Getting confused about laundering

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Getting confused about laundering

Postby rleash » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 am

I'm still new to this, and the more I read about laundering my diapers, the more confused I get.

Since I'm just starting out, I have several different kinds I'm using. Chinese prefolds, Unbleached Indian prefolds, Kissa's fitteds, BumGenius OS, BG AIO, and a Thirsties Duo Diaper.

My current wash routine is rinsing once in cold water (no detergent) then washing in hot water with detergent.

But I just bought some Babykicks prefolds and inserts, and they recommend using detergent for both the cold rinse and hot wash, and also adding baking soda to the hot wash. But I've also read BG says absolutely no baking soda for their diapers. So am I going to have to keep my BG diapers separate? Do I need to wash the hemp diapers separate? Do I really need to use baking soda with them every time? And how often should I use vinegar?
Noah Jacob
Born Aug 16, 2008, 2:34am, 8lb 9oz, 20in

Levi Anton
Born Feb 23, 2011, 11:28am, 8lb 8oz, 20.25in

ImageImageImage
rleash
Angel
Angel

Postby RadioKitten » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:49 am

Rhonda!! :D

I do a cold wash -no detergent and then a hot wash with detergent (I use BioKleen powder) and then an extra cold rinse. If my dipes start to get smelly (still a faint whiff of ammonia after washing) I do a cold rinse and then a hot soak overnight with Rockin Green detergent followed by a regular wash cycle, no detergent. I have never used baking soda or vinegar.

GL!!
RadioKitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cneal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:37 pm

RadioKitten wrote:Rhonda!! :D

I do a cold wash -no detergent and then a hot wash with detergent (I use BioKleen powder) and then an extra cold rinse. If my dipes start to get smelly (still a faint whiff of ammonia after washing) I do a cold rinse and then a hot soak overnight with Rockin Green detergent followed by a regular wash cycle, no detergent. I have never used baking soda or vinegar.

GL!!

RadioKitten & my wash cycles are almost identical!! I used to use BioKleen, now I just use Rockin Green or Nellies. I rarely if ever put detergent with the cold cycle, only the hot. Be careful using vinegar, as it can void the warranty of some diapers by breaking down the elastic. Vinegar is just used as a softener most times, you could use dryer balls instead (I think I am about to give that a try myself!)
Me 36, DH 34, DD 5, DS born 9/29/10
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby RadioKitten » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:45 pm

i do use dryer balls...seems to help...
RadioKitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rleash » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks! That makes things much simpler!

Another question.. is it ok to throw the pocket diapers, AIOs and covers in the dryer, or do they need to be hang dried? What do you girls do?
Noah Jacob
Born Aug 16, 2008, 2:34am, 8lb 9oz, 20in

Levi Anton
Born Feb 23, 2011, 11:28am, 8lb 8oz, 20.25in

ImageImageImage
rleash
Angel
Angel

Postby RadioKitten » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:33 pm

I hang anything with velcro. If it has snaps, I dry it.
RadioKitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KatieJo3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 pm

I wouldn't worry about the baking soda or vinegar ATM if you aren't having detergent buildup. That can make things more complicated IMO. When we were CDing here was my wash routine:

Cold rinse, no detergent
Hot wash cycle, with detergent
Cold rinse, no detergent

Sometimes I'd do an extra cold rinse at the end if I could still see suds (meant I put in too much soap :oops: )

If I suspected stinkies I would occasionally change up that first rinse to a hot rinse and throw in a splash of NC bleach.

And yeah, any of our PUL dipes (like the outer shells of the BG's) you will want to hang to dry. They don't hold up as well if dried all the time. And they dry pretty quick.
KatieJo3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering