i'm not particularly talented...but there are a lot of newly preggo girls here and i have a growing newborn who wears cloth...... :wink:
LSUspingirl
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kelly13 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:23 pm

dontletstart wrote:What if it isn't explicit? As in, from various threads in this forum it is pretty easy to know who makes or sells items and so it could be part of the trade negotiation that happens in the PMs without it being stated in the IHA?

Anything that goes on in PMs can't be monitored ;)
Kelly13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HeatherJ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 pm

I voted yes, because I have no problem with it, and I think it makes sense to leave these kinds of dealings up to individuals. If two ladies are both comfortable agreeing ahead of time on the terms of their deal (i.e. what type of material is to be used, dimensions, price, when money is to be sent, etc), why would others have a problem with it? The potential buyer and seller are the ones assuming the risk, and if they are comfortable with their deal, I'm not sure what the problem would be. :?:

There are ways to minimize risk, too. Like a knitter could request a deposit up front, with the remainder to be paid upon completion. Likewise a buyer could request to see samples of the knitter's work before agreeing to anything. And I guess I would just assume that since this is such a cool community, most of us would act in good faith. :)
Me - 27
DH - 30
Breastfeeding, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing SAHM to my beautiful (intact!) baby boy.
HeatherJ
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:28 pm

who takes the chance? the person who spends the time making something that the other person then decides they aren't happy with, or the person who then has to trade/buy something they aren't satisfied with?
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsLewis907 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:32 pm

I voted yes for the same pros, pretty much, that the quoted message you showed said. I think that as long as it is diaper related, or at least "fluffy-ish" (ie mama cloth or unpaper towels, things along those lines...though I understand too, if others think that THOSE should not be included), that it should be allowed to at least IHA that, if THEY are comfortable to do so.
Ashli 32, DH Patrick 33
Twins - DD1 Hannah & DS1 Evann - 7, DD2 Lily - 5, DD3 Abigail - 5
BFP - Mar 20, 2015 / Miscarried - March 26, 2015
Baby #5 - Shelby Nicole, born April 13, 2016, 6lb5oz, 19in
MrsLewis907
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dontletstart » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Oh, and I voted yes too - but I can understand how some might not like it and so that's why I posted my response.

I've done a few trades like that in the past and they've all worked out well that I know of :D
Cindy (33) & Brian (35 - SAHD)
Donovan 11.17.06 ~ 7lbs0oz :hb: Everett 10.26.08 ~ 7lbs7oz

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper and eat vegetarian and organic

Image Image
dontletstart
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HeatherJ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:35 pm

blue-eden wrote:who takes the chance? the person who spends the time making something that the other person then decides they aren't happy with, or the person who then has to trade/buy something they aren't satisfied with?

Well, there would be risk involved on either end. But maybe it should just be up to individuals to negotiate whether they'll allow "returns" or whether it'll be a "final sale." Perhaps the knitter/seller would be be willing to offer a discount if it's a final sale. :wink:

Personally, I would not have a problem buying a custom-made product from someone who had a good reputation on TWW, if I had seen her work. It's a risk I'd be willing to take for a custom product that I really wanted. :)
Me - 27
DH - 30
Breastfeeding, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing SAHM to my beautiful (intact!) baby boy.
HeatherJ
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby dixiechicken » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:37 pm

I'm all for bartering! We live on a very close knit street where everyone seems to have something they specialize in. So, that's how we get a lot of things done around here. DH will help landscape someone's yard--what he used to do--and they'll help us fix a plumbing problem and so forth! I think it's a wonderful way to get the things you need/want!
Jennifer(35) Curtis(34) Wade--5/22/07
"officially" diagnosed with CP 4/22/08
ImageImageImage
dixiechicken
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:39 pm

Heather9801 wrote:I voted yes, because I have no problem with it, and I think it makes sense to leave these kinds of dealings up to individuals. If two ladies are both comfortable agreeing ahead of time on the terms of their deal (i.e. what type of material is to be used, dimensions, price, when money is to be sent, etc), why would others have a problem with it? The potential buyer and seller are the ones assuming the risk, and if they are comfortable with their deal, I'm not sure what the problem would be. :?:

I don't think the problem is that OTHERS would have a problem with it, the dealings are up to JUST the two involved, as it's just done between PMs, not involving TWW or Elle at all.

I think it's good to discuss this stuff as a group first, in case these problems come up later and maybe cause rifts. Mods and Elle won't moderate disputes, so it's best to get it all out in the open beforehand. ;)
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby **Tasha** » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:40 pm

I personally voted no.

My reasoning is because I see this Buy/Sell/Trade as friends swapping diapers and such that they have bought and havent personally liked or have out grown.

I personally dont really know why I dont want it this way. :dunno: I guess its just not the way I saw envisioned it.

Now, I have no problem with say Bookish (sorry to use you... but your just the first person that popped in my head) being interested in Kelly's diaper, and then Kelly saying "well, Ill trade you *this and This* if you will make Jason a pair of shorties."

Ya know?

:oops: Maybe Im just hormonal?

Edited to clarify: I'm ok with my above situation beacuse Kelly sought out Bookish for her goods there fore Kelly puts all the risk on her shoulders.

Cause when you buy/sell/trade things that are already made by someone else, then there is no hard feelings if say, Kelly's shorties come with one leg shorter than the other or some odd thing.
Last edited by **Tasha** on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Mommy to:

**Tasha**
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kelly13 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Actually, Tasha, I'd like it better if she made a pair for Jason :rofl:
Kelly13
Girlfriend
Girlfriend