Wash questions

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Wash questions

Postby Emmo » Sat May 28, 2011 7:03 am

Ackk, just when I think I'm getting a handle on understanding cloth diapering, more questions arise.

What's a good soap to wash them with? Do you wash the inserts with the covers? What about the different types of covers? for example, I hear wool you don't need to wash?? What about AIO? Can you wash them with inserts from other types of diapers? What about covers made of PUL?

AHHH, overload.... The washing seems like a huge chore unless you can just throw everything together, which sounds unlikely to me...?

Also, how to you store them before the wash? Just throw everything together in a pail? Do you separate them? What kind of pail do you keep them in?

TIA!
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mor_to_4 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:43 pm

ok, thuis is what i do... i wash everything together.. i do not own wool so i dont have an opinion on that. i store them in wet/dry bags from planetwise. i have a big hanging one and 2 medium ones. the 2 medium perfect for my every 2 day wash cycle, the big hanging one can hold a lot more.

when i put them in, i take the inserts out of the diaper so i dont have to do it when putting them in the wash. i secure any velcro tabs where they need to be as well to eliminate time throwing them in the wash... if i go over two day the ammopnia smell is pretty wicked.

I use charlies soap (i think thats what its called) and i love it. i use about half of a tablespoon to 3/4 per load and this is a front loader LG. the amount i think is something you need to play with.

i wash all covers, mine all have the PUL..with the AIO's, with my inserts...all types... with all my prefolds. if its nice out i will dry my covers outside.. i havnt had too many of those days yet.. lol..

hope i answered all your Q's!!
me (Sarah) 32...DH 34

DS 11
DS 9
DD 8
DD 1

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."

Mor_to_4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Wash questions

Postby jovic » Sat May 28, 2011 4:30 pm

What's a good soap to wash them with?
Currently we use All Small & Mighty Free & Clear. I have no problem with build-up using this. Previously I used Rockin Green - had lots of stink issues, but I think my detergent was part of a recall or should have been, some people love it. I also used Planet liquid - it worked good, no build-up or stink, I can just buy the All at my local Target instead of driving 30 minutes to Whole Foods to get the Planet.

Do you wash the inserts with the covers?

Yes
What about the different types of covers? for example, I hear wool you don't need to wash??
You don't wash wool every time you use it, this is correct. You also DON'T wash wool in the washing machine, it needs to be handwashed. I wash my wool with a wool wash containing lanolin I purchased on hyenacart or I use lanisoh lanolin & baby shampoo. If you use wool interlock (instead of knitted wool) you can wash in your machine on gentle, I have yet to try as I am afraid.

What about AIO? Can you wash them with inserts from other types of diapers? What about covers made of PUL?

Yes, yes & yes

AHHH, overload.... The washing seems like a huge chore unless you can just throw everything together, which sounds unlikely to me...?
everything except wool! My wash routine is (1) cold rinse, no detergent (2) hot wash w/detergent & rinse (3) extra rinse. Then I throw everything in the dryer!
Also, how to you store them before the wash? Just throw everything together in a pail? Do you separate them? What kind of pail do you keep them in?

We have 2 "pails"
We have a small trash can w/ a flip lid next to the toilet that we have attached our diaper sprayer to. We rinse of the poopy diapers & throw them in this trash can. although when it was just EBF poop we didn't usually rinse.

Then we have a larger diaper pail in the nursery lined with a large wetbag/pail liner. It has a drawstring, not a zipper. We throw the pee diapers in there.

when it's wash day (every other day or every 2nd day) We combine the pee & poo diapers in the machine.

TIA!
Your welcome! Good luck!
Me: Jolene (34)
DH: Paul (33)
Image Image
jovic
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Sun May 29, 2011 6:17 am

Thank you so much! This is such helpful information!!!! I love the poopy diaper and pee diaper pail ideas. These are the little things that I'm sure I would figure out on my own with trial and error but it's nice to get a feel of it before I start.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sweetpnaigee » Sun May 29, 2011 10:12 pm

I mostly have fitteds, prefolds and some pocket diapers. Yes, I wash them all together. I used Rockin Green for a while but it got expensive so I switched to Planet detergent. I store them in a diaper pail. I just use a regular trash can and use Planet Wise diaper pail liner to store the dirty diapers and usually wash ever other day.
Peter&Giselle

ImageImage

sweetpnaigee
Addicted
Addicted

Postby BeccaM » Tue May 31, 2011 10:21 am

It's simple. We just use prefolds and covers. I wash the prefolds separately, every 3 days. Cold soak and rinse, hot wash, double rinse, line dry. Bleach very occasionally (like once every 6 weeks) if they really smell. I have been using baking soda in the cold soak and haven't been having as many problems with odors.

We hand wash the covers in the sink and air dry, and it seems to help them last well. They still look almost new.

I put everything in a trash can with a flip lid, as my diaper pail, until we wash. I swish the poopies in the toilet before tossing them in the pail.

Nothing to it!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering