Brand New & Clueless! Please Help!

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Brand New & Clueless! Please Help!

Postby ktbug87 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:22 pm

We are not expecting our first until January, but we are sold on cloth diapering.

Which means I need advice!!!!

My first question is, how many cloth diapers should I plan on having or needing?

And then the big thing....what brand, and which diaper? I get very overwhelmed by reading so many reviews!

Do a lot of you use different diapers for different ages, or do you like the OS cloth diapers?

Thanks!
ktbug87
Addicted
Addicted

Postby stefanielynn » Sun May 22, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm still relatively new to this, but here is what I have/use.

Newborn: almost solely prefolds and covers. They are REALLY easy once you get the hang of it, and they are the cheapest to purchase. I also used some fitteds at night because they are easy to change when you're sleep deprived.

My little miss has pretty much outgrown her newborn prefolds (my favorites are Green Mountain Diapers--you'll see them referred to as GMD a lot--with a Thirsties duo wrap or Bummis whisper wrap). Now we use mostly prefolds during the day and a bamboo contour with snap-in microfiber and fleece inserts to keep her dry (with a cover) at night. I also have a lot of Bum Genius pockets, some Swaddlebees pockets, and Happy Heiny pockets. I use those off and on during the day, but honestly the prefolds are quick and easy. I have some sized Bum Genius all in ones that we use for the diaper bag or when she has doctor's appointments as they are the most trim and the easiest to get on and off. But they take awhile to dry and are the most expensive route to take if you make your entire stash with those (though they will keep baby dry and are very simple!)

I am planning to order a Flip Day Pack to try out, too, since I've heard good things about those.

I have 24 newborn prefolds and 24 size smalls. I have never had a problem with running out of diapers and I wash every other day. It would be more than enough since I have the AIOs, OS, and contours that I use periodically, too, and I could probably stretch my washing to every 3-4 days if I didn't run out of room in my pail after two days anyway.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 am

My newborn stash consisted of 24 preemie pfs and 24 infant pfs, 12 kissaluv 0s, 4 xs small covers and 6 small covers, and 2 xs thirsties aios. I didn't like the kissaluv diapers and used the pfs pretty much exclusively.

I loved my xs thirsties aios so I bought a bunch of smalls and used those at daycare til she outgrew them. Then I bought 9 BGOS and 10 BG elementals.

Now I have a variety of diapers. For daycare I still do pockets and AIOs. At home I do fitteds or flats.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 am

P.S. I'm due in January too!
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mor_to_4 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:52 pm

http://www.twoweekwait.com/preg/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=163114

check out this link too, peopel here put their own personal reviews on diapers.. that helped me a lot! i didnt start cloth till dd was 12 months.. so i dont know abouit newborn diapering. but i LOVE green mountain diapers. i got the majority of my stash from their picks. i got 24 prefolds (i dont come close to using them all) a ton of different inserts. all in ones .. bum genius 4.0.. thirsties are GREAT covers...i hate bummis whisper covers. IMSE VIMSE is a great cover too... love the softness and its organic. for newborn i would think 24 prefolds would be perfect. and get maybe 7 covers.
me (Sarah) 32...DH 34

DS 11
DS 9
DD 8
DD 1

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."

Mor_to_4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jovic » Sat May 28, 2011 4:38 pm

I started with 24 newborn prefolds & 24 capri length prefolds. They were Little lions unbleached indian prefolds from littlelions. Then a couple Thirsties duo size 1 covers & some small Bummis whisper wraps - probably 5-7 total.

Then I bought a couple cute fitted newborn diapers & xs AIOs - just funsies!

The prefolds & PUL covers were great for newborn stage.

I did try a bunch of different types of the past year & now for my 17 month old we use fitteds & wool or AIO (grovia because they are all cotton inside, no polyester/fleece/microsuede - my DD can't handle those fibers.)

Most one size diapers say they don't fit until 10lbs. I think that's a little low. Even at 10lbs they are kinda bulky. I think more like 15lbs to start one-sized. At least that was my experience.
Me: Jolene (34)
DH: Paul (33)
Image Image
jovic
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bwolfe » Mon May 30, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm a bit of a prefold chicken so my newborn stash is all fitteds and all in ones. I jst watched the sales for the past year and stocked up cheaply. I have Bum Genius xs, Thirsties AIO xs, econobums and Monkey Doodlez for AIOs and then for fitteds I have kissuluvs 0s, fab fitteds xs, Diaper Drive Thrus (cutest prints) and I have some thirsties covers, some Bummis and some wool.

I have a few pocket diapers in size small and medium but everything else is one size. My first DS mostly wears the Bum Genius one size pockets which ds2 will fit hopefully once he outgrows all the small ones.

So yeah, all that to say I like variety of styles and sizes.
Becky - 36
DH - 44
DS1 - Ethan - July 23/08
DS2 - Evan - May 19/11

bwolfe
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 am

I posted on the other thread, but we use green mountain diaper prefolds. I have 2 dozen in each size. We also use Thirsties Duo covers. He now primarily is in medium sized prefolds and size 2 covers, but can squeeze into the size small prefolds and size 1 cover if we're around the house and I can change him often. We have 2 dozen diapers in each size, and that seems to be a good amount. You'll be changing often early on, because they have bowel movements so often.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommyofgirls » Tue May 31, 2011 10:45 pm

Bumgenus AIO Size Xs are AWESOME!! Love those!
Michele: 32 Dh:31
:babyg: 3/16/1997
:babyg: 7/7/2006
:babyg: 1/3/2009
:angel: Angel:1/16/2008 via D&C @ 9.5weeks
BFP:August 10th 2010 9/3 :hb: 131 11/22 :hb: 146
:babyg: My LOVE: Ella is here! April 8th,2011 7lbs 5.8oz
mommyofgirls
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jadie_f » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:19 pm

I have mostly prefolds and Thirsties or Bummi whispers wraps, I have a dzen organic BG AIOs as well, but we use those much less as they take longer to dry. I love prefolds, cheap, easy and if you ruin one its no biggie. I have dozens of them. They also make excellent cleaning cloths after kids too.
Di Di Ci Ci
:hb: 10/19/09 :hb:
Jay Jay Nay Nay is here! Born au naturel in my CAR!!!
:hb: 4/26/11 :hb:

And for my next trick....surrogacy! BFP 5dp5dt! EDD 2/22!

http://mylifeisblindhope.blogspot.com/
jadie_f
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering