Finally ready to start CD the twins

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Finally ready to start CD the twins

Postby macksmom » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:50 pm

I had a really rough time after delivering my twins and was in and out of the hospital for the first month after they were born. I'm still not fully recovered, but feel good enough to take on CD them both like I had planned in the beginning.

I guess I'm a little nervous about CD twins...I'm sure tons of twin moms have done it, but I'm still nervous that it will seem overwhelming to me, at least at first. So I guess I'm looking for advice as to what is the easiest CD system to use? I was thinking AIO because those are most like disposables, so it might make it an easy transition for me. Are there different kinds of AIO?

I've also thought about trying the ones with inserts, those are referred to as 'pocket diapers' right?

I guess my main needs are I want a diaper that is easy to use since I will be doing double time with the twins and I would like one that isn't prone to leaking.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction...for types and brands you think are best?
Me 28, DH 30
DD1- 12/31/2001
DS1- 04/27/2011
DD2- 04/27/2011

macksmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:13 pm

I can't give much advice on the twin thing (congrats!) but I can help a little between the AIO and pockets. AIOs take quite awhile to dry, so that can be a factor. The pockets dry much more quickly, but you do have to take the time to "stuff" them. They both definitely have their plusses and minuses. I use AIOs at night since they are so absorbant, but I also "stuff" them with an extra insert, so they're really no easier than my pockets when it comes to that. If you want your diapers to be as close to disposables as possible, as far as ease, then pockets or AIOs are probably your best bet.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ahenderson05 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:49 pm

For ease of use and cost effectivness I would recommend quailty prefolds and covers. PF's wash and dry easily!!!
Amanda (33) DH (34) H(13) M(9) K(5) C (2) G (1)

ahenderson05
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sisrea » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:24 pm

If your looking for as close to ease as disposables new to cloth diapers and ESPECIALLY with twins, I would Highly recommend a pocket diaper like bumgenius or fuzibunz. I used bumgenius and really liked them, but i know alot of people like fuzzi bunz as well. Pockets are quick and easy to dry unlike the AIO's.

I really liked it, once i got the hang of it. If your twins are formula fed, I highly recommend a diaper sprayer as well, it will make cleaning poo a world difference for me. I would have cloth diapered without it.

Also feel free to PM me if you have any other questions as well.
Me- 29
DH-30
MC'd 11/06; 06/07; and 10/07
DD 1&2 Born 1/26/09
Check out my WAHM store burp rags and bibs in very fun prints, like Star Wars and Mustaches!! I also do custom work! Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BittiBottomDesigns

ImageImage

Sisrea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JenAsh3 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 am

I did mostly BGOS with my twins. After a few months (I started when they were about 3 mos), I did branch out some & tried different things, but always came back to the BGOS. They are easy to use(go on similar to sposies, no pinning/snappying, adjustable) & easy to wash/dry(I always dried mine in the dryer & they dry quickly) & have good resale value(I sold all of mine for about 1/3 of what I paid for them).

Good luck! It can be done & you will save SO much money on diapers!! :)
Jen
A&D 12/12/07
P 10/6/09
JenAsh3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sugarpalmer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Congrats again on your twins :) I have not cd'd twins, but a friend of mine did. She used bumgenius one size too. You are going to be changing a lot of dipes whether they are cloth or sposies. At least with cloth you are not throwing that money out. It is really just an extra load of laundry about every other day. I hate laundry, yet I can't say I mind or even notice the extra load. Totally worth it!
sugarpalmer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby macksmom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:33 pm

ok, so it sounds like pocket diapers are the way the go from what you all are saying...and maybe a few AIO for overnight?

So pocket diapers need the inserts correct? When I change diapers do I need to change into a whole new diaper or just the insert?...if only wet I mean, obviously if they pooed I know I'd need to change the whole thing :lol:

So bumgenis....are they just one size that adjusts as they grow or are they sized? If they offer both, which do you prefer?

And the twins are formula fed, I had to stop BF due to all my complications and hospitalization :( So I've read about the sprayer and thought that was a neat idea....does it easily attach to the toilet?

And what about laundrying...sorry for all the questions haha!
But I've read two ways...a dry pail and wet pail....which do you do if you aren't doing laundry that day? Can I just toss them in a diaper pail and wash later?

It all seem overwhelming as I have NEVER CD before and don't know anyone (personally) that has....so you ladies are all I have for answers haha!
Me 28, DH 30
DD1- 12/31/2001
DS1- 04/27/2011
DD2- 04/27/2011

macksmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:32 am

You wash the whole diaper, not just the insert. If you have a top loader with an agitator, you don't need to pull the insert out, the machine will do it for you. I think if you have a HE machine, though, it's a different story.

The BG 3.0s or 4.0s have snaps that allow you to adjust the rise. The AIOs I have (also Bum Genius) are sized. I don't have a preference, but it's cheaper to get the one size. If you get the sized dipes, you have to buy new diapers for every size, which is 3-4x more expensive.

Washing is easy. I just toss my diapers in a pail with a pail liner and wash every other day. There is never a smell, though she is EBF...I don't know how that will change once she starts on solids. I do a cold wash with no detergent, a hot wash with detergent, and an extra rinse. Very easy!

I have no personal experience with the sprayer (yet) but I've been told it's easy.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JenAsh3 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:38 am

My twins were ff & I didn't start using a sprayer until they were 15 mos or so. Before that, I would just swish poop dipes in the toilet briefly to get any chunks off. That being said, I LOVED my sprayer. So much easier & quicker!! My husband attached ours, but it seemed to be pretty straitforward.

Dry pail. I washed every other day & did take the inserts out before I washed. Yes, you need to change the whole diaper(BGOS come with the inserts).

I loved the one size diapers. They fit all my kids well & when I had #3, I didn't have to worry about sorting diapers after washing b/c I could just resnap for the different sizes.
Jen
A&D 12/12/07
P 10/6/09
JenAsh3
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby macksmom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:54 am

Ok, I guess now I'm confused as to what is the difference between the AIO and the pockets....if with the pockets you still have to change the whole diaper and insert when they pee, isn't that the same (function wise) as and AIO...just no liners?
Me 28, DH 30
DD1- 12/31/2001
DS1- 04/27/2011
DD2- 04/27/2011

macksmom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sisrea » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 am

And AIO the inserts are sewn in the diaper and they aren't generally as absorbent as pockets and take longer to dry. Pockets you have to stuff the insert (absorbent material) inside the diaper and it can be customized for different needs. AIO you just stick them on the kid and go, no stuffing but have their downsides as mentioned above in other posts too.

And AI2 (all in 2) like the flip, you can re-use the cover if it isn't messy and just swap out the insert... That is what i think you are confusing the pockets with.
Me- 29
DH-30
MC'd 11/06; 06/07; and 10/07
DD 1&2 Born 1/26/09
Check out my WAHM store burp rags and bibs in very fun prints, like Star Wars and Mustaches!! I also do custom work! Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BittiBottomDesigns

ImageImage

Sisrea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:02 pm

As far as pockets, I like the Fuzzibunz diapers and also Charlie Banana Diapers (so cute)

Like the PP said, you might do well with AI2 (all-in-two) diapers. Best Bottoms and GroVia are two other brands that you can put in a soaker (it just snaps right into the shell so it doesn't move) and then you can re-use the shell as long as it's not soiled. You can also use disposable inserts with the AI2 diapers which are good when you are out and about and don't want to carry any "dirties" with you. You might get a few changes out of using an AI2 diaper since the shell can be re-used. You are right- with a pocket or an AIO, you will have to wash after every use.

My site sells all the brands listed above. www.tummy2bummy.com but you can find most of those brands at many retailers (not trying to push my site on ya, lol)

:)
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Return to Cloth Diapering