wet bottom on a heavy wetter?

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

wet bottom on a heavy wetter?

Postby Beegee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Hey ladies, thought I'd come to the experts.

I've only been CDing my DD for a few months now, and all I have is 5 pockets that a girlfriend gave me, and 5 Kushies all-in-ones.

I find the Kushies AIOs are awful because as soon as DD pees into the cotton insides, she's literally soaking wet all over her skin and just sitting in it until I change her. I don't like to be following her around every 5 minutes, checking her bottom to see if she peed yet, so sometimes it's been awhile before I change her and her skin is just damp all over. I'm not a fan. Can't leave the house with her in these, as they don't last me a car ride.

The pockets, on the other hand, I stuff with hemp or bamboo inserts that have awesome absorbancy and are separated from her bottom with a layer of fleece that seems dry to the touch when I go to change her, no matter how soaked the inserts are. Love that.

So, my question is: for other CD systems (pre-folds, fitteds, other types of AIOs, etc), does the baby's bottom just rest against the wet fabric that it's peeing in? And if so-- do you just have to change them super often? My DD is such a heavy wetter that a single good pee is enough to warrant a change in those AIOs (checking her from about 10mins into wearing it). So not practical.

I'm looking to buying a ton more CDs, and am totally open to prefolds/covers and would love to try out some fitteds. Thing is, whenever I look at all the options, I don't see any fleece liners and just wonder how a baby's bum can stay nice and dry when it's up against the absorbing cloth? Should I just stick with my pockets?

Sorry for the noob-i-ness! Thanks in advance!
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 am

I've used pfs and fitteds for 2 years. And IME it depends on the kid and the brand. For example, when Leah was a brand new baby, I used preemie pfs and those and kissaluv size 0s would be completed soaking almost to the point of dripping wet. But when I started using premium infant pfs (4x8x4) I didn't have that issue. Same thing with fitteds, with boutique fitteds, I never had that soaking wet issue, but with some wahm fitteds I have and thirsties fitteds she'd be soaked. You can line them with fleece to wick the moisture away.

I've actually heard that the Kushies aren't *that* absorbent.

I started using trifolded pfs and flats when L was around 1yo and if I needed the extra boost I could put a doubler in the middle. I never had the soaking wet issue.

If you're going with fitteds, Pianissimo Cloth on Hyena Cart is my fave, hands down! I love them. They are very very absorbent, but she makes an extra doubler to go with them. And the minky can be worn coverless! Definitely a good deal and awesome diaper!!! We started using the mediums around 5mo and L still fits in them now at 2yo.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BriannaMarie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:40 pm

ivycrystals wrote:If you're going with fitteds, Pianissimo Cloth on Hyena Cart is my fave, hands down! I love them. They are very very absorbent, but she makes an extra doubler to go with them. And the minky can be worn coverless! Definitely a good deal and awesome diaper!!! We started using the mediums around 5mo and L still fits in them now at 2yo.

Other than pocket diapers (I only use Fuzzi Bunz and more recently the Kawaii diapers) I like and use a few PC diapers. Isabelle is a VERY heavy wetter and these work pretty well. For overnight I started using them with a blueberry wrap but now she's staying dry longer so we just use PC diapers as an every day diaper to run around the house in it.

If you're wanting to try out new types of diapers, why not try a trial package like Jillians Drawers has? That's how I started CDing. My DH really hated anything other than pocket diapers. But we got to try them out so we kept the ones we liked and bought more of those.

Good luck! We have a newborn on the way in early December and we're on the prefold fence at the moment.
Brianna (me) 32
David (DH) 32
Isabelle (DD) June 7, 2009
Olivia (DD) December 1, 2011

BFP June 27th, 2015
BriannaMarie
Addicted
Addicted

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:06 am

I use prefolds during the day, and for the most part her little tush is wet pretty quickly after a pee. We have a "schedule" for changing, though, and she's never sitting in a soaking diaper. We also use some fitteds. I like the DryBees bamboo fitteds. They have a sewn in and a snap in soaker, so those keep her dryer longer. We use those for naps. For bed, we use a BG AIO with an extra insert, and those keep her dry for the 8-10 hours she sleeps straight.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:14 pm

We used mostly prefolds up until recently and they worked great for us. She's a heavy wetter and has super sensetive skin so she was changed very frequently anyway. When the prefolds needed some extra help I added a cotton babies bottom bumper to it. My favorite night time or long car ride diaper is the Baby Beehinds bamboo fitted. It can hold soooo much!
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beegee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been meaning to post and thank you all for your input. I'm thinking of trying out your recommendations; thanks for dropping names of your fave dipes/brands! I'm thinking of buying one or two dipes a month til this new baby is here (I'm not even 7 weeks along yet so have time to build up a stash). Unless I hit the jackpot and find a good used stash online :) . And anything I get, if it's big enough I'll get to try it out on my DD (she's quite small for a 1 year old) in the meantime!

And Stefanielynn-- does your baby sleep 8-10 hrs for real? LUCKEEEEEEEEE! Mine won't even do that yet and she's 14 months! Is there an emoticon for jealousy? haha :)
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:08 pm

We use coverless fitteds at home. DD is a very heavy wetter with sensitive skin, and what I like about fitteds is they feel damp on the outside as soon as she pees, so I know right away when she needs to be changed, and she doesn't sit in it. My favorites are Bububebe. I would like to try PC sometime though!
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering