let the fun begin! (wash question)

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

let the fun begin! (wash question)

Postby wife4life » Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 am

Ansleigh is in her first cloth diaper today! BG xs...we have a few more of these, a few kissaluvs 0's with bummis wraps, and a couple dozen gmd orange edge with thirsties xs covers. We'll see how it goes. I have a top load washer...we use homemade detergent...what should my wash routine be? My friend prepped them, so I am just learning...any suggestions?
Me (Blair): 25
DH (Stephen): 27
DD (Ava): 12/2007
DD (Ansleigh): 5/2011

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
wife4life
Angel
Angel

Postby cneal » Sun May 22, 2011 10:36 am

What is your homeade detergent recipe?? Just curious

Wash routine is generally cold wash, no detergent. Then, hot wash with detergent & extra rinse. With your detergent you may need to play with the amounts until you find the right amount to use, usually use less than you think you need & build up (easier to add more than getting detergent residue out).

I added a link that has the bummis typical washing instructions http://www.mybabywearscloth.com/pages/laundryinfo.htm
Me 36, DH 34, DD 5, DS born 9/29/10
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby ivycrystals » Sun May 22, 2011 2:08 pm

What cneal said. The only thing I might add is oxi clean in your prewash.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby wife4life » Sun May 22, 2011 3:07 pm

1/3 bar of fellsnappa soap....chop this up, or grate it.

Put three pints of water into a pot, warm on stove. Slowly melt the soap into the water on stove top. DO NOT BOIL, just slowly melt.

Once it is melted, add in 1/8 cup of PH plus (can be found in pool section of local grocery store)...(or you can substitute washing soda for the PH)...and add 1/2 cup of borax.

Poor this mixture into a two gallon bucket. Add 1 qt. of hot water. Stir. Let sit 24 hours. It will form a liquidy gel. As it sits...it may thicken up. If it gets too thick, then you can add hot water to make it to the right consistancy. We use a kitchen utensil to stir, and an old liquid detergent cap to measure for laundry.

Thanks ladies! I will be washing for the first time tomorrow! I am kind of nervous :)
Me (Blair): 25
DH (Stephen): 27
DD (Ava): 12/2007
DD (Ansleigh): 5/2011

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
wife4life
Angel
Angel

Postby cneal » Mon May 23, 2011 7:02 am

duplicate post - dang computer :mad:
Last edited by cneal on Mon May 23, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Postby cneal » Mon May 23, 2011 7:04 am

I've read really conflicting stuff about borax for cloth diapers. I know that honestly, it is fine for cloth diapers (for the cloth itself). Here's your disclaimer that I have to give as a retailer: Manufacturers have said that it can break down the elastic in diapers over time & it will void the warranty.
That being said - when my dd was in fuzzi bunz, I washed & actually soaked all her dipes in borax & soda & nothing bad ever happened, in fact, ds is wearing some of her 6 yr old pink "old school" fuzzi bunz right now & they (and their elastic) are in perfect condition!

I've never heard of that recipe with the pool ph before. Have you read the duggar soap recipe? Sounds similar, but without the pool ph. I think it uses oxi clean instead. I dont know about pool chemicals on baby booties. Other ladies may can help here.
www.mybabywearscloth.com
cneal
Angel
Angel

Return to Cloth Diapering