Got a free HE washer/dryer and now I'm confused!?!

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Got a free HE washer/dryer and now I'm confused!?!

Postby flygirl44 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:23 am

I was lucky enough to be in the audience of Ellen Degeneres' Mother's Day Special that aired last week. One of our prizes was a new Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer. (it's a top loader)

The washer I have now is also a top loading washer, but NOT a HE washer. I haven't started cloth diapering yet (due in Aug) but I already had a plan of how I was going to prep them and then wash them after DD was born.

Now I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing?

Does anyone have this washing machine? If so, what are the best settings to set it to to clean diapers properly?

I'm worried because I know HE washing machines don't use as much water as "normal" top loaders and I know that you should use a full amount of water regardless of load. I don't even know if I will have that option with a HE machine?

Thanks ladies :)
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby ivycrystals » Tue May 10, 2011 6:27 pm

You'll want to use the extra water setting if there is one. You can also try doing a google search for cloth diapers and your specific model.

The only other thing is that you don't need as much detergent.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:22 am

Thanks. Not sure if there is an extra water setting, I'm going to have to go to the store and check out all the knobs and buttons.

I did a google search last night and I'm getting so many conflicting things. I did learn a few "tricks" on how to get more water in the barrel (like setting it on "sheets" or adding a wet towel to the load for extra weight)

Don't get me wrong, I'm EXTREMELY grateful for this prize, it's just hard when you do research on how to wash cloth diapers and feel like you "have it down" and now I feel like I have to start over and I'm nervous because all I'm hearing about HE washers is that they are NOT good for cloth diapers, don't get them clean etc. This makes me nervous. :?

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby cneal » Thu May 12, 2011 12:54 pm

You wont have any problem with that washer. With it being a top loading HE (my mom has it & I wish I did) it has the option of filling it with water with the push of a (soak) or (presoak) button. You can also run loads with more water than the normal HE amounts by using the "bulky" setting. Just know that when you do that, you will need to use a bit more detergent than the HE amount, but probably not quite as much as the normal requirements. You get the best of both worlds - an HE washer for your normal clothes & a washer you can run with more water for your diapers! I'm jealous! Congrats!
Me 36, DH 34, DD 5, DS born 9/29/10
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby flygirl44 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:20 pm

cneal- thanks! I'm glad to get a good review of it. I was starting to get scared reading all the horror stories about cloth diapering with a HE washer. I can't wait until it gets here and I can see what all the settings are. I've never had an appliance delivered that I have NO idea about, but hey- it was free, right!?!?!?

It's also nice to know that there is a way I can fill it up with water with the push of a button, that alone makes me feel much better about washing dipes with the right amount of liquid in there. :)

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby cneal » Sun May 15, 2011 2:56 pm

I think as far as HE washers go, you hit the jackpot for compatability with cloth! That said, I use an HE (mine is one that is horrible, honestly) & while it takes a bit more trial & error, I've got my system down & its no hassle for us now. I do get tempted to go out & buy a Cabrio like my mom's, though.
Me 36, DH 34, DD 5, DS born 9/29/10
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby photofashionista » Mon May 16, 2011 10:08 pm

I thought I was being smart buy buying an HE washer with the santary cycles before we were even pregnant because I knew I'd be cloth diapering. Imagine my dissapointment when I found out my crappy old washer that ate clothes was much better for diapering. LoL

I have an LG front loader and LOVE IT! It does take half a day to do diaper laundry though. I do a cold wash/extra water/extra rinse with no detergent. That's a 1.5 hr wash time. Then usually another speed wash on cold with extra rinse if they still smell strong for a half hour wash time. Then a hot was or sanitary wash (I tend to alternate between the two)/extra water/extra rinse. That last cycle is about 2 hours. And if I see any suds or it still smells not quite clean to me I'll do another 30 min speed wash. I know it's a pain but baby girl has super sensetive skin and will break out in a rash if I don't rinse a zillion times.

And after all that I have to do two 50 min drying cycles to get them all dry. WHEW! I was using Rockin' Green but think I'm getting some rash problems from that. I tried a sample of Allen's Naturally I received and so far it's made a big difference so I'm probably going to use that from now on. For HE washers you only need 2 tsp. I can buy a gallon of it for $40. That should last me...well basically forever! LOL

Honestly though, I love my washer and dryer. It's so gentle on my clothes and it's not hard to push some buttons and walk away, I just have to remember to keep checking to see if it's done. A lot of times I'll put the load in before bed and since she still wakes up every few hours I just restart the load in the middle of the night and I'm generally done by morning.

Congrats on your new prize! I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon.
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering