Cloth WIPES washing question

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Cloth WIPES washing question

Postby flygirl44 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:09 am

We were debating about using cloth wipes vs disposable wipes and decided to do the cloth wipes along with our cloth diapers. :) We thought the dispobables might be easier and more convenient, but then I realized that you would have to separate to throw out etc and realized that it's probably easier to do cloth (and all around better)

I just have a few questions about cloth wipes. We have bought about 45 of them so far. Is this a good amount since I will be doing laundry every 2 days anyway?

PREPPING- Do I need to prep these like my prefolds and inserts? I'm assuming that one wash should be fine to prep, but I don't know if you need to do more to make them more absorbent? I'm guessing the absorbency doesn't matter, as long as it wipes up the mess, right?

WASHING- Do you wash the wipes with your diapers? I am NOT planning on using bleach on the diapers, but I'm thinking that maybe you use bleach on the wipes to get them pretty again (since the poop is actually being wiped and pushed into them instead of just "sitting there" like on the diapers. If bleach is needed, I guess I will wash separately from the diapers?

WIPE WARMER- We registered for the Prince Lionheart wipe warmer. Any tips on making sure the wipes don't get mildewy etc. Also, can I just use water to moisten and put in the wipe warmer, or do I have to use a wipe solution?

Thanks ladies :)
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby RadioKitten » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:07 am

45 is more than enough. I washed my wipes (Quilter's nappies...the best!) once before using. I have the same wipe warmer and I have never had a prob with mildew. Sometimes we use plain water and sometimes make a solution with a squirt of baby wash and a couple drops of tea tree and lavendar oil in a basin of warm water.
RadioKitten
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MissyMia » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:07 am

45 is a good amount of wipes and should be plenty for 2-3 days. I grab a bunch in the morning and fill a wipes tube with a squirt of baby wash and warm water, and sqeeze out the excess water. I use those all day so only the first change is with warm wipes. I throw dirty diapers and dirty wipes together in the pail and wash together as well. They will get clean in the diaper wash.
DD1 - 2/12/08
DD2 - 10/7/10
DD3 - Due August 11th

MissyMia
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:09 am

You'll find that you use less cloth wipes than you would with disposables. I didn't prep mine because they aren't really absorbing anything, just wiping. I mostly made my own out of flannel and they worked great from the beginning. I keep a squirt bottle with just water in it and spray them before use. People say a wipes warmer is handy but we used disposable wipes that were cold and the spray bottle of cold water hasn't bothered her yet. I just throw them in the same laundry as the dirty diapes and everything gets washed together. Easy peasy. :)
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bwolfe » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:18 am

I love Quilters Nappies wipes too. Just ordered more :D

For bum wiping, I always buy dark colored ones so I never care if they get stains. But once in a while, I do run a bleach or vinegar load with all my inserts to freshen them up. They hang to dry in the sun in the warmer months so that gives them the cleansing they need too but yeah, I just wash them with my diapers.

Now that he's older with solid poops, I just have a container of water that I dip the wipes in, cuz I was getting stinky wipes leaving them damp. But for the newborn stage, I will probably be pre-wetting some each day cuz I know I'll be using a lot more.

I've never had a wipes warmer... but I wish I did this past winter up in the cold north.
Becky - 36
DH - 44
DS1 - Ethan - July 23/08
DS2 - Evan - May 19/11

bwolfe
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:50 am

Thanks ladies. All of this helps! It's so nice to ask moms that are experienced in cloth diapering.

The wipes we bought were Ragababe Organic Sherpa wipes. I checked diaperpin.com and these got 5 stars (like the Quilter's nappies) We got the unbleached kind so at least they are starting out a little "off white" :)
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby ttcintx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:36 pm

45 is plenty. I didn't bother to prep either, thinking they aren't really absorbing anything. I wash them with my CDs and haven't had any staining issues. We started with a wipes warmer but obviously did something wrong because it always seemed to be moldy. Now we just use a spray bottle of room temperature tap water to wet the cloth and it seems to work just fine.
Me: Louise – 40something
DH: David - older than Me!
Married 14 years
DD: 10/07
DS: 9/09

He's here!! DS2: 6lbs15oz born 10/22/11
ttcintx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cneal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:43 pm

RadioKitten wrote:45 is more than enough. I washed my wipes (Quilter's nappies...the best!) once before using. I have the same wipe warmer and I have never had a prob with mildew. Sometimes we use plain water and sometimes make a solution with a squirt of baby wash and a couple drops of tea tree and lavendar oil in a basin of warm water.

ditto this!!! I wash them with my diapers & all is just fine! Also, I make my solution of water, 5-6 drops of tea tree oil, a squirt of dr bronners lavender magic soap & thats it. I also have the prince lionhart warmer & have never had an issue with mildew. I use a very random variety of nice wipes & old baby rags for wet wipes. Also, no stain issues ever with regular washings.
Me 36, DH 34, DD 5, DS born 9/29/10
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby j_libs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:55 pm

I have the prince lionheart wipes warmer. i use a wipe solution - 2.5 cups of hot water, 1 tbsp coconut oil and 1 tbsp natural baby wash. i mix it all up then i get a big bowl and pour it over the wipes (20 of them) and make sure they're all saturated. then i just lay them flat in the warmer and this lasts 2-3 days. the wipes warmer comes with one pad that goes in the bottom - you'll have to replace it every 2 -3 months so it couldn't hurt to register for a pack of extra pads (i forget what they're called exactly - anti-microbial pillows or something like that). make sure you soak it good every time you replace the wipes.

i think i have 4 dozen wipes and that's just enough for me. but i like a stack of dry ones on hand at the changing table to catch errant pees (always an issue with a boy lol) and to wipe up spit up which happens often on the table from being jostled around.

i prepped mine with my diapers but it's probably not necessary.
ImageImage
j_libs
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rleash » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:04 pm

I found that the pillow that came with my warmer started to stink (you know, the old wet washrag smell) and I couldn't get it to go away, so I stopped using it. I think it's mostly for disposable wipes that need to be kept moist for weeks.

Also, you don't want to fully stuff your warmer with wipes. They'll start to get stinky. I fill mine with just enough to get me through 2 days, when I do laundry again (about 15 wipes). And if you use the diaper to wipe off most of the poop, you can easily get away with 1 wipe/diaper change.
Noah Jacob
Born Aug 16, 2008, 2:34am, 8lb 9oz, 20in

Levi Anton
Born Feb 23, 2011, 11:28am, 8lb 8oz, 20.25in

ImageImageImage
rleash
Angel
Angel

Postby rachelrhin0 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:35 pm

I have the same warmer and it quit getting warm after about 2 months. I still use it though just stays cold now. If you are using your wipes within 2 days you won't have mildew issues! Make sure to wash and dry your warmer before refilling it each time to keep it as clean as possible. If you don't dry it between refills it CAN get mildew.

You can wash your wipes with your diapers and they don't need any bleach.
Rachel (30) Wife to Ryan (34)
Carly (11/15/07-3/9/08 ) Hannah (stillborn 32 weeks 11/7/08 ) Noah (35 weeks 6/30/10)
Due in Fall 2012 Facebook Group

Follow me on YouTube!
rachelrhin0
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Cloth Diapering