sorry ladies another question :)

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

sorry ladies another question :)

Postby jessm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Sorry to bug you with my questions before I even start CDing...

How did you convince your DH's to CD? Mine is most stubborn about sposies. Like he's never heard of global warming or something! You'd think being married to a scientist he'd know!
BFP 5/4/11 at 10 DPO with our first!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
BFP 12/20/13 at 10 DPO with baby 2!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:41 pm

DH loves CDing as much as I do. If we have DD in sposies, he can't stand it. Sposies smell once urine hits it and then they stink up the garbage.
Advantages:
VERY economic and environmentally friendly (they pay for themselves within months)
Nice and soft on baby's bottom
No chemicals that can irritate and cause potential fertility problems

Show him what is in the sposies. Those gel beads? Ick.

Velcro closures are very DH friendly. Once he starts, he will realize how nice they are!
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Just buy some and let him see what they look like. They're not nearly as complicated as people think. Also, play up the cost savings. Lastly, just say, "Let's try it. If we don't like it, I can sell the dipes." Then don't look back. :lol:
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:26 am

Good call! I'm going to just put them on my registry whether he likes it or not. He'll have to get over it! He goes "washing poop in the washer is SO gross. one day I'm going to be getting ready for work and there will b e poop from the washer on my shirt." Yeah babe, because a diaper would get clean getting washed in poop. Men!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby Cinder4320 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:40 am

I have a page on my blog with some of the points that won DH over. Now he raves about it to people and how much money we are saving.

http://nuturingnolan.blogspot.com/p/clo ... -info.html The post titled on the fence gives my reasons.

I started by simply telling hubby I'd be doing 99% of the changes anyways and asking if he want to save money. Nine months is a long time to make it sort of happen. It seriously is no more messy or gross. I use disposables with the baby I babysit and really would rather put cloth on her! She has blowouts and mine has only ever had one!
affordable, trendy cloth diapers http://www.firstcoastfluff.com
Like us on FB http://www.facebook.com/FirstCoastFluff for specials and deals!

Due Nov. 4th 2009...Arrived Oct. 25 2009
Due Aug 31 2012...Arrived August 16 2012

m/c January 2011 @~6wks
m/c July 2011 @~8wks

ImageImage
Cinder4320
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:43 am

I've been cloth diapering for 3 months now, and not once has their been poop left in the washing machine--it just doesn't happen. And I assume this is your first? Cloth or not, you will be washing poop, and pee, and spit up...it all comes out!

I'm lucky in that when it comes to things like this, my husband is very "whatever you want, babe". He did think he would only use pockets and AIOs, but he is now a GREAT Snappi-er and he uses prefolds pretty much exclusively. I also promised him I would do the washing, but he'll even do that now. Once we started, we both saw how easy it truly is and we have no regrets. He tells his friends that we use cloth and tells them how much money we've saved (I managed to get an entire stash--diaper pail, wipes, wetbags, etc all included--for just over $300...doing that with disposables would be very difficult!). I will say the first few days are daunting. I didn't love them at first, but give it a couple of weeks and you won't look back. It seriously does become a little bit of an addiction and even though I don't NEED any new diapers right now I really WANT some. :oops:

Yes, look up the gel beads. I used disposables on my son, but I just didn't know about the nastiness. Those gel beads are made from the same material that used to be used in tampons and pads that was causing toxic shock syndrome. No way I could knowingly put that on my baby now, especially my little girl. I have fertility problems and I can't help but wonder if it's things like disposable diapers that are increasing that risk.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:48 am

I've been cloth diapering for 2 years. Poop doesn't get left in the washer. When you are EBF (exclusively breastfeeding) the poo disolves just like yogurt in your machine. You can just toss it in and wash. No biggie. Once you start solids, you'll want to get the poo off the diaper before you wash. I have a diaper sprayer. I hold over the toilet and spray til the diaper is poo free. It's easy and then I put it in my pail. You can also use flushable liners on your diapers to catch most of the poo and just lift it out and put in the toilet.

I hope that helps.

After 2 years, my DH still thinks I'm nuts and won't use "those diapers" but he doesn't say a word about the washing machine.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:46 am

My husband loves our cloth diapers! He was always changing them early on, in the newborn stage. He actually would pick cloth over disposables. Maybe he liked the challenge of doing something "different". Anyway, they really aren't any "yuckier" than disposables. They smell better, there are much few blowouts, mine have never left poop in the washer. They are just about as fast to change as sposies, too, and save quite a bit of money!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:02 pm

BeccaM wrote: They are just about as fast to change as sposies, too,

This! Just last night at small group, DD had a very loud poo. :P They all know I use cloth and stopped the discussion long enough for me to change her--they were surprised at how fast I came back (and this was using prefolds, not a pocket or AIO). Once you get the hang of it, it is super fast and easy!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: sorry ladies another question :)

Postby KatieJo3 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:17 pm

mrsmcdevitt wrote:How did you convince your DH's to CD? Mine is most stubborn about sposies. Like he's never heard of global warming or something! You'd think being married to a scientist he'd know!

Just do it, seriously. If you are going to be changing the majority of the diapers, then you use the diapering system you prefer. To make it easier for him, try pockets and/or AIO's..... they are most like sposies.

My DH and I went round and round about this (but it was b/c he didn't want the extra work for me since I was already overwhelmed), but once he acquiesced to the first initial purchase, I just stopped asking him about it and bought the diapers I wanted/needed :wink:
KatieJo3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessm » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Thank you SO much ladies. He is slowly coming around, but honestly he's gonna just have to get over it! Although he will be home with the baby for 6 weeks (in NJ men get 6 weeks paid paternity leave) after I go back to work I will be changing most of the diapers. He's so clueless he's in for a RUDE awakening I think!
8/2/11 it's a BOY!!!
3/19/14 it's a GIRL!!!

jessm

Postby stuckunderhere » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Tell him about sposie facts like: "do you know you actually have to dump out the poop in the toilet for disposables anyway? Nobody does it, but you should!... Do you know it takes 500yrs for 1 disposable diaper to START to dissolve in those landfills? Imagine those filled with poop!" lol
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:34 am

I have DH mostly convinced with all those facts you guys mentioned. But he DOESN"T want to dump poop, so he keeps saying "Well, ok cool, I wont have to change anymore poopie diapers anymore if we switch- you have to do them all" lol urgg.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sassie111 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Emmo wrote:I have DH mostly convinced with all those facts you guys mentioned. But he DOESN"T want to dump poop, so he keeps saying "Well, ok cool, I wont have to change anymore poopie diapers anymore if we switch- you have to do them all" lol urgg.

My hubby won't dump poop either lol... he just leaves it on the back of the toilet for me to take care of when I have a minute.
Me (Christina) 33, DH 35, DD 14, DS 11, DD 9, DS 3, DD 2
MC ~ Nov. 07', 9 weeks
MC ~ Oct. 11', 11 weeks
Chemical ~ Jan. 12', 4 weeks
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
sassie111
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby rachelrhin0 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:36 pm

I just did a video on the dad's view of cloth diapering. You should have your husband check it out. Also search for others on YouTube. That may help you and your hubby both. A YouTube mommy by the name of Informationmommy just did a good one too.

Here is a link to mine.
http://www.youtube.com/user/carlynicole ... ature=mhee
Rachel (30) Wife to Ryan (34)
Carly (11/15/07-3/9/08 ) Hannah (stillborn 32 weeks 11/7/08 ) Noah (35 weeks 6/30/10)
Due in Fall 2012 Facebook Group

Follow me on YouTube!
rachelrhin0
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Cloth Diapering