If you were to acquire diapers from someone..

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

If you were to acquire diapers from someone..

Postby Nikkeh » Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 pm

If you were to acquire diapers from someone who had major stink issues, what would you do?

I'm just about to throw in the towel. I took a long break due to pregnancy and pulled them back out. They stink. You can smell the wet bag as soon as you walk upstairs. It is god awful. Smells like a really dirty hamster cage.

Here is my routine with an HE machine and soft water:
Cold/cold extra water no detergent
Hot/cold extra water 1T Rockin green
Rinse and spin extra water

I used to use 2T (for the first 2 months) but Rockin green told me I was using too much and that's why they stank.

Here's what I've done:
Stripped with nothing, smell comes back
Stripped with dawn, smell comes back
Vinegar soak, smell doesn't leave
Baking soda soak, same
Bleach in cycle once a month, they smell good for 2 weeks then stink again
Funk Rock soak...did nothing

I am wondering if I just have bad luck with RnG. Should I try Tide original? Or how about Charlie's? And if I switch detergents, what stripping method should I go about first? I hate dawn stripping because I always worry we are going to ruin our machines.

Help, please, or I am quitting. And I don't want to. I love cloth diapering!

Nikkeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ~*~Amanda~*~ » Wed May 04, 2011 10:28 pm

I hate rng!! I bleached the inserts and switched to bumgenious... problem solved!
Image still happily RF at 25 lbs, 35 inches and almost 2 years old!

DS & DSD (9)

click WWW to add me on facebook! just be sure to tell me who you are :-)
~*~Amanda~*~
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ttcintx » Thu May 05, 2011 5:01 am

Wow, you have tried a ton of things!!

I am not sure what to suggest, but switching detergent might be worth a try.
Me: Louise – 40something
DH: David - older than Me!
Married 14 years
DD: 10/07
DS: 9/09

He's here!! DS2: 6lbs15oz born 10/22/11
ttcintx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MrsLewis907 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:49 am

Wow...yeah. I'd do a strip, and switch detergents at this point. I use country save and have never had stink issues (when I did, when the twins first started solids, I upped my detergent, and no issues since!).

GOOD LUCK.
Ashli 32, DH Patrick 33
Twins - DD1 Hannah & DS1 Evann - 7, DD2 Lily - 5, DD3 Abigail - 5
BFP - Mar 20, 2015 / Miscarried - March 26, 2015
Baby #5 - Shelby Nicole, born April 13, 2016, 6lb5oz, 19in
MrsLewis907
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkeh » Thu May 05, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm thinking of trying bac out. Anyone use it before?

Nikkeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Thu May 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Have you tried oxyclean? I add a little every few loads for an extra boost.
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sisrea » Fri May 06, 2011 6:18 am

justsupermom wrote:I'm thinking of trying bac out. Anyone use it before?

I have not tried it before but the thing you need to be mindful of it is that it needs to be rinsed out alot or it can give rashes and for some kiddos it can give rashes anyway. Just rinse rinse rinse until all the bubbles are gone. This is coming from a few other who have used it before. It either works for ya or it doesn't

Also I know another momma who had similar issues and did alot of the same things that you tried and she had awesome success with maggies soap nuts. They finally got rid of the stink for her.
http://www.clothandcarry.com/item_106/M ... p-Nuts.htm
Me- 29
DH-30
MC'd 11/06; 06/07; and 10/07
DD 1&2 Born 1/26/09
Check out my WAHM store burp rags and bibs in very fun prints, like Star Wars and Mustaches!! I also do custom work! Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BittiBottomDesigns

ImageImage

Sisrea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bwolfe » Fri May 06, 2011 8:01 am

I had stink issues return over & over until I switched to Tide Powder. Never a stink issue again.
Becky - 36
DH - 44
DS1 - Ethan - July 23/08
DS2 - Evan - May 19/11

bwolfe
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Fri May 06, 2011 8:54 am

At this point I'm going to say that new diapers might be cheaper than your laundry bill trying to clean these!!! Wow!!!
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KimmyH » Fri May 06, 2011 10:12 am

I wetpail poopies and overnight diapers with a squirt of BacOut and that has done wonders for my stains and stinkies! I always have to add 1-2T of Oxyclean with my RnG to keep from getting stinkies eventually. If I were you I would do a bleach cycle, then a mini-strip, then try adding Oxyclean to your wash routine. BacOut is an enzyme, so if you are going to use it on your dipes you need to soak them in it to allow time for the enzyme to eat all the biological material, but it is good stuff!
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Manynums on here (who owns www.clothandcarry.com) says that stink issues are b/c of bacteria. Bac-out with lots of rinses or use non-chlorinated bleached to kill the bacteria.

Hope she doesn't mind that I basically quoted her!
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkeh » Fri May 06, 2011 3:14 pm

So here is what I did:

1 cup of bac out per 4 gallons of water (their website said 1/4 per gallon I needed more to cover) soaked all my inserts overnight, and soaked my organic AIOs for about 3 hours then the moderator of diapershops.com fb page said not to soak and PUL or elastic.
So I took out the organics, and ran a long cycle with a prewash, planet detergent on hot, extra water. Then ran 1 extra rinse cycle. They still smell a little like lime though so I'm washing them again as soon as my inserts are done

This morning I took all the inserts out of the soak, and ran a long hot cycle with nothing added. When I got home from work they smelled like limes still. So I ran a sanitary cycle with nothing. Still faint lime smell. So now I am running another sanitary cycle, this time with planet. After they are done I'll do an extra rinse cycle and then dry and give them a try!

I can't wait to tell you if it worked or not! I've about had it! I keep telling my friends that I doubt other people's diapers smell like this because nobody would cloth diaper then!

But what I am really not understanding is...with RNG you're only supposed to use like 1-2T, with planet it is like half a cup! Maybe my issue was the detergent all along. Sigh...

Nikkeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Fri May 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Bac out solved my stinky issue, but you need to rinse and rinse and rinse to get all the lime smell out or you risk rashes. It does work though.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cneal » Mon May 09, 2011 2:16 pm

It really sounds like you are on the right track to getting rid of the problem. keep rinsing to make sure all the bac-out is out before using then you should be fine.

I have semi soft water & found that the more "stuff" I used to try & solve problems created more problems. Sounds like the same is happening to you (or happened to your friend that you acquired the dipes from - they had residue build up or bacteria - BAD).

I found that what works for me is to do a little different storage method with my diapers (this method also means we NEVER smell ammonia in our house anymore :) ).
We keep a wet bag in the laundry room with all our used covers & anything with PUL in it, then we also keep a rubbermaid container on top of the washer that I fill 2/3 way full with fairly hot water & 1 tsp (tiny amount) RnG. I keep my prefolds, microfiber, hemp liners etc in there with the lid on. Gives them a good gentle presoak & keeps the stink out of my house. When its time to wash, I dump the water out, then dump everything in the washer & do 1 cold wash, 1 hot wash with RnG detergent extra rinse. I havent had any more problems.
I've been doing this for about 3 months & before I was stripping diapers each month & using funk rock occasionally. I havent stripped once since I started using this method & havent used any more funk rock.

This may not work for everyone, but I will definitely keep doing it that way from now on! Works for me & I dare anyone to go in my laundry room & even try to smell diapers. Plus, I'm not fighting them anymore to keep smell away.
Me 36, DH 34, DD 5, DS born 9/29/10
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby Nikkeh » Tue May 10, 2011 5:05 am

I should explain the title to this post...I have had them since new and feel like I've always had problems (especially with the hemp inserts) I was just wondering how someone else would fix these if I gave up.

So my microfiber has never really been too bad but unfortunately can't be my overnight solution so I use hemp. Wow what a kick in the face with ammonia this morning. I'm so surprised. I thought for sure the bac out would take care of things. I have officially lost faith. I think my final chance is just going to be to use bleach 1x a month. I will have non stinky diapers for 2 works and then suffer the next 2 weeks until bleach time again.
I know you aren't supposed to use it on hemp but nothing else works?!

Nikkeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Cloth Diapering