If you were to acquire diapers from someone..

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby KimmyH » Tue May 10, 2011 8:53 am

justsupermom wrote:I should explain the title to this post...I have had them since new and feel like I've always had problems (especially with the hemp inserts) I was just wondering how someone else would fix these if I gave up.

So my microfiber has never really been too bad but unfortunately can't be my overnight solution so I use hemp. Wow what a kick in the face with ammonia this morning. I'm so surprised. I thought for sure the bac out would take care of things. I have officially lost faith. I think my final chance is just going to be to use bleach 1x a month. I will have non stinky diapers for 2 works and then suffer the next 2 weeks until bleach time again.
I know you aren't supposed to use it on hemp but nothing else works?!

If it is stink, quit or bleach, I say bleach. There is nothing wrong with occasional bleaching! Use it whenever you need to and don't worry about it! Just make sure it is rinsed enough. Also, try the wetpailing with BacOut since you already have some. Since BacOut is an enzyme, it works better the longer it is in contact with the dipes. IMO, go ahead and add a TBSP of prophylactic bleach to every load if that is what it takes. It is not the best for the life span of your dipes, but it will not hurt a thing.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cneal » Tue May 10, 2011 12:40 pm

KimmyH wrote:If it is stink, quit or bleach, I say bleach. There is nothing wrong with occasional bleaching! Use it whenever you need to and don't worry about it! Just make sure it is rinsed enough. Also, try the wetpailing with BacOut since you already have some. Since BacOut is an enzyme, it works better the longer it is in contact with the dipes. IMO, go ahead and add a TBSP of prophylactic bleach to every load if that is what it takes. It is not the best for the life span of your dipes, but it will not hurt a thing.

What she said!

I have a question, though. You said you were surprised by the ammonia smell this morning in your LOs overnight diaper. Are you expecting that the diaper not smell like ammonia when they wake up in the morning & it has been peed in all night? Unfortunately, the first thing in the morning diaper is gonna reek. But, if you do use the wet pail method for your inserts (and I use hemp too) then you wont have to smell it in your laundry room for the rest of the day.
Me 36, DH 34, DD 5, DS born 9/29/10
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby Nikkeh » Tue May 10, 2011 1:00 pm

When we first started using hemp overnight there was no ammonia smell, plus from what I hear ammonia is a reaction between urine and bacteria or urine and detergent buildup. Apparently some people dont have ammonia smells from their overnight dipes! And really, disposable diapers dont smell like ammonia in the morning either so something doesn't add up...

Nikkeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby angelhorn26 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:10 pm

I use a lot more RnG than recommended -- if I used the recommended amount, my dipes would stink all the time. But, I feel like I wash a lot more than a "normal load" at one time (I am just assuming that a normal load would be 10 dipes, I wash at least 20 at a time, because I'm lazy -- haha), so that's the reason for that.

My SIL uses All Small and Mighty Free and Clear in their HE front-loader, and they don't have any issues with it.

Good luck!
Angie
DS1 - Ryan, born 5/13/09
DS2 - Max, born 12/20/11
angelhorn26
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mommyofgirls » Tue May 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Planet after a couple months gave me terrible stink issues. Def switch detergents. What I had to do was throw away the planet detergent then several loads of blue dawn, then a vinegar load, then a load with a little bleach. The smell did come out. I also did this as soon as smell was detected.
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Nikkeh » Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 am

It's not the planet, I just bought that as an alternative to horrible Rockin green I also bought Charlie's.

Nikkeh
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cneal » Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 pm

The best way I found to strip the hemp, because I also refuse to put dawn in my washing machine, is to just do a pot of boiling water with dawn. Boil the hemp inserts for about 5-10 minutes, rinse well, then run about 2 cycles on hot in the washing machine. That has worked great & has been a really easy way to strip for me. Just dont put anything with PUL in boiling water, youll ruin it.

Also, I have to use a little more RnG than suggested for normal. I have an HE, and instead of 1TBSP, I use 1 1/2.
Me 36, DH 34, DD 5, DS born 9/29/10
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby stuckunderhere » Sun May 22, 2011 5:37 am

I use 3Tbsp RnG in my TL machine. It works perfectly. I think its just an issue of not cleaning enough with the amounts suggested. Increase a little and see what happens.
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sugarpalmer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:26 am

Just thought I would resurrect this old post.

I HATED RnG. I know lots of people swear by it. It did not work for me. When I first started cd's the lady I got them from gave me a container of some kind of liquid diaper detergent. I had no trouble with it, but needed to purchase some other detergent before I ran out. Everyone told me to try RnG. Within a couple loads I had horrible stink issues. I had switched dipes at the same time. I started with baby kangas with hemp inserts and switched to fuzzibunz with microfibre. I thought that was my problem. RnG customer service (really good to deal with) said my detergent was part of the recall and sent me some new stuff. It didn't fix it. Then they sent me a new formula (from hard rock to classic) and some of the funk stuff. Didn't help. I finally decided to switch detergent. I did a really good strip and a bleach to get rid of everything. I just used purex (the scent free stuff) and had no more trouble.

As far as the ammonia in the morning dipe... it's one thing to be able to smell a little ammonia/urine in the morning, but when it's burning your nose and eyes to take the diaper off and giving the baby a rash, it is not right!

I say switch detergent. My biggest issue with switching detergent is that I have a fl'er and I can't get rid of all the suds with anything buy RnG. I finally decided (when I chose to switch detergent) to quit watching my machine. I wash, do an extra rinse, and call it good. If I have to strip them every month or two, meh. At least they don't stink.

Good luck hun. I feel your frusteration. I was there, and really thinking I was going to have to quit cding.
sugarpalmer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommyofAlex » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Maggie's Soap Nuts. Plain and simple. The only thing that has gotten rid of my stinkies for good. :) And I've tried everything out there, including bac-out. Tried every imaginable wash routine. Changed detergents several times. I got tired of stripping my dipes every time I turned around. I got tired of being practically bowled over from the smell of ammonia.

Then I tried Maggies. It saved my sanity. :lol: Not to mention saved my diapers. :)

www.clothandcarry.com sells a small sample pack of them. :) that way, if you don't like them, you're not out a lot of $$.
Me: (Carolyn) 44
DH: 40
DS (Alex): 7
DD (Olivia): 4
1 Baby angel 2/2011 --Missed m/c found at 9w3d, baby stopped growing at 6w0d, natural m/c started 10w3d, D&C 12w1d
MommyofAlex
Angel
Angel

Previous

Return to Cloth Diapering