Two Week Wait

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)
Post a reply

dying prefolds..

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:41 am

Have any of you dyed prefolds? I have many that I'd love to dye.

what type of dye?
Does the dye fade over time?
Does the dye increase chances of rash etc?
Does it take away the value of the diaper resale?

I've seen some really pretty prefolds..just curious..thanks!

ETA.. just found this link

http://myenchanteddandelions.blogspot.c ... folds.html

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:22 am

I have! Super fun!

I used pro dye from www.dharmatrading.com
It doesn't fade much, but of course all dyes fade over time. Cheap dye from Wal-fart will fade much quicker.
I don't believe it increases chance of rashes anymore than if your kid wears underwear dyed different colours from the store. :dunno: But if your kid is extra sensitive, then maybe.

I don't care about diaper resale value, so I had fun with it and did low water immersion dyeing, tie dyeing, and solid colours. They came out really pretty!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 am

I have tie-dying supplies from dharma trading, too. Me & DH do a big batch of tie-dyes for summer every year. I thought about dying my prefolds but was afraid to. Now I might try :D

My shirts from 2 years ago still look great and haven't faded nearly at all. It's really the best dye.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:29 pm

Wow....that looks easy enough! I may have to try some myself!!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 am

I hear to use a professional dye, like the dharma...not RIT. RIT supposedly will come off on other things (skin, fabric, etc), and will definitely fade out.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:46 am

Interesting. I guess I don't see the point, though! I am too practical, I suppose--as long as they're doing they're job, why bother? :P

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:34 am

BeccaM wrote:Interesting. I guess I don't see the point, though! I am too practical, I suppose--as long as they're doing they're job, why bother? :P

I was kind of wondering the same thing? Don't prefolds get covered with a cover anyway so you won't see them? Or does dyeing it make it so you can't see any stains?

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Colors are just more fun for me.. I had a whole stash of diapers that i made, they were fittededs, and HAD to be under a cover and wouldn't be seen but i still picked and choose all the fabric.. Cute or colored are just more fun for some people.

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Sisrea wrote:Colors are just more fun for me.. I had a whole stash of diapers that i made, they were fittededs, and HAD to be under a cover and wouldn't be seen but i still picked and choose all the fabric.. Cute or colored are just more fun for some people.

I agree on the fun colors! I was just asking to see if maybe I was missing something important, like dyeing them made them more absorbent, or hid stains better or something! I'm still learning :)

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:28 pm

I'm not always much of an artist! If it does the job, why change it? Boring and practical me :lol:.
Post a reply
IsoFresh
PregEase
Milkies Milksaver
PeaPodPrenatal
Milkies Milk Trays
DreamBelly Butter
Nursing Blend