Due in November

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Due in November

Postby Beckster » Tue May 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi,

My first baby is due in November. I've been thinking about cloth diapers for years. (I use cloth pads...well I did before I got pregnant lol.)

So I've been reading about it and I am all about it now. I'm just nervous. I'm thinking of doing all All-In-Ones since it's easy enough that DH can handle it and still cheaper than disposables so he can't fuss about it. Is that stupid? Should I buy some prefolds and try them out? It's hard now because I can't practice yet.

Will All-In-Ones work on newborns? I don't know what's going on. :D
:angel: November 1, 2010 at 11w 1d

Bruce's Website
Beckster
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Tue May 24, 2011 4:29 pm

AIOs will work on a newborn if you get newborn sized ones. One-sized diapers don't tend to fit well until about 10 pounds.

I would order some prefolds for the newborn stage. My husband was set on only liking pockets and AIOs, and insisted that he would only trifold if we used prefolds--he is now a better Snappi-er than I am! I don't mind using the prefolds at all, and since I'm the one that is home with her I do the majority of the diaper changes. The pockets and AIOs are available if he wants to use them (he rarely does, though).

I was really nervous about using cloth, too, but it really is so easy, and the diapers are CUTE. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beckster » Tue May 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Thanks!
:angel: November 1, 2010 at 11w 1d

Bruce's Website
Beckster
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Wed May 25, 2011 12:04 pm

I had my first baby last November (November babies rock!! :D) and decided part way through pregnancy that cloth was the way to go. I had never even changed a diaper before! We started with prefolds, snappi fasteners and Thirsties DUO covers. We are still doing prefolds at 6 1/2 months old! I am a SAHM and have my own washing machine, etc, so it's no trouble to wash them myself. They're the cheapest way to go, and I have had no trouble with absorbency or ease. My husband does diaper changes when he's home and he actually prefers using cloth. We find it quite easy and affordable, and I expect he'll be in PF's most of the time until he's potty trained!

Even if you do AIO's part of the time or all of the time later, I would definitely order some PF's for the newborn stage. The size One Thirsties DUO and NB sized PF's from Green Mountain Diapers worked well with my newborn. In fact, I almost wish I had just jumped to size small PF's and just had them a little big the first weeks. I didn't get much use out of the NB size. He was 8 lbs 2 oz at birth and put on 2 or 3 lbs right away, though. If you have a smaller baby and slower growth rate, you would be good with the NB size for a lot longer.

Good luck on hat you choose!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering