Washing with hard water?

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Washing with hard water?

Postby stefanielynn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:42 am

When baby girl was born, we had soft water. Washing was easy, the diapers were coming out clean, no smells, I had to use veeeery little detergent. We moved a month and a half ago though, and we now have super hard water. I am just not getting my diapers as clean as they need to be! If I use a little detergent, they come out looking and smelling awful. I upped the detergent, but they still have a slight smell and don't look as clean as I would like.

If you have hard water, what is your routine? What detergent do you use? Help!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KimmyH » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 am

What is your wash routine? What detergent, additives, how many washes/rinses?

My water is moderately hard. I have a super capacity toploader. I also rinse then wetpail poopies and overnight diapers with a squirt of BacOut.

I do:
Cold power rinse
Hot wash with 30 minute presoak with 3 TBSP Rockin Green Classic and 2 TBSP Oxyclean (occasionally I add Ecover in a downy ball)
Cold power rinse

Adding washing soda (arm and hammer on the laundry aisle) along with your detergent is supposed to help act as a water softener, which might help your detergent work more efficiently.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:23 am

I'm using All Free Clear right now, which I know isn't ideal. I was using Arm and Hammer Essentials before, but can't find it here. Have been thinking about ordering some Rockin Green but it seems to be about 50/50 with people liking it or not.

I do a cold wash no detergent, followed by a hot wash with the recommended detergent amount, and then an extra cold rinse. No additives at all, just the detergent. I wash every other day.

I think I'll just order some Rockin Green to try out. Can't hurt. You use the Classic--any reason you prefer that over the Hard Rock? And I will look into that washing soda--anything to help!
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KimmyH » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:38 pm

stefanielynn wrote:I'm using All Free Clear right now, which I know isn't ideal. I was using Arm and Hammer Essentials before, but can't find it here. Have been thinking about ordering some Rockin Green but it seems to be about 50/50 with people liking it or not.

I do a cold wash no detergent, followed by a hot wash with the recommended detergent amount, and then an extra cold rinse. No additives at all, just the detergent. I wash every other day.

I think I'll just order some Rockin Green to try out. Can't hurt. You use the Classic--any reason you prefer that over the Hard Rock? And I will look into that washing soda--anything to help!

I use classic instead of hard rock because our water is moderately hard and classic does the job. Hard rock made my diapers feel crunchy when I tried a sample. If you email RnG and tell them where you live they will tell you what kind you need for your water hardness. I really like RnG, but it is kind of $$. You could certainly try oxyclean and/or washing soda first or in addition. IME powdered detergent cleans and rinses better than liquid.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:20 pm

I've been noticing people stating a preference for powders. I'm sure I'll end up switching. I'll do the email and see what I should be using--thanks!
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering